1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Not all RAM usable

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by randomgerbil, 26 Nov 2010.

1. randomgerbil

randomgerbil What's a Dremel?

Hello!

I've been having some trouble with memory.

Only 2GB of the 4 I have installed is "usable"

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit & Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (Upgraded from 32 bit vista)
    Intel i5 760 @ stock
    Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 rev 1.1 BIOS:F11
    2*2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
    Gainward GS GLH GTX460 1GB
    Spinpoint F3 1TB
    Powercool 450w modular

I think I need to enable memory remaping, but I can't find it in the BIOS

Many thanks! :)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your RAM stick is faulty.. this is usually the cause.
    You can use MemTest86 (free), to test your RAM. It's a bootable application (needs to run outside of any OS).

If it doesn't detect problem try 2 stick of RAM at the time.

3. randomgerbil

No, not the RAM. RMA'd this twice (scan) first time round they replaced my CPU, thought it was a faulty memory controller, second time no fault found. I've personaly tested with memtest and have had no problems, and also tried a differrent pair of DDR3 2GB sticks from a mate's computer to no avail. This article from AnandTech references the problem, and it seems to match the difficulties I've been having. Only thing that doesn't add up is that this was quite an early article on the P55 chipset, yet I've got this problem quite late on with sandy bridge on the horizon. No pins on the mobo are bent, the RAM is fine as far as I can tell, and as far as Scan can tell, as is the CPU.

So, the question is still how do I remap the memory?

I have also contacted Gigabyte tech support but I haven't heard anything back in about a month.

4. GoodBytes

Looks like wither your motherboard is broken, or your RAM is not compatible. It's all I can think off.

Lesson in life:
    - No mater the company, small or big, best service or worse, when someone from a company tells you we will contact you back. It means "We will NEVER call back, if it's important you will call us again"

- E-mail support service is rarely with the same company. Usually they hire some third party (usually in India) tech support firm. This firm doesn't care about you or your problem. All they want is that they come to the client that hired them and show big numbers like "Hey look, our service helped and fixed 100000000000 computer/users this week without 1 single RMA, including randomgerbil issue! We are so great!" AVOID e-mail or lice chat at ALL COST!

- Phone is the only way to get service. Company forum is second.

5. randomgerbil

Noted. Everything else on the mobo is fine, just cannot see how I could remap the memory which seems to be the problem, nothing in the manual of course!

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Did you do a clean install when you put Win 7 on? Is it even possible to upgrade to a 64bit os from a 32bit os?

7. GoodBytes

Windows already does a clean install when you hit "upgrade" in the setup when you pass from 32 to 64-bit Windows. The only difference between Clean Install and Upgrade in this case, is that Upgrade keeps your old Windows in a folder ready to be deleted, while Clean install you can perform, if you wish, a quick format, which is not to be confused with a real format (essentially it deletes the index table and all association to data, so that it's ready to written over.. kinda like if you do Ctrl+A to select all files and hit delete without the recycling bin (shift+Delete))

8. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

Backup a second, does the correct amount show in BIOS / POST screens? Also does the Bios or Memtest state the modules presence in Slot 0 and 1 or similar?

Alex.

9. GoodBytes

Like I said try a different brand of RAM of the same quantity that you have.
    If you can't access that, just go to a local computer store and buy some, and return it after.

If different RAM works, then it's a compatibility issue. If it doe snot, your motherboard needs to be RMA. While everything works on your motherboard, doesn't men that the RAM area of your board does work properly. Manufactures errors happens all the time.

10. randomgerbil

The bios screen reads that there are 2gb sticks in both slots 1 & 3 (correct for the board) and that only the memory in slot 1 is "enabled"giving me a total of 2GB as does win 7.

System Properties reads :Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (1.99 GB usable)

11. randomgerbil

I have. Have you read my posts or the article I linked explaining the problem?

I used 4gb of G.Skill DDR3 ripjaws from one of my friend's rigs and that showed the same problem, and have RMA'd the mobo, ram and CPU TWICE. first time CPU was thought to be faulty and replaced (the first one they replaced out of 1300 units or something like that) and the second no faults were found. I am aware that the rest of the mobo being fine doesnt guarantee that the slots would be fine, but it seems to me to be the problem outlined in the article I linked.

12. randomgerbil

Yes. Clean install. I belive the problem to be that the BIOS still has the 32 bit allocation table set up and that my 1gb graphics card and various other bits and bobs are taking up the rest of the allocation, leaving me with a paltry 2GB or RAM. Memory remapping should sort this out, but I can't find any mention of it in the BIOS.

13. GoodBytes

No I haven't read the article to be honest.

Before re-installing Windows:

I don't know if this will help..
    In the BIOS, select Load Optimized Default, then go to Power Management Setup. From there, see if you have something called HPET Mode, and if so, set it to 64-bit.

Then go back to the main BIOS menu, and go under MB Intelligent Tweaker > Advance Memory Setting, and set Extreme Memory Profile, to Profile 1. Now save & Quit, and see if you have any progress.

14. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

[​IMG]

What does this screen display?

Alex.

15. randomgerbil

It shows the same as that picture, but in slot 3 "enabled slot" is blank and total memory reads 2048MB

16. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

[​IMG]

And this?

Alex.

17. randomgerbil

I'll give that a shot now, the article (just the page I linked) says that this can happen with P55 boards, especialy with a i5 750 fitted. Since i5 760 is just a more recent version of the i5 750 with various tweaks and a higger multiplier it's safe to assume the problem could occur on both.

18. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

If the 32Bit OS HPET limits the total to 2GB thats a bit strange, would have thought it would have read as 3.5 or is that only if the MoBo is showing whole RAM amount and Windows is failing to address it fully?

Alex.

19. randomgerbil

Disabled
    Auto
    1333MHz
    Turbo
    Auto
    1.5v
    1.5v
    6 Auto
    4 Auto