1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigerkeen

Tigerkeen What's a Dremel?

Hello all again.

My concept of full tower (692x670x250mm).

Components in 2D:

[​IMG]

External views in 2D:

[​IMG]

And some pictures in 3D:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

My stage 1 entry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Carl

3. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Not going to have any time to polish this more before the deadline, so here's what I've got (I'll throw up my original images as well)

Drawings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sketchup Renders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior will look exactly as it is there (except for some slight changes at the back). I won't be punching any extra holes in it.

Full ATX, support for 12.5"ish graphics cards, kilowatt PSUs, etc.

The case will take 3 4x120mm rads (thin one on the bottom) or 2 4x120's up top and a 3x120mm at the bottom if the bottom rad is thicker. You can also swap the top 2 4x120's for a pair of 200mm Phobya rads. The vent holes for the top rad haven't been modeled yet (obviously), but will be similar to the ones on the bottom.

The rads intake/exhaust air without entering the motherboard chamber. In fact their will be very little airflow in the motherboard area, to the extent that the case won't be usable with air cooling period (I may design louvers to direct some air at chipset/memory, but we'll see). HDD/SSD racks will be oriented to be cooled by the air passing through the radiators, as I doubt many people will be willing to water cool these items. The PSU is oriented to intake air from the right side of the case (through the bottom radiator vents) and exhaust upwards out the left side. So in case you're totally lost with regards to how the airflow will work the case intakes air from the right side (on the horizontal surfaces of the darker boxes where they meet the lighter one) and exhaust out the left side in the same manor. Look at the red arrows in the first drawing if you still don't get it.

The inside frame consists of one piece of aluminum or steel sheet bent as shown. There are three exterior panels that attach to this. The two darker "boxes" are plastic, the one in the middle will be sheet metal. By injection moulding these plastic pieces it should attain much cleaner, crisper lines with no edge gaps.

Obviously there's still lots to sort out:

-HDD/SSD mounts
    -Pump/res locations
    -Optical drive location
    -Tolerances, dimensions, materials, finishes
    -Cable management
    -Etc.

Which is the stuff that takes a long, long time to do properly to ensure ease of manufacture. So there is a lot still to do, but as a concept I'm quite pleased with the design, which I think I'll call "Blade".

Questions/Comments?

4. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

How do you link your email submission to your entry/username here ???

Ive just stated my username in the email........ is that ok ?

or should I have put a link to my last post ???

Its taken me ages to get a submit'able (sp :lol:) design, I'd be pretty p***ed if I didnt enter properly!

lol

5. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Fear the Phobya Gladio! Designed by Danelle Vivier (Razer2007)

[​IMG]

My case is designed to provide excellent cooling performance and be very "moddable"

Specifications:
    2X 480mm radiator support
    2X WC'ing pump support
    about 4X reservoir support; 2X built-in (location will change) and 2X places for a Phobya Balancer or EK Multioption.
    6X Normal hard drive bays
    2X DVD drive bays (side mounted)
    1X 140mm exhaust fan
    1X 80mm exhaust fan
    1X ATX PSU mount
    M-atx, Atx and E-Atx motherboard compatible
    Cable management and a lot of room behind mobo tray
    2X vandal switch support
    2X fill-ports (on top with cover)
    The whole case has air-circulation!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tigerkeen

Tigerkeen What's a Dremel?

One more concept of Midi-sized tower in indastrial style.
    There is one limitation, it's designed only for mATX.

Actually it's my old idea, but it have been never created and never posted on foreign websites.
    I hope someone finds some interesting ideas for yourself.

Concept in 2D:

[​IMG]

Some renders (it's slightly different fromm 2D, but this enough to understand the 2D concept):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Well I believe that I have enough for the first stage of the competition, so here is my case:

In all the motherboard tray can be mounted in 4 different positions, and the rest of the case can be adapted to best suit these positions, but I will show the two 'main' positions.

Universal specs are 3x 5.25 bays and 6x 3.5 bays, 4 different mounts for reservoir tubes (2 over the back fans, 2 on motherboard tray), 2 pump mounts (on mid plate), 11 pci slots (enough for SR-2 with dual slot card on last slot)

Position 1: Top mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This allows you to mount 3x 3x120mm radiators (1 in front, 2 in bottom) with 3 more 120mm fans exhausting the hot air out the case. Recommended position for more extreme cooling.

Position 2: Back mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This allows you to mount 2x 3x120mm radiators (1 in front, 1 in top area) and a 2x140mm radiator (in bottom). Recommended for large spacious systems (ie SR-2) as nothing overlaps the motherboard tray allowing for plenty of space to work with.

When I say there are 4 positions I mean that the motherboard tray can be put in either way round in the slots (ie can be changed from inverted to 'standard' position, and the side panels can be put in either side so window can be put in either side.

Things to do:
    Hole in back for cables
    Fiddle around with fan holes (add more/ change them to ones I like more)
    Screw holes
    Mounts for pumps/reservoirs
    Mounts for hard drives
    Cable routing
    Mobo tray supports
    Side panels
    Case feet

Oh and no screws will be visible on the exterior, and it is roughly the same size as the 800T in its current state (will be slightly taller when feet are added)

Hope to see you next round :thumb:

8. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

Phobya G1 By DanitGeek

618mm x 634mm x 227mm (HxDxW)​

Some People say that desging is so easy even kids can do it and that is correct here is something from a 12 year old :):thumb::clap:

The Case has:

3x 5.25in Bays
    2x3.5in 1x 2.5in Bays In the side panel
    space for two vandal switches
    4x leds
    Atx E-Atx Micro Atx
    2x Pump Space
    2x Resvoir Space
    2x 480mm Raditors
    1xPsu Mount

Side View
    [​IMG]

In Between View.
    You can see the space for 4leds and 2 vandal switches
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the space for pumps.
    [​IMG]

Top View
    End Desgin Will have usb 2.0 ports and usb 3.0 port if possible
    [​IMG]

Here is the side panel.
    [​IMG]

Thanks To TO10N
    I Checked if the sr-2 will fit and i can confirm that the sr2 will fit with the top raditor still installed so in my next update tommorow morning i will adress all isuses and fix them is well as the sr-2 pci-e slots.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2010
  9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Ok, I'll submit the design I made earlier..

Designed to be more of a SFF rig than most, measuring in at 21cm x 43.5cm x 55.5cm.

The chassis is made from CNC'd 10mm smoked acrylic, with 10mm thick side panels in opaque orange.

The chassis holds a full ATX board, and has space for 1x 240 Rad and 1x 120mm rad. It has an inbuilt Res. Full-length GPU's also have more than enough room, as well as oversized PSU's.

I am still working on HDD mounting but we'll see how I do in the voting :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Reaper083

Reaper083 What's a Dremel?

Ichorous by team RR

Hi,

This is our first ever custom case, hope you guys like it. Based on mid to full tower for the e-atx lovers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome Idea for a competition

11. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Stage 1 entry by subtec

I've been working on the chassis details in a new file and that's not ready yet, so there's not much new to show. Nevertheless, here's my stage 1 entry:

Details:

* 600mm (triple 200mm) radiator support
    * Additional 140mm radiator mounting options
    * Multiple reservoir mounting locations
    * HPTX motherboard support (EVGA SR-2)
    * 10+1 expansion slots
    * 2x dedicated 5.25" bays
    * 5+1 dedicated 3.5" HDD locations
    * Three possible PSU mounting locations
    * Two configurable bays allow for additional 5.25" or 3.5" drives
    * 500mm x 210mm x 666mm (H x W x D)

Possible future additions:

* Rotated motherboard support

Images

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

People who say design is easy either:

A: have no taste

B: have no idea what makes good design good

or C: Have never gone through the process of getting a design degree ;)

That said you have a good start. You're going to have to play with it to distance yourself from the TJ07-ish design though. And you need to get some framing in there to support the unibody. Probably increase it's thickness too, 5mm should do it. And depending on the layout of the drive cages etc. you should see if you couldn't shoehorn a SR-2 in there, looks like you have enough space.

13. Reaper083

Reaper083 What's a Dremel?

A few more images for our custom case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

Whats is the exact time we have to finsh or is it like 13pm 28th or 12am today?

15. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

Ye i thought people may say that is to much like a tj07.
    I will try fitting in a sr-2 i have tried before with other desgins but my pc freezes :brrr:

16. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Just use a rectangle the size of the SR-2 with a texture on it. Don't bother with that huge model from the sketchup components collection - the dimensions are wrong on it anyway (or they were back when I downloaded it).

17. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

And Subtec wins the game. Looking absolutely awesome. Probably the only flaw I can see in it is that someone is going to have to dimension, tolerance, design the process for, and produce all those reconfigurable bits and pieces. You'll probably need more than a couple of engineers/designers to prep it for production.

That said if it does get made I could imagine this being the new Obsidian 800D

18. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Haha, thanks man. Well, there's a lot to be said for presentation, as I haven't shown anything that hasn't been seen before. Really though, this is just the beginning - we've got a couple months yet. A lot can happen in that time. Besides that, I think it's fairly clear that while you and I can appreciate that sort of design aesthetic, not everyone here does. Some people definitely seem to prefer the more utilitarian look, e.g. mick64 and jrs77's designs.

I admit that I don't have any real experience with engineering or metal working, and that's a serious shortcoming in this contest. Definitely an area where some other people here have an upper hand. I do hope they have some decent engineers to work out the details, regardless of who wins.

Btw, your design is looking pretty sharp too. The only thing I worry about is the airflow, but I guess that's a price you have to pay for the minimalist look.

19. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Indeed, indeed. If I wanted a purely functional watercooling case I would buy one of those horrific Mountain Mods cubes. But I want something attractive. Could be minimalist, or not. It would be pretty hard to pull off a non minimalist PC case though (since everything inside is boxy). And it's hard for people without experience to figure out what "nice" minimalism is. You must have some design experience because your aesthetic and proportions are spot on. I'm working toward a Industrial Design degree myself at the moment.

All that being said I think your case, and mine (of course) are the only ones I would chase down and pay big money for. I thick both of ours are totally doable given time and persistence. And at the end of the day no one ever got anywhere meaningful by taking the easy road :D

20. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Project Photon

Hello,

My entry is aimed squarely at the enthusiast such as myself. Although slightly larger than most cases, it -can- be configured with everything necessary to -completely- watercool a fully-loaded and over-clocked EVGA SR2 at less than 30db ambient noise. Why? Well I have 4 daughters, and grandkids, with more coming, so I use all of my systems at home for WCG or F@H, as well as Mechanical and Industrial Design for my own projects. That being said, I can easily scale the design down to standard ATX Tower or Mid-Tower sizes.

In the process of trying to create my entry I had quite a few hurdles pop up; a blown up laptop, no utility power to the house for several days ( the utility conpanies fault not mine ), a complete loss of project files due to virus, a national holiday, and my own tendency to procrastinate. So after working through all of these issues and having to re-create all of my files twice, here is what I have come up with.

Project Photon::

Overall dimensions:
    26" (662mm) tall
    23.4" (594mm) wide
    16" (408mm) deep

The Case has been fully dimensioned and meets all tolerances for the following components::

Motherboards: FlexATX, microATX, mini-ATX, ATX, EATX, EEATX, WTX, Ultra ATX, XL-ATX, HPTX

Power Supplies: Up to 2 ATX2.2/3 or EPS12V (including Antec oversized "CP" Series) plus 1 Auxiliary 16v/24v DC PSU for Pumps/Fans/TEC's

Hard Drive: Up to 15 standard drives, 22 9mm (laptop/ssd) drives, re-configurable drive bay also allows for Dual bay accessories such as reservoirs or touch screen fan controllers.

Optical Drive: Up to 1 externally accessible slim drive, 2 standard size drives in re-configurable drive bay

PCI card: Full Length

Radiator: Up to 1 Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080 or 2 Phobya Xtreme Quad 480 or 4 Phobya G-Changer 480 or 2 Phobya G-Changer 560 or 2 Phobya Xtreme 200

Pumps: Up to 4 Phobya dc12-400 or 4 Laing D5 or 4 Eheim 1262-210

Reservoirs: Up to 8 Phobya Balancer 150 or 4 Phobya Balancer 250

Miscellaneous: Additional mounting locations for add-on Water Cooling and/or Fan controllers such as the mcubed TBigNG, Koolance CTR-SPD10, or Alphacool HeatMaster. Most mounting locations also allow for use of vibration dampening and/or noise mitigating materials ranging from 1mm up to 30mm in thickness.

The pics that follow are my conceptual renders, I am currently working on renders with components installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Nov 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.