1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi paves the way to 24TB disks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 26 Nov 2010.

1. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

SSD will takes around 5 to 10 years to drop the price where the HDD is now.

I use both, first for speed needs, and the other for capacity of course.

However the smaller is the write, more sustained to errors it can be.

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Am I too late to drop a "24TB? We will NEVER need more storage than that, no way no how"

3. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Never say we will never need that much storage. There was a time where a 1GB drive was more than enough for the home computer. Eventually 24TB will be the minimum.

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

What do you guys mean? What makes this amount of data 'risky' in RAID5?

5. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

It is not the specific amount that is risky, but the probability of failure increases.

The probability that a hard drive will fail is largely independent on it's size and capacity, the repair time from a failure however is linear with the capacity of the drive. Larger drives take a longer amount of time to repair, for a 1 TB drive, it can take 3 or 4 hours easily with constant read and writes across all drives in the system, this step would be extremely stressful on the remaining HDDs. These remaining drives may themselves be damaged or on the verge of failure because they are of the same design as the first failure and they've undergone nearly identical usage cycles. This is not a good situation and if you expand the capacity to something close to 10TB for each drive, the repair time from the first failure could be close to a week. If a second drive fails during the repair period, you now have 2 dead disks, depending on how the controller stores the data, everything could be lost.

6. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Repair time isn't linear with capacity. The 24TB drives will be a lot faster than a 1TB drive. Unless the controller itself is already maxed out - I doubt the repair time will be significantly higher than it is now. Maybe 24hrs at most. I've also found the HD failure is practically random, just because one in the set has failed, doesn't mean the others will - they can last for years while others in the same batch fail within a few months.

7. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i think you guys are slightly mis informed if you think we will never need that size

what this means is most video and audio formats will come in raw uncompressed formats which are of a higher quiality

let me give you an example

a 24min video of anime in an mp4 container (with video in an mpeg4 and audio in lc-aac)

it will be arround 51MB (this is with a 300kbps bitrate)

the raw video data size for this low quality video comes to 3770mb

if you work with raw videos,pictures or music you will find 1tb of space does not go ver far at all

this is why most people who want the best quality have massive data stores of over 10tb+

240mins or 4 hours will be 37gb

in other words this equals 125mb a min
    or only 8000min/133hours on a 1tb hdd

i havent got very many dvd's only 100 but this would take up 1.5tb

2 hours = 120mins * 125 = 15,000 * 100 = 1,500,000mb or 1.5tb

Last edited: 28 Nov 2010
  8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Our household data storage is currently around 8tb. This is movies, files, photos, music, important documents, games, backups and random stuff.. I would welcome these HDD's :D

9. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

would need to use something like RAID 60 to even come close to safe... Now theres an expensive pRon server.

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Backing up that amount of data will be a bitch to start with - we need a more reliable storage media.
    SDDs are a step in the right direction, but still too expensive for the general public

11. kHAn_au

kHAn_au What's a Dremel?

on consumer kit sure raid 5 isnt great with 2t disks. if you have decent SMART/error prediction then youre much safer.

I agree though, they will have to crack the unrecoverable error rate nut seriously hard before even 8tb disks will of practical use.

I'd suggest doing internal mirroring in radial arcs of the spindles- it would allow for faster reads and writes as rotational latency would be divided by the number of mirrors. The controller s would have to be far smarter and robust too. Plus an enterprise grade SSD cache would be needed.

I could handle all that if it meant a reliable 8TB (24/3) disk though...

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wonder if there will be any fun and games making those interact with older versions of Windows with older LBA, especially given the fun with a "mere" 3tb disk, that I believe Bit-Tech covered back in June.

13. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

That's all fine and dandy, but with all of that extra space for buffering and swap, I have but one question...

Will it play Crysis?

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Late to the party and HDDs have very little effect to a games performance

15. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

"paves the way" = 20 years to market (if at all)

Get real folks... :)

16. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Do want

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

i got 3 2TB drives and i got 500gb left, all those HD1080P movies and HD series take a lot of space! I wanted to get rid of my movie/series collection wall to make room for other stuff. I'm half way so I need another 3 drives to convert my complete collection.

The result is a 2mx3mx20cm (hxwxd) collection gets stuffed into a 12x12x10cm size. Thats what i call saving space!

So a 24TB drive is welcome :)

18. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

... and consumers have been saying that ever since anything remotely 'radical' came out. If I am not mistaken a certain biggish corporation doubted the fact we will ever need computers to start of with.
    What I see here not 25TB only but the potential of SSD pricing being toppled, having cheaper and bigger storage available, new hardware adoption in the enterprise and small business sector coming directly or indirectly out of Hatachi's research and obviously all the other endless potential we cannot possible know about.

Not only that but it is a little now fact the amount of (useless) data that can be stored is directly proportional to how much storage one can afford (and how fast your internet connection is) :naughty:

Too bad home products (or which I know about) has no proper compression or deduplication mechanism. The business sector does not really have that problem - get this: 800GB server de-duplicated and compressed size is just under 400GB. That is a full backup and the incremental after this is just pathetic small making near continuous backups a very true and cheap reality (done with VEEAM Backup and Replication).
    I think the problem as you mentioned is we using roughly the same storage technology from production storage, archiving, home use and backup (except Tape).

Tags: Add Tags