1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

There will be a separate voting thread going up in a couple of days (I have a ton of emails to sort first!) so it will be much easier to see and vote for the designs ;)

I think given the number of designs, we'll probably opt for multiple voting too.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2010
  2. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

COOOL! BTW I sent you a PM. hope I'm not bothering. lol.

How many entries will go through to stage 2? Can I still submit another render? I already sent you the email and posted here, but I made some more, better ones! :rock:

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Oh shiiii HOURS left!

I'm gunna go to work! :eeek:

4. Combatus

We weren't sure what the response would be so haven't set a limit on the number going through to stage two yet. At the moment it will be around ten, with five going through to stage three.

5. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

Well here's my design -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With/without the Handle and covers for USB/Audio and LED's
    [​IMG]

And Finally the internals
    [​IMG]

6. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

I present to you, Goliath.

[​IMG]

Dimensions in mm:
    625(L) x 260 (W) x 700 (H)

Cooling:
    • 4x G-Changer 560 or 2x G-Changer 560 + 2x G-Changer 280
    • Upto 32 140mm fans (Excluding PSU)
    • 2x Custom PHOBYA Res or 2x EK Multioption 250

Specs (per Mobo):
    • 4x 3.5" slots
    • 1x 5.25" slot
    • Room for 2 PSUs

General Specs:
    • Swing out side panel (including Motherboard)
    • Room to mount Phobya Extreme 200 / 2x Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replacement acrylic Phobya piece to make room for PSU, EK Multioptions x2 as reservoirs
    [​IMG]

If used with 1 motherboard, ability to close off the IO panel
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking time to review this :D

7. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Tick tock tick took....

8. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Ok, it's gettin late now, just finished rendering. Here is my final concept. Please keep in mind that as this is a concept stage, this is still a concept, no definate decisions have been made to case structure as of yet, I thought the best method of creating the case was by placing the components first.

[​IMG]

Three separate compartments, two rad cases at the sides and motherboard components in the middle with a rotated motherboard.

Each compartment is separatable, (watercooling by bulkhead quick release connectors) so the back case can be left off if needed. Possibilities also include using for HD's etc.

Main material is mesh with metal supports.

Part of the idea of this design was to create a case that could be placed on desk or under, left or right, and still be comfortable to use. Therefor there are disc drives and power button panels on top and on the side, front and back.

[​IMG]

Exploded view of the main compartment minus components.

At the sides the tapped/threaded pins that mount the rad cases to the main case. So to remove rad case, undo four big thumbscrews and two quick release connectors and its gone.

Barely visible at front is plexi window to stop dust creeping into case through the front. So the only areas that will be open to air above and below the motherboard.

The plane down the middle acts as a barrier to the other components, with has plentiful cutouts for cable/tubing routing.

U-shaped frame at each side provides most of support. This supports can also support multiple 2.5 drives in development. Already housed are slim line disc drives and 3.5 bays with power reset and flow/temperature readouts for the front watercooling loop.

[​IMG]

The base holds a mount for the fan/fans. As this can fit a 200mm fan or 4 120mm fans, blowing air up through the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shows one of the watercooling loops also the base fan as an antec big boy.

[​IMG]

Above is an exploded view of the radiator case minus mesh cover and front facsia.

At the front fans pushing air through

Next is the main structure for the compartment, which also doubles as a shroud for the radiator. This removes the dead spot in the middle of the fan produced by the motor.

At the rear an angled plate is used to force the air sideways out of the mesh at front and back.

The reservoir and pump are at the leading edge of the case to show off. The pump is fasted to the floor and the res is mounted onto the rad. A fillport is suspended directly above the res.

[​IMG]

Showing the opening compartment to gain access to the IO ports, and access to the removable motherboard tray. I still havn't dicided where to exit cables out of the case, thats left to development stage.

[​IMG]

A shot of the rear of the motherboard tray. This houses all the ugly components, HD's, PSU, cables and finally 2 upward facing 5.25 drive bays.

Which can be used for several purposes eg

[​IMG]

An upwards facing res

or a fan/watercooling loop moniter

[​IMG]

There are many more cusomisation and cofigurations available but didn't have time this round to create drive cages etc. More on that in development.

Sorry about the poor quality renders, time restraints again, I hope this will not harm my chances,

For those worried about structure, I do not want any of the mesh as supporting, just as a wrap around cover.

I have probably missed loads of great points of the design, but its late and my head is fuzzy.

Signing off.

9. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Didn't realize I was out of time, Here is a wuick pic of a standard ATX Motherboard on the Motherboard tray, keep in mind the tray is sized for an SR2.

[​IMG]

10. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

not got the hang of rendering yet but heres a rendered pic anyway

[​IMG]

EDIT 12:01 doh!

I suppose as I've allready handed in my submission you could use the rendered image ???

good luck everyone!

:thumb:

11. aeidau

aeidau Industrial Designer

aeidau

E-ATX full tower
    sorry it was late due to uploading problems and I only heard about it 30mins ago so no cad or wacom renderings :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Nov 2010
  12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ok, i'm clearly NOT done, but i'm all out of time (i hope you will forgive met the few minutes that i'm late :eek:)

Anyway, this round is all about the concept, and i think the concept is clear from the following pictures. What i ask of the voters is to look past the rough edges, and see the potential in the form factor.

Basicaly, the case is devided in three main compartments. The bottom, housing the HDDs and ODDs, the back vertical part that houses the radiators and the PSU, and then the main front chamber that shows off the motherboard and the pretty watercooling parts.

[​IMG]

The transparent part can be taken off completely, allowing access to the hardware. The top hinges up to manage cables. All cables will exit the case at the back, in the gap between the roof and the PSU. There is also a possibility to route all the external cables to the left or right. This will ensure a clean look, even when the PC is up and running on your desk.

[​IMG]

In the back and bottom, you can see there is a lot of place left. Flexibility is the key here. There will be place for a lot of radiators, up to a MORA 1080 rad if you install the PSU in the bottom, or a lot more HDDs if you stick to the current setup.

13. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Ok guys what can I say the entries have been GREAT!

Its now that time to close stage one and open this contest up to the first voting stages.

Combatus will update you on the rules, how many votes you get and how many will go through shortly.

Good luck! :rock:

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Awesome designs! Good Luck to everyone who entered!

[​IMG]

I like this design from an "ease in manufacturing" view point. The concern over the optical drive location can be easily sorted.

15. Razer2007

Thank you for the awesome competition!!

16. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Woot! I can't wait to see all the designs side by side. This will be very tough vote, there are SO may great designs! :thumb:

Thanks Bill!

Good luck to everyone who entered and a big thank you to Aquatuning, Phobya and Bit-Tech for putting the contest together!

17. Combatus

EVERYONE WHO ENTERED PLEASE SEE THE LIST BELOW

If you have entered and your name isn't in there please let me know ASAP!

I also need forum names for some entries, please see below.

We have entries from:

• confusis
    • Deniss Lepicevs (please let me know your forum name)
    • geort45
    • GF4rce
    • GuilleAcoustic
    • Kryss2K
    • jrs77
    • ĿªЪяεġø™
    • mickcox64
    • MrMads
    • ragged17
    • Razer2007
    • Roboduck
    • ixmatal
    • Shuper'_Luu'
    • SnowyOwl
      [*]subtec - please send me the other images- I only have your second email
    • Ta10n
    • Wing Zero
    • Tigerkeen
    • tozsam
    • Trance
    • viljoenp
    • Xtrafresh
    • xXSebaSXx
    • Zesti
    • Zukomonitor

We don't appear to have had final design emails from - Reaper083, danitgeek,rayson, blackbriar,Vehement, smash_mouth01, Tyetree and A-Dub. If you still want to take part, please email your final designs to modding@bit-tech.net

If you entered and you're name isn't in the list please email us at modding@bit-tech.net or reply to this thread and I'll get in touch.

Well done on some awesome work! :thumb:Voting will start in the next week or so - as soon as I've gone through the hundreds of photos! Didn't think we'd get this many entries!:hehe:

18. Razer2007

19. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

So it looks like between 27-35 entries, of which about a third will go to stage 2. It'll be a long few days until voting starts!

@everyone who entered - good luck!

@combatus - sent you a pm

20. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.