1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 OMG You need to join PS Plus for a system setting?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikeuk2004, 8 Nov 2010.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Just browsing my system settings and noticed that the PS3 has a Automatic Download setting which allows the PS£ to auto download system updates and game updates etc.

However when I go to activate it I cant. Its a system setting exclusive to playstation plus subscribers. WTF?

Why on earth would you lock a system setting to a subscription base. Can you imaging having to pay MS a monthly fee to use windows update?

I cant believe the direction games and consoles are heading.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Evidently, automatic download is a feature that PS Plus offers. I don't see the problem?

3. October

October Mariachi Style

That definitely used to be free, I had to wait to play for an hour more than a few times so the damn thing could update itself.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I thought the auto download feature was just to automatically download new demos added to the store?

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

thats what i thought when i read it

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I don't see the problem, last week I tried to go on the PSN store (see if there's any good demos) it said I needed to update, so I went to system settings and clicked update. No problems.

I doubt system updates are released that regularly, so I don't really see the problem.

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Wait 'til the Xbox Live users get a load of this...

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one but I agree with Kiytan here.

I prefer to update when I choose in any case so early adopters can first check to see if there are problems with a new update.

9. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its just a case of the op freaking out when he updated his ps3 and it added a psn plus setting that only psn plus users can change. really isnt a big deal

10. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

I think its more of a case of him freaking out because he feels its wrong to charge a customer just so they can change a system setting.

11. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

to change a setting that you have to pay to use when he hasnt paid

why would he want to change a setting on psn plus if he doesnt have psn plus

if he doesnt have psn plus the setting is useless to him

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Downloading game updates in the background sounds handy - I wish this alone were offered on a cheap subscription service. There's little more frustrating than thinking, 'Ooh I'll just have a quick go of xyz' only to be sat there 10 minutes waiting for the latest update to install.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yeah, I have PSN Plus and I never noticed this! The amount of times I have had an hour to play and had to sit through 30 mins of update/install - this sounds very handy!

Going off to set this on now...

14. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Ah i feel extremely silly now, i misread
    erm
    il go and sit the corner

15. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

no worries

16. ChriX

ChriX ^

This annoyed me too. I have a slow (<1Mb) broadband connection, so when I can't play something because it needs about 4 hours worth of updates it makes the whole setup pointless. This is a major contributing factor to why I don't play PS3 much anymore - I bought LBP in 2008, then GT5 last week, nothing else. Finally they have answered this by offering to do it automatically, but I need to pay to have this? I don't care that it wasn't there when I bought the console - I could play online without updates when I bought the console too. Probably my last console given the direction things are headed, but not regretting the PS3 purchase as it has been a great BR player.

'You cannot perform background download of this content' :miffed:

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The automatic download is not the same as a normal update, you can still update you games same way as you have always done no loss, its the same way you would do it on 360 or PC too, you also don't have to apply updates, this is a convenience feature the console turns itself on updates and switches off, it still won't do it in the background updates with this option well you are playing so I kinda of fail to see what the fuss is about.

If you like the feature pay the sub if you don't then just do it the same as everyone else. Still not seen enough value for me on PSN plus but I was tempted tempted recently with the extra 3 months, cheap PSN credit and reduced PSN games. are people seeing value in it?