1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wikileaks' latest leak

Discussion in 'Serious' started by tristanperry, 28 Nov 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

New Scientist posts the argument for leaking straight from the horse's mouth:

You could accuse him of being naive if he didn't make such good sense.

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Naive but still powerful. He probably never anticipated becoming an international villain. Outstanding (and utterly ridiculous) rape charges in Sweden, the yanks accused of trying to get his passport cancelled in Australia, and the Australians trying to find anything they can to charge him with. The US considering charging him with breaking espionage laws.

What with international extradition treaties and interpol, the guy is either going to have to get some of this legal trouble squared away, or go to ground somewhere neutral and freedom loving, Switzerland would be the obvious choice.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would put money on him disappearing tbh.

Before this the comments I've read from him* have been just egotistical beyond naive. Regardless of the merits of his work, he clearly enjoys his self elected position of power.

*apparently

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

He won't disappear, he's too high profile to be euthanised. He might be character assassinated and then jailed though. Many would object, but many would be happy.

As for him enjoying his position, I don't understand why that would be a criticism. It's hardly self-elected, he has worked hard to achieve a fantastic goal and he enjoys being in the limelight and having achieved that goal.

5. Nexxo

Don't all self-proclaimed idealists, whether politicians or 'freedom fighters'?

Whether it is Al-Qaeda or the Bush-Blair combo, they all think that they are on a mission from God and personally appointed to save the world from itself. This is why I always argue against trying to save people from their perceived oppression without their explicit and informed consent. The first rule of being a therapist is: It is never about you. The second rule of being a therapist is: It is always about you.

In any case, Ecuador of all places has already offered Assange refuge. Irony, anyone?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, there is a team that works on it. The website should be the movement for good, not one man giving interviews. How the world loves its celebrities.

7. Nexxo

Not the first time people focus on the person at the expense of the message (eh, Jesus?). Don't blame the man for the adulation or vilification by the masses. As Brian found, once people decide you're the messiah (or just a naughty, naughty boy) it doesn't matter how much you protest. :)

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

We need our celebrities. We crave a charismatic morally driven leader. All he has done is give a consistent face to that new form of leadership. The man is a rallying point, nothing more. It's what the organisation has done which really changes things, and smart people realise it's not about him, but rather about the organisation. Still, if you want the public's support and weight then you need to appeal to what they want, and they want celebrity.

9. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

To disapear now would be interesting though its still possible, im suprised the us has not made the website disapear, alot of people want it gone.

Truth is important but there are times when the truth is better left unsaid as it does more harm then good.

10. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Cue the perfect yes minister quote.....
    "My dear boy, it is a contradiction in terms: you can be open or you can have government."

Well, Assange has definitely made a few top level enemies no matter what his motives or inclinations.........

As of about an hour ago, Assange has been added to Interpols most wanted list.

Mucho Clicky Here...

A sex crime in Sweden that happened during last summer apparently.

Fairly easy to mock up and the cynicist in me is screaming "How fortunate that this happened this close after a leak?"

The Herculean american government is aiming for the neck of the hydra it seems....

Nic

Last edited: 1 Dec 2010
  11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I don't think the Interpol bit is new. You may remember after the Afgan release he was arrested on the same charges and released a day or so later because there were no charges.

I've heard it speculated that the next project is info on Russian corruption and that the Russians WILL make it stop. Remains to be seen.

For all the screaming that's been going on about how horrible Wikileaks is, I think a lot of people are missing the quieter support he has. The suggestion that WL should be designated a "foreign terrorist organization" was laughable and Sarah Palin's comment that he should be hunted down like a terrorist was even better.

I've spent a fair bit of the last two days reading the cables at work, and while interesting, they are singularly not very exciting. I think id the diplomatic traffic of any nation were to be revealed it would look pretty much the same. I'm finding reading the raw traffic very interesting. Ity's like getting actual opinions about whats going on instead of news reports.

12. Nexxo

And who decides what is told and what remains secret? The politicians and diplomates revealed in these very leaks to be the prejudiced, corrupt, egomaniacal, selfish, inept, ignorant and sometimes just plain dumb humans that they are?

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

14. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I've loved those videos from Korea since russell howard started showing them on good news LOL

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The pellet was done on a city street in London back in 1978. The Bulgarians used ricin toxin in a "launcher" hidden in an umbrella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

16. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

It is curious that a swedish arrest warrent was issued last month and he was issued as a red notice on Interpol even though the claims have been withdrawn.....although looking at interpols site, it isnt in the least bit specific as to why or what he has supposed to have done.

The dirty tactics campaign moves forward...

Nic

17. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Its a hard balance, though mostly it all remains secret or if it does get out and things happen for the good or worse.

Though thats what humanity is with power, the system has never been 100% and proably will not, too many flaws in people.

Though reading through the reactions, the damage is embarrising but nothing really serious what will mostly likely happen is tougher law's in future to prevent this.

Is there not the us soldier that is awaiting trial with a expected 50 years in jail term for leaking the documents.

18. Nexxo

52 years in fact. Someone who murders a young mother and her baby get less.

Although there has been much bleating about how these leaks threaten security and will cost lives, nobody has been able to prove that they do. Both a Pentagon and a UN spokesman have expressed their doubts about it.

If governments want to keep secrets they could stop losing unencrypted laptops all over the place. They could start encrypting their military communications so insurgents armed with a laptop, £16,-- of software and a home satellite dish can't hack them. I've got more security on my home wifi router and my memory stick.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2010
  19. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Their security does need to be vastly improved, though with leaks they may put more investment into protection.

Though the sentencing in the US and UK differs alot, with the leaks not being able to prove any harm there have been documents that have not been published by the 5 papers, the guardian has withheld publishing certain pieces. Overall its more a embarsement to most goverments and politicians.

20. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Haven't really been on the forums much lately, but it's good to see that nothing has really changed since the last major Wikileaks controversy - once again the toothless mainstream media decide to pick apart the messenger rather than deal with the message.

It's times like this that I really wonder if the majority of us even deserve what freedoms we have left, as we all seem to so easily give up anyone who dares exercise them.

It looks like someone had a quiet word with Ecuador.