1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Schwalbe Marathons if you want some tread and good protection or Continental Ultra Gator Skins if you want something lighter and faster rolling. There's plenty of other stuff out there but both are safe bets. I don't have an experience with the Armadilos but hear good things.

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Suppose I'll post some pics of my bike I built a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pure retro. 1995 Kona AA with '98 Rock Shox SID's and full M952 XTR components. A couple of things have changed since these pics, including a different mint set of SID's, an M952 XTR front mech and some egg beater pedals. The rear wheel also needed rebuilding after a crash, so the Hope Ti Glide hub was laced to a nice Mavic X517 rim. Still really need a front Hope Ti suspension hub laced to an X517 to finish the build off nicely, but both the hub and rim are hard to source.

Would like to get a similar age Kona Hei Hei/King Kahuna frame at some point to replace the very used AA one on there at the moment, but those things are bloody expensive and hard to find. Haven't had time to get out atall in the past year either, so it would probably go to waste!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

Used lovingly in London everyday, and now rocking a pair of Speicalized Armadillos.

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

This is what I use to get to work, they're actually amazing how well they grip in the snow

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Just got this

[​IMG]

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Went out in the snow and sleet this morning and I have to say im VERY impressed with them, really grippy, no real difference in turns of ride quality compared with the slick Bontragers i had on there. I definitely feel much more confident using these in the current conditions.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Wow, that lock will stop me picking it up and walking away :p

Cock!

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh that's nice Jamie. What's the bike tally at now? :p

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just use that when im on the train, even when im sitting across the isle from it..

Normally done up with a big ABUS D-lock and braided cable.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Love it man, looks a lot like my Specialized.. which I miss dearly.

Got a question for you, when I get my bike back at xmas, I want to stick some new tyres on it, it's long over due for some, had the same ones on since I got the bike nearly 2 years ago.

I looked at the Armadilos you put on yours, just how good are they? And are they these?

11. Jamie

4 bikes now :D

2010 Trek Session 8 (Downhill duties)
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 (Trail / aggressive XC / AM)
    Dialledbikes Holeshot (4X race bike)
    Raleigh steel road bike from 1990 :thumb:

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I stand by my previous statment, but you can keep the Raleigh :p

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Sounds good Mankz, definately worth getting the extra grip with the weather at the moment. Hate the feeling of the front end starting to slip away from you :worried:

Nice Jamie, 2011 models look very nice :D. My Remedy isn't very shiney anymore :waah:

I've accidently bought a secound hand road bike. I was planning on buying a new one next year but this was too good a deal to miss. It's far beyond my road riding ability and ammount I ride but I won't need to replace it or upgrade it.

Lemond Tete de Course (titanium & carbon) with Dura Ace 7800, Thomson, Chris King, Mavic wheels.
    Don't have any photos of the bike but here's one from Google.
    [​IMG]

14. Jamie

Did you have any luck fitting a chain device on the Remedy Fibre?

15. wst

wst Minimodder

From the last page... reply forthcoming or not?

16. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I went for a Blackspire Stinger with a Gamut bash ring (22/36). The Blackspire was under £20 and I haven't lost the chain so it's done a good job for the money.

[​IMG]

There wasn't as much choice at the time so I would consider the Gamut P30 or E Thirteen Heim 2RS if I was buying now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

was meant for track and still is, but he rides it on street.. back acheeeeeeee

18. Jamie

Thanks, I was looking at the blackspire as it's pretty cheap. My worry with an e13 DRS is the huge backplate but that Heim looks like a lighter weight and would do the job just as well.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

These ones

I have to say, im REALLY impressed with them, definitely worth the investment.

20. bagman

bagman Minimodder

you guys have really nice bikes but what do you do to make sure they don't get stolen? I have got my own solution but I want to know yours