1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. RadEd

RadEd What's a Dremel?

Wow, every updated has me hooked even more!

Where did you get the yellow temp display from?

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

edge rubber cover = U-channel.

Nice work!

3. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Love that res man, interesting to see how you have the plex pieces held together. I've been curious about that, and that rig you made for the pump, and..... :D whole thing is coming along great!

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys! I' happy you like it! it's getting closer to the finish, I hope you will still like it when its done;) I'm still have few things in my mind that I haven't showed or mentioned, so it should all look nice when finished.. hopefully till end of the year...

Thanks man, I bought display on ChilledPC site, tom just got yellow one, I believe specially for me:blush:

Thanks Nutman! Yep, U channel, forgot that name:D

Thank you my friend! Yeah, this ring res cover was a tricky one, I designed all on Sketchup but didn't know if that will still look good in reality. Tom cut it on nicely for me and now its time to play Lego - put it all together and glue it. It will have two comb shape pieces that will hold those rings, then middle piece which will hold 10 leds inside of very thin column. Whole thing will be closed with rear long piece and top and bottom rectangles, all attached to the reservoir form the top.
    This temperature monitor display will also be attached to this - it has to be together, cause if pump goes out in the back with rear main panel, lcd goes with it cause its plugged in the res.
    I have to design a holder for it now...

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am really impressed my friend for one more time! Keep on modding man for ever!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wrong :nono:.

It looks pretty amazing :clap::jawdrop::rock::D:thumb:.

7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:jawdrop:
    With great attention to details you made a little jewel
    Congratulations once again!!!

8. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

can't wait to see it light up :D

wolfie

9. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice work phinix, this is looking sweeeet :)

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*wobbly rings on res*

You meant 'knobbly' right?

It's a cool look. If you have room, go for it.:D

11. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

very nice phinix, really is... :thumb:

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys!!!

I'm about to start doing all finishing touches - all acrylic bits to be glued and every time I see them I feel like I'm gonna be sick :lol: There are so many!!! Next week I'm sending aluminium parts to be powder coated, that will take a week and I have to take care of all acrylic pieces, glue them and make them ready to attach to Tower. Also, before I send Tower to powdercoat, I need to glue all those combs - that is 4 combs, 6 pieces each, each piece will have 3 leds behind, that is... 72 holes need to PERFECTLY aligned and drilled!!! :blah:
    I feel so much pressure, really! :worried: I hope it will all go fine and will look nice, cause if it wont, I'm gonna dig a huge hole and bury myself ;)

13. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

NO, don't you get yourself in a rush panic and ....."OH NNNNNOOOOOooo!" :p

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Gawd, I read that last post like a kid that had washed down a tube of blue smarties with a can of red bull! and breath.... Like LooseNeutral said, take it easy and make sure its perfect :D

We have faith :D

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

No probs - I'll try to keep myself together my friend! :)

Haha:D Thanks, I'll try! :)

OK, weekend passed, I did a hell lot of work on Tower to be honest. I glued ALL 4 combs! Yes, I thought I'm gonna die from the fumes of that glue I was using (tensol 13 or sth like that), but I managed to do them all, so YAY!:)
    They look ok, I'm still not happy of the finish what this Tensol glue gives - I can see some kind of clear stains between pieces, but I guess there is no other way to do it without a sign of some solvent. I was surprised that they all ended up good and straight!
    Now, tonight I will re-attach them and draw lines to know where to drill. I need to drill those 72 holes that will be exactly under every "fin" of those combs. 3 holes under each of them. it should look good when light up. It won't look like I wanted it to look I think, but that's because I don't know how to make this kind of effect anyway so its cool:) Leds will light up most part of the acrylic fins, so it will look nice and give yellow/orange glow effect. What I wanted to achieve was a nice even glow on whole piece of acrylic but I guess that would need to be done some other way. Anyway - still nice! :)

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  16. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

ditto!

17. dralix

dralix What's a Dremel?

the yellow acrylic looks very nice

18. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Thats some amazing work, i can really appreciate how much effort has gone in! I dont know how you have the patience for all that metal work, i get sick of it after a while :p

Loving this build, cant wait to see it fininshed!

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

HAHA!:) Yes, all your leds will have their own place, I spent SO much time on drilling all those holes, I could say all the lighting for the Tower took me the most time of my work:)
    But it's worth it, I can't wait to see result, all powder coated and all lights built in and on...

Thank you!

Thank you very much! I know exactly what do you mean, I have to say aluminium is a very nice material, however it needs a lot of time, more than acrylic. ...and it is definitely not a material to work on in your house! ;) Amount of "aluminium carpet" I had to hoover is enormous...:lol:

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK guys, small update here - I made last small tweaks to my Tower aluminium parts, cleaned them up and flat packed it. Yep, it is THAT moment of the project where all pieces go to powder coat place. Courier will pick up the 5kg package full of aluminium today and will take it to Tom in ChilledPC, who will take this to powdercoating place. It should be with me in a week.
    All I can do now is sit down, wait... and pray that when I get it all back and put together all the stuff will fit in! :D
    If I find some time tonight, I will put on photos of last work I did and the whole Nano Tower flat packed:)

Last edited: 13 Dec 2010