1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Bärsärkar-gång, 25th December, no update; Every Who down in Whoville says...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mach, 31 Jan 2010.

1. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

You do a great job, the parts are all looking very cool. The detail work is excellent.

2. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

At first I was like :jawdrop: but then I was like :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Seriously, this is one of the most amazing mods I've ever seen. With every scroll of the mouse wheel, my mind got more blown.:thumb:

3. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks gentlemen! More on the way soon.

Thanks Zds, I'll give it a try with some gel filters that I have laying around. You've definitely piqued my curiosity. :)

Thanks Waynio!

Thank you stonedsurd! Not sure if it'll be overkill once the case is plated but we'll see.

With the added bonus of not requiring all the pulling of wires :). Thanks Cheaps!

Thanks ringo, I appreciate it.

Thanks fluxtatic! :D

4. dafour

dafour I hurt my finger

These are some mad skills at work.
    Super!

5. crazycooler

crazycooler Air cooling maniac

Nice details!!!!!
    Keep up the good work

6. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I'm at work so my procrastination has to be brief and I haven't had time to catch up 100% on the log just yet so if this has already been said then just don't count my rambling... but if your going for a crackling paint effect then this is something cool that I have used in the past you might be interested in. I don't have pictures of my version of it right now but this is a link to who gave me the idea, so credit is given where credit is due. He's a real cool guy and was kind enough to give me a quick rundown of how he got that look.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=44697

More or less here is what he told me... you use spray paints, but its the combination of normal and florescent paints that makes it awesome. First you spray down your base coat with the normal paint, wait a few seconds, and then spray a little fluorescent over it. The fluorescent paint dries faster than the normal paint and as a result it pulls on the slightly dry film that has formed on normal paint and creates a sort of crazing effect. It takes a little practice but if you do it right it looks real sweet. I definitely think if you found a nice color combination for the case it could be fitting.

Also, I know its steam punk so if your thinking of using a metallic paint for the case it might also work with something like bronze and black paints or something similar. I'm not sure so again you would need to play around, but I know when I've used it I've really enjoyed the results

And of course... still loving your mod!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

7. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks dafour and crazy cooler!

Wow, thanks for the info! The paint job that you linked is amazing and worth printing to a PDF for the modding file. The effect that I'm looking for is one of chipped or cracked paint not so much the crackle effect. (Although I'm itching to track a black on red crackle for another project).

For reference see this thread at the model train forums:
    http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26902

I'm going to try painting on a coat, letting it dry and then pulling some off with masking tape. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

The case will be plated in a bronze and brass and hopefully patina'd. That is if I can find someone who can handle the plating. Otherwise, I'll look into powder coating. Glad that you like the mod and thanks for watching! :)

On to the update, spent Thanksgiving holidays getting over the flu and re-doing the frame for the Blu-Ray DVD.
    [​IMG]

The old frame wasn't laid out as well as it could have been. A little solder and some screws…
    [​IMG]

No your eyes aren't deceiving you the frame isn't square.
    [​IMG]

The holes in the base are shifted off center so a little adjustment was necessary. The joys of found case modding :)
    [​IMG]

The knurled nuts used to adjust the height of the drive.
    [​IMG]

The case slot with the drive in place. Next up the frame for the SSD and the Arduino circuit board.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower
    [​IMG]

Galaxy
    [​IMG]

HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

:thumb:That's very neatly tucked in there, I approve :thumb:

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

The brass is so...arousing :)

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

My favorite mod is back with updates woot!! :) Nice job there buddy!

11. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks, more on the way to be submitted for your approval :D

Well Priapus, you should look away now cause it only gets brass-ier from here. :naughty:

Thanks man, keep watching.

Not an update to the mod this time but a couple of new materials that you might find interesting. The first is Sugru. It's like silicone clay that you can mold and it cures in the shape you molded it into.

[​IMG]

What makes it interesting is that it doesn't require baking to cure, it stays flexible or rubbery to the touch, and being that its silicone, it sticks to whatever you put it on (glass, metal, wood, leather), its heat resistant to 180C and cold resistant to -60c.

As it's silicone, it should also act as a decent insulator for wiring. As far as possible uses, wire wrap, case feet, vibration dampener, soft touch buttons, or flexible mold material for duplicating parts all come to mind.

[​IMG]

The other material is bronze flex tubing that I found at http://under-the-ice.com/. It has 12mm od and 7mm id so it's a little thin for hard lining a water cooling loop but if you're looking for piping for wiring. Its unique stuff that I haven't seen used before.
    [​IMG]

12. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That Sugru stuff looks very interesting. I've never heard of it before.

That bronze flex tubing looks very nice, although at $6 per foot, its a bit steep for sleeving.

13. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

Wow this gets better every time i see it, keep up the good work :D
    Especially love that sleeving you used for the tubing, fits in perfectly

14. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well before you spend oodles on Surgu (sweet stuff but pretty expensive) you might take a look at this

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/

Its not exactly the same (obviously because its a DIY) but the comments on the instructional seem to generally be very positive. I can't vouch for this myself as I haven't tried it but thought you might be interested in giving it a whirl if you end up needing more Surgu. Funny you had just bought some as literally stumbled on this while searching on making custom o-rings only two days ago :hehe:

If you end up giving it a try let me know about your results!

15. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I'm still convinced this whole mod is just a scheme by Mach to never use any components ever used before in any mod or other scratch build ;)

16. asura

asura jack of all trades

Use the bronze flex tube AS the tubing... now that would be cool :p

17. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

I had a chance to talk with the inventor at Maker Faire. Very smart hacker and nice too. True enough about the tubing being pricey. Not sure it is ideal wire sleeving but its cool stuff. This is a little more cost effective...copper cloth sleeving.

[​IMG]

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Wow thanks for that! I didn't know about Oogoo. I'll have to try it. I actually got a bunch of Sugru for free from the makers when I modded it with phosphorescent powder. I posted it to their blog and they sent me more. I didn't realize it has a shelf life so it's all about to go bad if it hasn't already.

It's not a good idea it's part of the theme. :) Anything that the folks in Rapture, the undersea city of Bioshock, might have had...like stingray and cloth wrapped wire. Points also for anything that involves a technique that they might have used like fused water blocks and etching. :thumb:

Agreed it's a little restrictive though. About double this OD and then you're talking.:rock:

Last edited: 4 Dec 2010
  18. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

um... copper cloth or copper colored polyester, wide shoe lace?

they should cover very nicely... just that they're not so friendly to slightest heat source...

19. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I like your excuse :)

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's a grand experiment. One that adds new life to the entire modding community.

.and useful links.:D