1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a taster...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 4 Dec 2010.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Now that I've gotten some of my folding machines rebuilt, relocated and restarted, I thought I'd give you a taste of what is to come from my farm in 2011:

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that there are four 9800GT's, one Q6600, three GTX 295's and one 980x missing from that. This is just the beginning ;)

Last edited: 4 Dec 2010
  2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Nice set up :D

Any idea of the electricity consumption when folding?

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Lovely stuff. Yesterday I thought we were having a "bad" day and we still got 4 million :)

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Pics or it didn't happen?
    Just give us pics, nice farm ;)

5. Unicorn

Cheers :) To be honest I have no idea what this new setup is costing me electricity wise, as I've only just finished rebuilding the last of what's currently running and actually ran them for a couple of weeks in their new location, my workshop. I get the bills quarterly and haven't got a usage meter in here yet, that's something which is on my Christmas list though ;) I can almost guarantee that whatever the 4 or 5 machines are using will only be a drop in the ocean compared to what the rest of the stuff in the workshop uses... and I've turned the heating off completely because they are keeping the place warm enough :hehe:

As you can see from the names in HFM.net, there are 4 machines currently running;

DualRig - 2x heavily overclocked 8800GTS's & 1x heavily overclocked and liquid cooled Q6600 - 3.2GHz
    QuadRig - 4x overclocked 8800GS's & a power hungry Athlon 64 X2 6400 BE
    Classified - Actually isn't running on the EVGA X58 Classified board at the moment because it's with EVGA being warranty tested and hopefully replaced soon - that machine is running on a spare Asus P6T Deluxe with a 3.9 GHz i7 920 and just one of the GTX260's is overclocked and folding - It's too hot with both running clients unfortunately
    NewRig - Just finished this one recently - another Q6600 at it's stock 2.4 GHz (until I modify the mounting bracket for a Swiftech Apogee GT to mount on it) and a pair of 9600GT's which are on loan to me at the moment whilst a pair of my XFX 9800GT's help a friend out. That's all running in a Biostar Tpower I45 which it looks like I'm going to have to change - it disables the second PCI-E slot when you're not running crossfire! :\ I'll eventually get another quad SLI board for it and load up all 4x 9800GT's

I need to get a couple more power supplies in the new year - I had to build that last machine with my spare Corsair 750W PSU from a test bed in the workshop, and the Classified machine is using about 90% of the available wattage when both the i7 and one of the GTX 260's are folding :eek:

Sorry, I'd love to post some pics of what's still to come at this point, but as some folks here who have been following my progress will already know, the 3x 295's and 980x are part of a modding project which I've been keeping the lid closed on until it's at a stage where I can publish it to both bit-tech's modding and folding community. I will see about getting some pics of what's running and updating my farm project log though (see sig) :thumb:

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Would love to see the Gulftown + 295 GTXs in action, that would push you into competition with our biggest folders :)

7. Unicorn

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan ;) But as you may know from what I've said in the past, that project has three purposes - to both bring me into contention with the bigger producers higher up the team leaderboard, make a larger contribution to F@H in the process and most importantly, show or bring F@H to the masses of modders here on bit-tech who don't know anything about it and never venture into the folding section.

As I've said all along though, I'm not willing to release that project until I'm completely happy with it's progress and am sure I can take it all the way.

8. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Really nice farm Uni!! I know you've mentioned it before but I particularly like the bold intent of bringing folding to the modding masses.

You've also reminded me that I still need to return that faulty GTX295 :duh: They'll probably replace it with a GTS450 at this point :sigh:

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

There's no way they can justify that.
    Fight them, the 295 is still a very powerful card!

10. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

No need to be alarmed, they haven't done it yet. EVGA just have a tendency to send a replacement of their choice without having discussed it beforehand. If they do replace it, I'm hopeful that it will be with something truly equivalent.

11. Unicorn

Cheers mate. Yeah I really hope the Folding project gets some recognition from my efforts.

I also hope EVGA replace your GTX295 with an equivalent card - I know what you mean about them having a tendancy to send something different with no prior discussion.

I've updated the pic in the first post after entering my EOC and Stanford user details in HFM.net to make the info at the bottom of the window accurate - hadn't done that since installing it on my laptop.

[edit]

I just pulled both 9600GT's from the machine called "NewRig" because I was only able to use one of them and it was, frankly, rubbish - producing only 3300 PPD most of the time. I've put my trusty cooling modded GTS250 in there and cranked the core up from 700MHz to 850 which has yielded me a result of 5600 PPD from that card. Much better :thumb:

12. Unicorn

My folding i7 just finished and returned it's first bigadv WU since the Chimp Challenge! That puts me back in the 80's at 86th in the team. The GTS250 mentioned above has also been kicking ass overnight, I see it's running just a few PPD off 6K - not bad for a £70 graphics card (a year ago) and a £20 cooler :thumb:

I'm working on a retention plate for the waterblock that's going on that stock-speed Q6600 today - I want 3.2 GHz out of it like the other one! :D

13. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Great stuff Matt, coming along well andyou'll soon be producing some phat PPD, keep up the good work mate :D