1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Best Graphics Card for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Dec 2010.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

i liked the article - I am also happy to give 3d performance stats on a 9800gx2 if someone tells me how???

and then others could also run and fill in this comments section with their stats.. and then we could all have a point in over clocking and showing which one is larger...

like wiki ya no?

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

wow, there's a lot of hate on here all of a sudden -isn't it the season of goodwill? :)

I thought the article was an interesting comparison of current cards, however i prefer the type of articles that Custom PC do now (and i'm sure bit-tech used to do) which pick a game and then analyse the graphics etc and give tips on how to tweak the performance by dropping AA levels etc (plus any known config tweaks).

Of course a lot of games these days are ports, but i'd also like to see some more interviews with game developers about what they are offering PC gamers on forthcoming games (other than the obligatory 'mouse & keyboard support').

DICE did a pretty good job of promoting the improvements in the PC version of Bad Company 2, for example.

3. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

Wait, they still use DX9??? BAHAHAHAHAHA

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

He speaketh the truth for I am still rocking mine

5. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

There's nothing wrong with DX9, in its day it was excellent. However DX9 now tends to mean lazy 360 port . Heck even quite a few so-called DX11 games are just using a few features tagged on to DX9 engines, simply to tick the box.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2010
  6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

it was a great article - I wish there were more - it show honestly whther you should upgrade a card for a game

and man this game looks excellent in 3d

7. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I wonder how reliable these numbers are given how bugged the game is. I benchmarked Black Ops with Fraps and the benchmark numbers said it never went under 42fps. In reality the game was unplayable and constantly froze, sometimes for 2-4 seconds at a time. You guys should benchmark again after they get the game fixed.

8. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

glad to see my 5850 doing so well in this game-plays it sweet as a nut!!!

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Your argument is very flawed. There's no hint that a card that plays blops the "best" will play other games worse. usually ATI or nvidia hardware run slightly better on one engine or another due to drivers, but besides that getting a card that is "best" for one game will transfer over any other card you play. It's not like you can find the card that will perform the best for all games you'll play present and future.

When I look at reviews for graphics cards I actually will look at individual titles to see which ones get higher FPS on titles I play and which engines, but usually the difference is so small that it won't matter either way. I mostly look for what fits in the budget and isn't going to be limited by other sections of my hardware.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Thanks, I was just curious as, well as you know such bits can make a pretty decent difference in how a game plays. :)

11. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

LOL you've done a Godwins :clap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I don't think so. To achieve a Godwin you have to compare someone else to Hitler, not merely a reference to Nazi Germany.

Or did I just Godwin the thread? :worried:

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Godwin's Law only states that as a discusion on the internet gets longer, the probability of somebody mentioning the nazis approaches one. So, Godwin's Law does not describe the mentioning of nazis/hitler, or what happens afterwards, only the probability of the event.

If you want to put a stamp on what Guinevere did, it would probably be Reductio ad Hitlerum.

Can we get back to graphics cards and discussing how bad/good this article was?
    I'll pitch in a question to get us back on track.

Clearly, this article is one for the masses. GPU article, written for simplicity, aimed at the most mainstream game out there. Aside from wether the article is flawed or not, i'd really like to ask if that is the new road Bit Tech is taking. I mean, you guys used to be ahead of the curve, investigating new tech. The question wether consoleports require big graphics cards or not would not warrant valuable benchmarking time and a frontpage article, at most it would be a sidenote in a new GPU release article or build guide.

The anger that Guinevere refers to is coming from the people that are eagerly clicking a new article in hopes of finding new insights, interesting benchmarks or surprising new technology. Instead, we find this article, and are underwhelmed.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It's funny how the ati fanboys get offended if Nvidia comes out on top in a review and vice-versa. Be nice to see some dx11 tesselated games made for pc rather than these old looking console ports.

15. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Funny how this type of article was not written when Bad Company 2 PC was released (a game that actually uses DX11) and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it sell better on the PC than Mw2 or Blops?

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Given that BLOPS has widley been reported to be CPU limited (or at least rey too much on the CPU due to poor optimization) this article would have been much better if it looked at CPU performance instead of GPU performance.

I know for example that alot of the M11x guys over at NBR had no trouble playing COD: MW2 or WAW yet BLOPS would barely run.

17. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@knuck "I'm so freaking tired of reading this stupid non sense urban legend..."

What's 'urban legend' about it?

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i expect reason is BFBC2 is included in all benchmarks because it is a significant landmark whereas Blops is only a poor port, so Bit-tech is only going to touch on it in this single article.

19. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Looks like the 580gtx was frame rate limiting at lower res's,(110 and 78 ish) i wonder if it was throttling.

20. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

we all know that ATI and Nvidia endorse game development and may pay studios to develop demanding graphics - maybe.
    But also some game studios - like Dice - do care about great looking games and take the xtra step to build code for the pc that's not ported from consoles.
    It's all about how much effort the developers are willing to put it to make their games attractive to the pc gamers, who are unfortunately the smaller market share compared to console players.

Tags: Add Tags