1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Fallout 3 or Fallout NV?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AndyGoldie, 4 Dec 2010.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Which to buy first! Just because I want them now :)
    Need a new game to play / kill time with and from what I know Fallout takes forevvvvveerrr. So the question is, what do I buy first?

Bit-Techers, you decide!

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

New Vegas is quite amazing. Fallout 3 had its fond moments, but the biggest reason i like it is the large Brotherhood presence.

At the end of the day, if you're a fan of the Fallout universe and want to see more of it, just get both. Doesn't matter which order you play them in. If you only care about gameplay, then i don't know why you'd play a modern Fallout game but go for Vegas.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

If you get fallout 3 make sure you get the goty edition that way you will get the DLC's with it.

I would get them all.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

liked them both too.. brotherhood was a big part of the first one- and the hidden caches were pretty cool.. you even get to launch a nuke on china and some shenanigans in a print shop if you explore around a bit

new vegas doesn't have the option to nuke a town like megaton either but there's plenty to do

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

There is HELIOS however. It incorporates a similiar moral choice, however i haven't tried to see how it works in practice yet. It's on the to-do list for my next playthrough.

6. Teelzebub

Yeah I did that one I made a save first and tested the weapon and wiped out everyone within a large radius around the tower just to see it work lol.

Then I restarted back from the save and took one of the other options.

7. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Fallout 3 all the way.

They are both quite different in terms of story. Vegas is very open ended while 3 is very story driven and cohesive, both have similarities but the core of 3 is solid. 3 would be my suggestion to begin with and as stated, GOTY is the only way as the DLC is fantastic.

Vegas is awesome, but the open end of the story and character development makes it slightly directionless and sometimes lacks purpose, I feel somewhat indifferent towards the factions often as a result, I dont feel really allied to anyone and the whole business of the conflict and my place init seems a bit thin. that said and bugs aside it is still an OUTSTANDING game...but begin with 3!

8. AndyGoldie

Fallout 3 it is! :) Ill get NV after I get bored with 3.

So, is it buggy? From what I've seen its obviously now a 3 year old Engine so im presuming there may be a few bugs / glitches on the PC. If there is, could anyone warn me so I don't feel the urge to rage at buying it / i know to save enough?

9. Teelzebub

TBH at first there was a few bugs but the last time I played it I cant remember any at all.

With the DLC's its a massive game.

Great game enjoy.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

NV unlike FO:3 is based on reputation towards people. Karma seems to mean nothing this game. I liked the merc/law bringers that chased you in FO:3. I also felt that the DC ruins where better and the wastes more free for random wander than the desert in NV. At the start your pretty much forced south in a big u-shape where as in FO:3 just had that more random stumbling across tiny pockets of people feel. I did like hardcore and the factions in NV tho. Legion and NCR (big players that are explained at the start) are pretty cool plus theres a few others. Apart from the brotherhood and enclave there where no real factions in FO:3

I would say +1 for FO:3 game of the year edition. Add ons complete what was missing from the origional and I preferred levelling in FO:3 (some skills are removed in NV and you only get perks every 2 levels). NV felt what Oblivion was like to Morrowind. Very nice with some points tuned but just missing what I like most about the previous game.

Ironically my mate hates FO:3 and loves NV. What I liked about 3 he hated xD guess its down to the individual. Both games where buggy. I had trouble getting FO:3 to work (not helped by my GPU dying aswell shortly after). NV worked but some textures don't load properly and VATS doesnt work if the enemy is within 3m of me. Both games have problems tho FO:3 should have solutions to nearly all I would reckon

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'd like to add aswell that New Vegas get's hilarious when you have power armour... and a the Avenger AND the Fatman AND the SuperSledge AND the Anti-Mat rifle AND the Gauss Rifle AND a Flamer AND a pulse gun... and they're all upgraded... and you've decided enough is enough and everything must go... Walk from one side of the map to the other and if anything gets in your way... it dies.

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Funny for almost all the reasons you stated above i prefer NV guess it really does come down to personal preference.

Though i still say begin with 3 only because i now find it difficult to go back and play 3 now i have NV

13. javaman

Don't forget the stealth suit too! Im about to start my third play through on hard and Im gonna make up Dr Who xD gonna be fun being a total pacifist. Wonder if theres a mod for the sonic screw driver that can stun robots, unlock doors, hack computers, destroy weapons in VATS. Would be amazing!

14. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Fallout GOTY.

Its storyline is more true to the original early games.

15. AndyGoldie

thanks for all the replies guys :) i bought FO:3 last night and its at 98% just now so I should have it within the next 30 minutes. Looking forward to getting into it. Ill probably get NV when I feel contempt with FO:3.

Also yes I of course bought GOTY edition :)

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Heresy... no... you must be visible at all times... you must be bright coloured and have nothing but fire and glory behind you!

DEATH TO EVERYTHING! I might go on a flamethrowing spree later... I stood in Nipton and mini-nuked the legion dude who comes out the town hall almost automatically >.<

17. AndyGoldie

Ironically I can't even get passed the make your own char stage.
    Keeps freezing at random points. Faaaaaantastic. Looking for fixes just now

18. javaman

Heavy is usually my 4th play through xD

1. sniper
    2. ninja
    3. Wise talker
    4. Heavy
    5. Cowboy (some nice perks for it lol)

19. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

if your playing fallout 3 (goty) then i would reccomend the following mods as a must before playing

1st Fallout mod manager - Click Here

then sign up to fallout3nexus and grab the following unofficial patches in my pic, after that its up to you.

[​IMG]

Two i highly reccomend are:

Fellout

Darnified UI

at the time of writing this there are 10,846 mods lol so theres plenty to choose from but i strongly reccomend you wait until youve finished your first playthrough before adding mods that change gameplay.

Anyway have fun and dont be afraid to just go explore, you'll be suprised at what you can find :thumb:

20. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Yeah I'd recommend FO3 over NV simply because of better mod support at the moment. There are some truly amazing ones to try out, but as people have said, do one playthrough first on vanilla to get a feel :)

(Some of my favourite mods are marts mutant mod, Real Time Settler, UPP, FOOK and WMK - all of them are on fallout3 nexus)