1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Setting up a home ftp server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cerberus90, 7 Dec 2010.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I want to setup an ftp server on my home pc, so I can access files at uni.

I've tried looking on the net, but none of the guides seem to be complete or be of any use.

I've tried filleZilla before, but I couldn't access it across the internet.

I then found a guide today, which talked about setting up dynamicDNS, so I've created a dynamics dns. But I'm not sure where to go from there. The guide I was following was using a different ftp server, which it said was free, but it isn't, :D.

So, can anyone help me?? :thumb:

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

You will need, 1. Static IP (there are work arounds for this if needs be) 2. FTP Software. I find Bulletproof FTP to be good, but you do have to pay for it. 3. Port forwarding port 21 or whichever port you decide to utilise to a dedicated internal IP which your server is set to.

Job done.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I know what I "theoretically" need. Its just the setting up stuff.

A dynamicDNS will have the same effect as a staticIP won't it?

I'll give BulletproofFTP a try and see how it does.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep bulletproof ftp is nice and user friendly.. can't get any easier than that.. used to run it a few years back for my custom internet file server with front end database.. could retrieve files through the site or from the ftp- they both worked from college

actually now that think about it try this too..

http://www.badblue.com/

it's a user friendly file server, standalone

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Buy your self a pogoplug for £49.99 in pc world or currys. By all accounts they are very easy to set up and you don't have to worry about port forwarding.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

lol :duh: :D, I'm not spending £49.99 on something. I do have a USB stick which I could use.

I just want to get my uni work at home on an ftp for the times when I forget to copy things over.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Why not use DropBox?

The thing about FTP, is its not secure password wise, and to get access to the files you need, you'd have to point FTP towards your my documents folder, or whatever, which could have a lot more than just some uni files.

With DropBox you just sync the folders or files you know you may need and then go to the DropBox website and you can download em. No need for a client.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've got a separate folder for my uni work, so that's all that will be accessible through it.

Thing with DropBox is, I assume you have to sync the stuff each time you do something, which if I forget to do, will mean I won't have access to the latest version.

As I said, I do have a memory stick which I use, but sometimes I'll forget to copy something, or find that I could do with something from a previous year and won't have it. So this is just a sort of backup option incase I need something.

I might have a go at setting up a home server at some point too, to utilise one of the PCs I've got lying around, which could then be used for this.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

why not use windows live skydrive

its free comes with 25gb of space

thehippoz likes this.
  10. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

You can set up a password for ftp :confused:

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Runs as a tray app and automatically syncs any new/updated items in the watched folders :thumb:

The downside with running a second PC means you need to either leave both on, or sync your files between the two first. The upside is that your second PC could be a linux server running SFTP to encrypt your password and files!

Yes you can but its sent in clear text, meaning anyone with a password sniffer could retrieve it! And then open up your files! And if there may happen to be an exploit in the software you're using ... :eeek:

Going back to the OP, if you wanna go the FTP route, I'd recommend you set up SFTP for Windows. I googled for a guide and here's the first one: http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/article/1487/setting-up-a-sftp-server-on-windows

Failing that, I've used Filezilla FTP server before and its small, stable, and unobtrusive. All you'll need to do is port forward it and make sure you connect in ACTIVE mode.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2010
  12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Ah, right I'll probably give DropBox a go then, see how I like it.

13. johnzardun

johnzardun Banned

You probably also want to be careful about your ISP -- they sometimes limit (or at least watch) the amount of bandwidth you're taking up. Many like Comcast for example, have a limit that you may be able to surpass once then they shut you down.

14. mostwanted

mostwanted What's a Dremel?

Try HFS. Google it.

15. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

I was trying something similar and ran into problems. I ended up finding a very simple ftp program called GoldenFTP. You simply add a folder to share through its very simplistic menu. As far as portfowarding and what not I just DMZ that pc in my routers settings. Has worked flawlessly and also running my COD4 files for my modded server through it.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

:-s dmz means no firewall protection at all, from router, opens your pc up to all sorts

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that looks pretty good -=]

18. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

so does that bypass my firewall from eset? did not know that. have been running it that way for about 8 months now with no problems, the pc is just there for a game server and any files I need when not at home but I guess I should configure it the proper way to be safe.
    thanks

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no it doesn't bypass the software firewall, but it,s an extra layer of protection thats gone