1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Dec 2010.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Which model? AFAIK Logitech hasn't ever made a mechanical board, and FWIR the reason they started making keyboards was that at the time most keyboards were mechanical and expensive to produce.. They were one of the first to sell membrane keyboards. They could afford to sell them much cheaper than the competing mechanical boards on the market and still make bigger profits.

2. kempez

kempez modding again!

No I get it, I just don't see why you need this cr@p when gaming in general? Those who care more about their FPS don't really care about gaming. I'm not adverse to people having their own preferences, just averse to those saying that a reviewer is wrong for not wanting all the extra rubbish that loads of over-priced keyboards ave.

No actually, that would be pretty cool :)

Aye, like I said earlier :)

3. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

"The keys aren't particularly responsive"

How bad is this issue? Is it one of those things where you notice it for a bit and then stop noticing it, or is it evident every time you go to use it?

4. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

G15v1. I will use this until the day I die, or BOTH of them (current and backup) die.

It's such a shame Logitech took a step back with the v2 :(

5. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

What a strange statement!

I find it interesting to have my Frames Per Second on screen so I can optimise graphics settings and make sure a game is still playable with as maxed out settings as possible.

If you care about gaming you will want to find the right balance between eye candy and playability. Having the FPS on screen gives you an easy indication of how well your PC can run your games.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Switched to a computer with US layout (slim enter key) about two years ago and it took me all of two weeks to get used to it. Now I have no problem switching back and forth between the different types, but I do prefer keyboards with a small enter key.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Cheers Picarro.

8. zelachang

zelachang What's a Dremel?

It seems strange to me that this is the "Best Gaming Keyboard". I would imagine that the best would be a mechanical keyboard like steelseries 7g or a FILCO or something, I haven't used mechanical switches but I hear they're much better than membrane.

Still happy that this article was published though as I am currently using an Eclipse (been using them since they came out) and bought 2 of them a year ago when I thought that Saitek had gone out of business or something. Now I don't need to worry about ever running out of these if I choose not to go for the mechanical keyboard.

/Never really understood the point of on-keyboard LCD and never used macro keys (though I guess they could be useful). To each their own.

9. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

So many people saying they won't buy it because the lights are blue... MOD IT people!

10. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Wow, highly patronising, yes of course I realise that you're CPC/bit-tech it's hard to miss with the large bit-tech one page adverts in the mag.

How can a review on 'what is the best gaming keyboard?' only feature one keyboard and only make reference to one competitor product. That ISN'T a review, I can accept that the staff have favorites, but like a said it's not a review of gaming keyboards.

11. Chief

Chief Not named after Master Chief

Quite frankly I'd love if they put the Eclipse II up for sale again because i love that keyboard, mine is getting too old and damaged.

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The review seems fine, but the title is all wrong. You can't have a review called "What is the best gaming keyboard?" then only review one keyboard. Call it the "Cyborg keyboard review" or something like that, since you're only reviewing that. To call it the "best" implies that you will compare it to similar products and determine the best of the group. You've reviewed a group of one product, and found that that one product is the best product in the group. Of course that's the result. Do some head to head comparisons. I'm surprised, because I expect this kind of a move from other sites, never from bit-tech. I don't expect a full gaming keyboard round-up comparison every time you get a new keyboard review sample, but don't call it the "best gaming keyboard" unless you directly compare it to some other popular gaming keyboards in the article.

And back light? Come on, guys. Last time I needed to look at my keyboard was when I typed in my Windows 7 activation key. No halfway decent gamer I know needs to look at his keyboard while gaming.

13. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If it is expensive and made from a company that markets to gamers it is a gaming component apparently... I still think that things like keyboards can never be categorized into gaming and non gaming use unless that classification is if they are wired or not. The most important feature for a keyboard is the way it feels to the user pressing the keys. That being a preference argument it comes down to the sort of feedback the individual likes when pressing keys. In my case I like heavy and loud keys but others do not.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

By that logic there can't be any keyboard reviews. Some people prefer overlays so they don't have to look away. I prefer a second full size screen to fit more one. Some people prefer keyboard LCD screens to reduce clutter. None of them are objectively better. You could never give a review on a matter of taste.

Bit has reviewed the product showing that it is a good quality keyboard which works well for gaming. It doesn't fall apart, it has good buttons, the backlighting was useful for them, and its comfortable. It's an objectively great keyboard. They even gave it a lower score on features showing that it doesn't have all of the features which competitors offer in case the reader might want them.

The first rule of ANY review applies here: Use your brain.

If you like keyboard LCD screens then feel free to make your own decision based on the text in the article, not just the number at the end. They've described features of the keyboard and why it works for them, take that information and combine it with your own needs and tastes.
    I really don't get how you authors and editors manage to do the work you do. I'd like to help out by explaining:

Both this and the best gaming headsets are additions, or perhaps revisions, to older articles. Bit already has done group tests of keyboards and headsets in the past. But, surprise surprise, new products come out. These items are reviewed and when a new "best gaming <peripheral>" is found they update the old review of old products to show their findings.

It's really not difficult.

And for complaints about the review, again, use your brain. If you don't need backlighting then ignore that part. Some people do, and you know what? If you reviewed this keyboard and complained about the backlighting not being needed they would likely be just as upset as you are.

15. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

Im thinking of upgrading from a generic keyboard

Is this identical to the saitek eclipse I, or does it have some benefits. I could get an eclipse cheap but should i spend more and get this.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice keyboard.
    I might buy one if my Eclipse II ever breaks.

17. kempez

kempez modding again!

Looks pretty much identical to the Eclipse I to me!

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Can you perhaps start including previous review scores from related products? The G15 is still on sale and is cheaper than either of the two Logitech 'boards reviewed here. There's no point doing an article to find "the best gaming keyboard" if you don't include models you've reviewed before on the grounds you'd be repeating yourself. Just a short paragraph in the conclusion mentioning past favourites, then include their scores in the list with a mention of where that review can be found (Issue & page/URL).

Basically I read through this article in the mag then had to trawl the internet for old bit-tech reviews of the G15 and a few others that are still on sale to see how they compared. I ended up going with the G15, which seems to be a better deal than anything reviewed here.

19. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

So exactly where is the update? From the title I thought there would be a round up of several products, like in CPC recently. But there isn't, as I've said it's a review of one product. If it mentioned some of the keyboards from the last labs test then fine. I think this should be a stand alone review with a different title. I have no problem with the review itself, it's comprehensive and does the writer justice.

I just think the title is misleading, usually with a title like that, there is some form of testing with multiple products. How about 'What is the best gaming keyboard : updated'? Then the writer can bang on about the fact it's better than all the rest, not just boldly state it with no comparison to other keyboards.

20. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I agree with St3v30 that the steelseries is a wonderful keyboard, however it is expensive.

personally I use the steelseries at home for gaming and a ms ergo at work... both lovely, both better at different things. (I dont like the ergo for gaming personally)

however some people cant afford to put 1/4 of the price of a computer into a keyboard and this is their view of the best keyboard for the cash...

recommending a das or steelseries would be like saying everyone should have a 580 or go home...

on the lcd argument I clearly fall on the side of - you'd be better off with decent keys - but thats just me

Tags: Add Tags