1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows De-fragmenting your HDDs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hirezo, 1 Dec 2010.

1. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I have always used Auslogics Disk Defrag. Excellent piece of kit - run it on a monthly basis.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I use 0&0 defrag and have done for years.

3. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Ooops. Why not?

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Data can be accessed just as quickly from wherever it happens to be on an SSD, so defragmenting it is only going to shorten it's life with no speed benefit.

5. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Thank you, good sir.

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Technically there is a (very negligible v. sequential as the file blocks are spread out) speed benefit, but SSD performance in random access is good enough to not notice it. Don't defrag.

7. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

I use Raxco PerfectDisk and my HDDs are in top notch condition. I was wondering though, that it is recommended not to defrag SSDs, but Raxco (and Diskeeper which is what my bro uses) both have options for specifically defragging SSDs. Has anyone tried this and found the SSD to perform better?

8. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

+1 for MyDefrag with it being free and far more customisable than any other utility.

Defragmentation utilities now rely on Window's defrag API so most only vary in providing a different display. So paying for a commercial program is almost pointless (SpeedDisk in Norton Utilities 2001 was an exception but had to be updated for every Service Pack).

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

In my opinion DEFRAGGING AND CLEANING THE REG is always a good thing :)

10. j.col

j.col Minimodder

i use defraggler as well, pretty easy to use

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Except when the reg cleaner cleans the wrong thing and your programs no longer work

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i always advise my customers not to use registry cleaners, as they often remove things apparently not in use, then you wonder why some application isn't working.

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

I used to use Defraggler regularly, but being a frequent user of Ninite, I noticed another defragging program pop up in their list and decided to give it a go - Auslogics Disk Defrag.

I might be imagining it, but I think it might be a tad quicker than Defraggler. Also, I was able to put a tickbox against all my hard drives and it defragged them in sequence and shut my PC down afterwards, I don't recall being able to do more than one with Defraggler :thumb:

14. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Same here best one Ive used. However the only drive that I ever defrag is my 'junk' drive that i use for downloads. Never find a need to defrag my main drive because I always do a fresh install of windows every 2-3 months.

15. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Trying to backup a new Steam download without a defrag in between, killed my final XP installation, as it was too much new stuff on the hard drive at once - this is a 200Gig disc where I'd use it to save radio shows, so it was getting 1.2Gb per week - then 10-12Gigs of one game plus the backup, all at once, killed the install though the data's still there.

So when I know there's going to be more than 10Gig installed at once, normally a game - I'll always defrag before trying to do anything else, whilst they're happy to give Auslogics for free, I'll stick with that one.

16. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

OFF topic:
    Never had a problem with CCleaners reg cleaner (been using it for years), plus you can always wind back if you do get any problems.

On topic:
    I have used defraggler and the windows one. I marginally prefer the former.

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I don't think it makes much difference, I let windows do it once a week but my harddrives when checked never have any fragmentation.

It's like when installing graphic card drivers...do this, do that, turn around 3 times while it's installing, hop on 1 leg with ur finger on your nose....:rolleyes:

People just get peace of mind doing this stuff.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes... Its always good to MANUALLY LOOK AT WHAT IT FINDS before just deleting it!

19. Mizakoto

Mizakoto Problematica

yeh it's really easy, it's also quite helpful, i've noticed some changes in speed

20. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

if on 7, the built in actually is good enough in my opinion, it does it automatically and you don't have to even think about it anymore. for older versions ie xp / 2003 i liked jk defrag, but i think its called something else now. its freeware and seemed to be really effective, and didn't take an age to get it done either.