1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD, Intel drop D-Sub support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

crap we use VGA over Cat5 to HD TVs quite a lot. HDMI, DVI and display port over cat5 is a lot more expensive !!! DAMMIT.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I visit a lot of different companies with my work and often utilise their video equipment whilst I'm there. The one common connection that everyone has on all their machines is VGA.

Given how fast many companies update their machines, if I rocked up with a laptop that didn't have a VGA socket I'd be very worried. I agree it needs to be phased out, I'm just wary of this sort of situation arising.

4. Bridaggs

Bridaggs What's a Dremel?

Haven't used VGA for many years, and stopped using DVI a fair old while ago to. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner to be honest, at least on a home consumer level anyway.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

lol once again everyone is ignoring nvidia. its a shame they want to ditch dvi too, but that port is extremely bulky considering that displayport and hdmi can do the same thing but are much smaller, and hdmi has audio output.

luckily for those who might still want to use older displays in the future, theres still the adapter converters. i haven't seen any displayport to dvi or vga converters, but i'm sure they exist.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

And DVI differs from HDMI because...

Sigh. It would be nice if the people writing these press statements knew at least thing one about their subject.

7. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Because it generally retains the capability to transmit an analogue (VGA) signal, which they want to get rid of, as well as the digital one.

8. dworvos

dworvos What's a Dremel?

There's a DVI-D, DVI-A, and DVI-I spec, I'm assuming they want to phase out the DVI-I and DVI-A.

Unfortunately you'd need an active converter as a passive one won't work (the ones you find in video card boxes are passive, they require a DVI-I or DVI-A signal to be present from the video device).

There's a wealth of good info on the wikipedia page about DVI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Aside from the various specs of DVI aspect covered above, HDMI is superior because it can carry audio and takes up less space. In place of two DVI ports on the back of a video card there could instead be three, maybe even four HDMI ports.

Additionally, read the rest of the article. Part of their reasoning is that DisplayPort will be used for PCs. So DVI isn't actually being replaced by HDMI at all, it's being replaced by DisplayPort. HDMI is used for TVs which rarely have DVI in the first place, though some have VGA.

10. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Nothing that is 1.x is the future of nothing, a 2.0 will come and crush it.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

this.. with cat5 cable you can go pretty far over analogue

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just FYI, DVI can carry audio as well. Like with HDMI audio and video is interleaved.

And connector-wise DVI is vastly superior to both HDMI and DisplayPort. Why? Well, for one you can actually securely attach it with screws. Something neither HDMI nor DP can. Unsurprisingly just like SATA. I've seen my fair share of SATA and HDMI cables pop out of their slots. Good protocols, lousy connectors. There seems to be some sort of competition as to who can come up with the most lousy connector...

As for killing off the DSUB15 (VGA) connector, no problem. Just keep DVI-I around and all is fine.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Good to know. Never seen that used, likely because no TV (which HDMI is to be used for) I've seen has used DVI as an video+audio input from a PC. TVs already have a wealth of HMDI inputs available, making PCs be able to use those even in the mainstream market is an excellent move to reduce the number of connectors needed on both ends to ensure compatability with all of a user's potential needs.

We've also seemed to have the exact opposite of screw in connector experiences. :hehe: I've witnessed a couple incidents from clutzy friends at lan parties who trip on a screwed in cable and ended up taking down their monitor and one time even knocking over a case. Haven't screwed in any cables which may be exposed ever since. And of course if it's not exposed then it shouldn't fall out! But it would seem YMMV on that.

14. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

YAY This news is just as good as floppy, IDE and PS2 ports dropping from mobos!
    Kill off all the legacy!

15. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

+1... exactly what I was going to say.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Can't say I blame them, it's very outdated now. My TFT is 5 years old and has digital connections.

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I remember a short time ago reading that the industry giants were considering phasing out HDMI in favor of video and audio over ethernet. One of the benefits, aside from higher bandwidth, was the open nature of ethernet as opposed to the licensed HDMI standard. Are they now abandoning that idea?

This just in, Monster has revised its economic outlook to take into account all the $100 phoenix-tail-feather-dipped-in-unicorn-blood cables. It is, after all, the only cable that supports deep color 3D True-HD video on your cheap LCD monitor.

18. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

IDE still exists though? :(

19. necroscop

necroscop What's a Dremel?

Can HDMI support anything more then HD 1080 on all boxes it say max 1920x1080.
    PC monitor market its way ahead of TV market, are TV standards will support monitors like 2560x1600. And in next few years we will see PC monitors with much higher resolution, as demonstrate by Dell. Is this mean I will need 2 or more HDMI cables to run with high resolution or we will have to pay for very expensive HDMI cable which support high resolution.
    What we need its completely new chip standard which will work with everything. What they doing now it next money making scum. As we all will have to buy new HDMI cables even if there its nothing wrong with DVI

20. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I didnt think you could buy an IDE drive anymore. I thought everything was sata.
    Who would buy IDE over sata anywho?

Tags: Add Tags