1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 my quick review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 13 Oct 2010.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL, yea triple monitor is a bit too much :)

The correct colors is sRGB, or for a general purpose Adobe RGB (has a little more saturation).
    If you compare quality taken picture (with a good camera), to real life, it should look identical.
    sRGB does that for me, and even better with color profile, but just not to have the Windows icons bland, I put it to Adobe RGB when I don't draw.

Game profile pushes more brown and makes explosion look more vivid.
    Standard is store shelf settings... worse colors, just so that the monitor looks best on store shelf compared to the TN glossy panels.
    Multimedia: is like Game more or less, and has dynamic contrast turned off.
    Warm: It's warm, colors are pale, I don't know why that option is there.
    Cool: is softer to the eye, if you plan to work for extra long hours non-stop with code/text/excel sheet without breaks, this is a good mode. Everything is very bluish, and less vivid, and "strong" to be software to the eye.

Going to MAC mode (under Gamma) instead of PC, adjusts the gamma to fit MacOS special gamma so that you Apple displays looks better than any normal "PC" displays when attached to their system... unless you have the monitor that you have or the U3011H or the U2410.

Mode Selection option has 2 options, Graphics and Video.
    Graphics is the default
    Video mode will do like a LCD TV, and turn off the color processor. Watch a movie or TV with it and it will look like you watching it on a TV. Movie mode, makes everything bluish, Game mode is like the other game but without the color processor, and Nature is like the TV default settings. You will notice that on any of these mode, text is hard to read, and the colors are over saturated.

2. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Triple monitor gaming sounds nice and all but the bezel sucks.

Not to mention you need some tri-fire or 3-way SLI setup to have good settings.

Then you need "triple monitor certified" furniture lol. I have a two very large monitors and it alreay maxed out desk space. Hardwood furniture cost more than monitors. Then you have to fit it in the room. I game in my bedroom so space is limited XD

All this trouble and most games only support up to 16:9

3. GoodBytes

Correction: most games support 16:10

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

@ GoodBytes yeah I'm giong to try the different settings out and see what suits me best there's plenty of options so I'll take my time.
    As for the triple screen its not really possible because I'm using a KVM switch and any way if I was really going for it I would have bought 24" one's TBH.

@ Rofl_Waffle I actually have been considering getting another GTX480 for tri SLI, Space is not the issue for me I would just make a bigger desk I own the house and that room is just where I game and is more than big enough LOL although I do sleep there sometime's I have a kingsize bed in there.

I saw a mate's Nvidia 3D surround setup with 3 120hz 24" screens and I was really surprised how I didn't notice the bezels.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2010
  5. GoodBytes

Wait wait wait.. why do you have a KVM switch. Your monitor has input switch, heck even side by side picture-in-picture.

If you want to use you desktop mouse and keyboard, then I have the perfect software for you. I use it for a over a year now, and it's awesome. It works everywhere under Windows, including log-in screen and UAC dialog boxes. In addition it's packed with options, and free!
    Input Director: http://www.inputdirector.com/
    You can even copy and paste text between systems. You won't be disappointed.
    Ask me if you have any problems setting it up. Check the website for step by step instructions.. it's not hard to do, just it might seams strange and complicated at first without it. Once you do it, you know it by heart and can do it every time without trouble as it's easy.

Works on XP, Vista, Windows 7 32 and 64-bit without any trouble.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Unless what your viewing is tagged with Adobe RGB1998, and you are using a colour managed application you should be using sRGB mode. The reason Adobe RGB saturates is because it's incorrect. The VAST majority of images you will find on the web etc are sRGB and will look correct using the sRGB mode.

Only use adobe RGB mode when using Photoshop to edit images, and ONLY if your default colourspace is Adobe RGB1998. If you use Adobe RGB mode for general use you are expanding the sRGB gamut into the wider Adobe RGB gamut with no colour profile to accurately re-map colours. The result is over-saturation.

+rep to goodbytes for input director!!

Last edited: 31 Oct 2010
  7. GoodBytes

Ok. will do. Thanks.

8. Rofl_Waffle

Every game made in the last 2 years would definitely have 16:9 support. Every console port would have 16:9 also, which is already most games. Theres only a few obscure old games here and there that doesn't have 16:9.

9. GoodBytes

Sorry I meant, all games supports 16:10 (ok not DOS and Win95/98 games... but you know what I mean). 16:9 is also supported

Games only has POTENTIAL compatibility issues if you have the Intel GPU.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, can you measure the viewing are on that 27" Dell? I mean display are, without bezel.
    I just want to compare with my Dell 24".
    I would like to buy bigger screen, but don't know which one. For around £500 you can get Hazro new 27", Dell has right now a discount for 27" which costs £630 incl delivery. Then Hazro has 30" for £800. I'm not sure which one to pick....

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The screen not including the bezel is 59cm long x 33cm High

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

I bought the u2711 from dell for £570 last week (not including the £48 cashback on quidco that has tracked)

I'd measure it for you but i cant find the tape measure! doesnt the dell website have the screen dimensions? (or you could just work it out with the wonders of mathematics!:lol:)

13. GoodBytes

Dell U2711 Dimensions (W x D x H):
    646.71mm x 199.95mm x 427.83mm(25.46”x7.87”x16.84”)

The panel itself is 27inch

The Harzo features a LED back light instead a high-grade CFL lamp, and is glossy.
    And if it's like the 30inch model, it has no OSD menu. The only thing you can adjust is the lamp brightness. The stand looks primitive construct (like something I would do, and not a system to compensate the weight of the monitor for easy adjustment), and teh repsonse and input lag time isn't that good.

I think the Dell is worth the extra monitor, not to mention you can plug any device you want to it, which is a bonus.

14. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Interesting, still a current offer?

How are you getting on with it? :)

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

ah, sorry to get your hopes up, there was an extra 10% off code(as well as the quidco 10%) but that seems to have expired on the 10th... you can still get 10% with quidco tho...

Im getting on ok with it so far... although it almost burnt my retinas out at default brightness when i first turned it on

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

currently at 5% birghtness. very comfortable viewing.

checked with power meter, it's consuming 45w at 5% brightness. not bad for 27inch.

17. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Got a U2711 from Dell a couple of weeks ago, ?556 (delivered) with discount code and Quidco (also sold one of my NEC 24WMGX3's for ?255, so upgraded for ?301), using a custom colour profile and custom settings from TFTCentral review... All in all very pleased with it...
    ________
    Damisela live

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  18. Rofl_Waffle

The ICC profiles on TFTcentral is no good. I was curious about how transferrable ICC profiels are, was going to ask but tested it myself instead.

After loading their ICC profile for the U2711 and adjusting the monitor to the 120cd/m2 brightness they used (21% brightness 50% contrast). I got an average deltaE of 1.7 which is much higher than 0.6 deltaE they got in their review. The color temperature was way off as well. Not much better than the default calibrations.

19. GoodBytes

i tried the ICC profile for my U2410 from TFT Central and it makes everything bluish.. doesn't work. The best I encounter is the one provided by Dell on Windows Update, or on the disk that came with the monitor.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I agree with you about the inputs, there could be less but more is always better. Plus I'd rather have too many and not use them all than need them and not have them. As for the touch buttons, they aren't great but how often are you really switching profiles?

BTW I do no photo editing and I like the "cool" setting the most. I can use the monitor all day without having too much eye strain and if I do then I know I spent too much time on the computer and I need to go outside anyways.