1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Beginner's Guide to Machining Plastics

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Captain Slug, 17 May 2005.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

This information relates to those using a CNC.

Machine: 10,000rpm

Single Pass: 3mm

Tool: Straight cutter, 30 degree rake

Speed: 4000mm/min

Direction of Cut: Climb

All these factors combined = incredible finish on acrylic cuts.

3. FDAD

FDAD What's a Dremel?

Excellent guide and description of the various types of plastics!

4. Genghis

Genghis What's a Dremel?

great guide... thank you a lot for this informations

it is possible to do chamfer hand made on plexiglas.
    i saw a video where a man chamfer edges with a plate tool with triangular edge cut

this is the tool
    [​IMG]

the question is : in a hole, how can i do my chamfers?

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You might want to call the speed as feed instead. Usually speed relates to tool diameter and spindle rpm. So for your case someone could argue that for that speed and that rpm, you are using 0.8mm diameter end mill. Actually, what tool are you using?

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Thanks for the guide - have some rep

7. NewToPc

NewToPc What's a Dremel?

nice info bro! thank you for sharing! :)

8. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

Yer thx ,)

9. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

What about the 'unibit' drill bits? are they any good for plastics?

10. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Just a quick question what tool do I use to make threads for my screws, what would you say is that standard size I would need for a PC case

11. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Any ideas on embedding leds for edge lighting. Acrylic is fairly thin and am wondering how to drill a hole into the edge to hot glue in an led? Perhaps a miniature doweling jig? Also those drill bits pictured are they avaialable in metric any ideas where to get a set in australia?Great guides Thanks in advance. :dremel:
    edit: Another quick question if you have a bent piece of acrylic and you edge light it does the light travel around the bends like in optic fibre? I read somewhere it is fibrous and have been wondering about edge lighting around bends.

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  12. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

I have seen video of people welding the acrylic with acetone is this bond as strong as the one created by weld on cement?
    EDIT: I joined to scrap bits with the acetone the joint is self supporting after about 10 mins I will let it sit for 24 hours then I will torture it to see how strong it is and report back cheers.
    Edit 2 acetone= epic fail. Not at all a strong and on inspection of the acrylic it barely marks the acrylic. Can cross that off the list! Weld-on on order:)

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  13. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

When using weld on #3 how smooth should the edge be to get a strong bond i finished the parts with 180 grit sandpaper on a disc sander they are pretty smooth but a few very shallow grit marks in the edge. Its a reservoir mount and will support about 1.5 kg is this finish ok?

14. Wissel

Wissel What's a Dremel?

Really good guide and exactly what I needed.

I downloaded Alibre Xpress as recommended in the OP and its great but wondered if there's better software (free or v.cheap) that people would recommend?

15. Bitwacker

Bitwacker C# forever

A great guide. The posting seems a little old, does this still reflect the current practices? Who are the current players in the marketplace?

16. Mully

Mully What's a Dremel?

Machining and joining polycarbonate rod

Hello,

I am not sure if I should tack my topic on to this thread, or start a new one. I would appreciate guidance. Honestly, I could not find the procedure for starting a new one.

I want to machine the ends of polycarbonate rods and adhere them to other polycarbonate rods in a T - joint. I hope to cut a "saddle" into the ends of 1/2" rods with a 5/8" bit and join them to un-manipulated 5/8" rods. I thought I'd use a solvent cement so i'm looking for a fairly smooth cut and final joint. However I will be painting (gloss finish) the end result so I suppose there is some room for error as long as I can "touch up" before painting.I hope to mount my handheld router on my router table and build a very substantial jig to feed the workpiece into the cutter. I gather from some prelim research that I'm dealing with a soft plastic and should use an "O" flute tool. Can anyone offer advice on the specific bit (steel/carbide, straight/spiral, single/double) (I even read about using two bits, one to start and one to finish), the adhesive, touch up options, and paint type.

The finished piece is basically a grid- shaped art project and will hang on a wall. There will be a few blocks of plastic here and there within the grid. The piece will need to support only its own weight.
    Any advice or direction appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

17. Zanib

Zanib What's a Dremel?

Just my 2 cents... when I machine plastics I use a single or twin flute bit at a higher feed rate with more shallow passes as it then conducts the heat away from the work piece in the chips giving you a crisp edge

18. PGTDESIGNS

PGTDESIGNS What's a Dremel?

Personal Experience:

Many people are initially scared of machining plastics/poly/acrylic/perspex or the variants inbetween. I am lucky to have access to multiple CNC routers of varying quality in my workshop and the only reason I mention this is that I have found you can machine anything plastic even on a cheaper machine

The biggest factor I have found personally is ridigity and the effect it has on wall finish and having to do multiple spring passes to get the finish near perfect. I ONLY depend on sound when dialing in my feeds and speeds. The sound from the cutter in any material tells you a lot about what is happening at the sharp end. One recipe might work for someone but that depends so much on the quality of your machine and it's capabilities as well as the stock you are processing. That is the beauty of machining for me. There are many ways to get things done. Some people cut fast, others slow, some deep others shallow BUT at the end of the day we all get the job done.

19. Gian

Gian What's a Dremel?

Thanks for info

Tags: