1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Question for the Runners (help)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tec_, 14 Dec 2010.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

let me explain my situation so my question will make sense.

ive been on a health kick for almost a year, watching what i eat, hitting the gym, and riding my bike when there isn't 22in of snow on the ground (that was just the last snow fall)

when im at the gym on the treadmill i am able to run a 5mph pace for 1/2 hour with no issue. but if im out side running on a path or down the streets i have a very hard time running the same speed for the same distance. using music with a beat dose seem to help but i still struggle.

so what helps you and what can you recommend.

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's far easier to run on a treadmill than outside as you're not propelling your weight on a treadmill (or something along those lines).

I used to be quite a good cross country runner but not anymore since I've gottten out of shape and I find I often can't be bothered with running when I try and get fit again probably because i expect myself to be at my former peak of fitness (when I was doing a good hour of fitness training and another two hours of football every week).

Just slow the pace down and you'll find you can run for three or four times the distance.

3. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Are you trying to get fit to run a specific distance like a 10k or are you trying to lose weight?

If you are just running for general fitness then it doesn't really matter that you can't run as much outside as long as you are getting tired and getting your heart rate up.

Personally I can't stand the treadmill as I get bored looking at a wall or myself in the mirror.

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Treadmill running is crap.

It doesn't strain your body in near the same way.

Running outside is much much better workout and if you take it slow it shouldn't really be a problem. Just remember to warm-up and take it slow the first couple of times until you learn the limits of your body.

As a side-note. It doesn't seem like you have been training properly on the treadmill? A 5 mph pace for ½ hour after a year of training? I would suggest that you follow some form of training program to increase this. It would benefit your cardio-vascular system if you strain it, which in turn makes you live longer.

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Treadmill running is dull compared to outdoor running, the surroundings are static and you don't get the cooling breeze as you move along. Plus you can just stop when you get tired on a treadmill, if you're outdoors and get tired you still have to get back home.

The challenge with outdoor running is that you have uneven terrain which can sap your energy levels quite quickly, especially when you throw in a few hills. Try looking at the website for Mens Fitness, they have lots of hints an tips for all kinds of sporting activities along with training programmes for all levels of ability and fitness and best of all its free.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Training at a gym, 20-30£ a month. Pair of Nike running shoes, 50£, some clothes to run in, another 50£. All in all, running is much cheaper than going to the gym ;) and running outside is much much healthier.

7. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

no i mainly ride my bicycle in races ive never run one. im juts trying to switch things up.

i haven't been on the treadmill for the entire time i was lifting with a coworker of mine for the majority of it but i got laid off at the end of last month and i started running because our schedules no longer line up

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

thing is with a treadmill all you are doing is putting your foot in front of you then it pulls your leg back while when you are running you have to put your foot in front of you and you have to push off so running in real life is much better than a treadmill you do nearly twice as much work

go down to your local sweat shop and ask for some good pair of running shoes (don't get spikes) then just wear a good pair of socks track suit bottoms and a t-shirt (for winter you need to get a long armed thermo vest http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/...Men-s-ColdGear-Longsleeve-Crew-II/1216481-001) and that is all you need till the trainers and top get warn out

as for running routes i recommend that you download google earth and plot out a 4-5km coarse that passes your house and just start running it 1-2 a week after a few runs you will feel better and don't forget to record your times so you can see how much improve over the months

9. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

ive got the shoes a nice pare of asics but running out side is out of the option there is 27+ inches of snow on the ground and temp today was 8 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -12 degrees.

what i am trying to get help with is how to keep a pace when i am not running on the treadmill during the summer i will run a 3 mile rout 5 times in a week and will get times that differ by 5-15 min every time. some days im fast and others im incredibly slow. what im asking for is ways to help become more consistent when im not on a treadmill

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

If you want to be more consistent you have to run longer distances. Try running 5-6 miles at a slower pace.

I usually average 20 mins for 5 km..

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Have any of you guys read Born to Run?

Its a very inspiring read and puts forward the arguments for not running with expensive running shoes (i.e. barefoot running) Most of the injury's encountered by today's runners did not exist before Nike invented the modern running shoe in the 70's and there is research that shows a direct correlation between the higher the cost of the running shoe the more likely you are to be injured. We spent millions of years evolving to run barefoot and the more padding and support you put around your foot the less able it is perform properly which results in injury.

I would implore you to read the book as even if you don't believe the science it's a cracking story and a real page turner.

12. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Barefoot running is good for you, but there are not a lot of people who live next to miles of beautifully clean parks/pavements/beaches.

I do live next to the beach though, I should try it :)

13. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

My dad runs in local marathons and does cycling quite a bit. He told me to push yourself all the time, make your workout hurt. I can also verify this from one of his running magazines. I couldn't find the exact article, but this one hits all of the same topics and tips. how to push yourself

14. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

thats one of the reasons the vibram five fingers have been so popular, I know at least 5 people who own a pair just for running and walking. They are supposed to have a "barefoot" feel but still protect you from rocks, glass, etc.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefooting/barefoot_running.cfm

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

barefoot running does not have to be barefoot oddly enough it just has to use a shoe that doesn't artificially constrict your foot from moving naturally.. The above mentioned vibram five fingers is a great, if expensive, example. The Onitsuka Tiger classic running shoes are good examples as they completely flat and very thin soles.

I would suggest you read the book. :)