1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wikileaks' latest leak

Discussion in 'Serious' started by tristanperry, 28 Nov 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Naah, he just be trollin'.

thehippoz is right to keep certain contexts in mind: people are fallible human beings, and hence subject to errors in judgement. Assange is not the messiah. But that does not necessarily make him a naughty, naughty boy (you have to see Life of Brian to get that one, thehippoz). He doesn't strike me as a con artist --and I know a bit about their psychology.

He does strike me as at risk of getting carried away by narcissistic tendencies. He's got a lot of power and influence and an iconic status, but he's got a lot to learn about how to handle it wisely. At worst, he is a bit like John Lennon saying that the Beatles are bigger than Jesus and believing that his proselytising is going to change the world. But the world needs idealists. Even slightly mad ones. Especially the slightly mad ones.

It is good that you try to keep a balanced view of him as a person, but you are listing over to the other side because of your own prejudices. Your dislike of Assange reveals more of yourself than of him.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2010
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah well ever since that last leak with the names and stuff.. I've had that view- and watching him in interviews.. it annoys me when people put a man up as something bigger than what he really is

sometimes sitting back and judging a guy on his actions isn't the best thing to be doing.. but this guy has potential blood on his hands and it looks like for all the wrong reasons.. it hurts people who like to idolize when you lay out the facts

like a lot of republicans who listen to these guys on the radio, course a republican can do no wrong..

3. Nexxo

The leak with the names was the previous leaks. Since then he has altered his approach to let the professional journalists do the editing and redacting. At least he learns from his mistakes and tries to do better. Can't say the same of our politicos.

You should always judge a man by his actions. Words are ********. Intentions are ********. Our governments should have taught you that by now. In that regard, show me the blood on Assange's hands. Those who have most to gain by doing so haven't been able to. Don't regurgitate the "lives are put at risk" line --show me the facts that you lay claim to.

Seriously: you think he is a con man? You think he is irresponsible and dangerous? Show me the evidence.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I know it's a bit of a callous thing to say but no matter how many lives are lost due to Assange, the number will pale in comparison to the lives lost regardless in Iraq, Afghanistan and the other places where US foreign policy and meddling causes sh*t to hit the fan (Bombay, 11/26; Pakistan-funded terrorists, and we all know where Pakistan gets its money from).

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

was out xmas shopping =] facking 250 bucks down and still need some things at the dollar store.. least miss the weekend rush

but anyways just calling it like I see it.. you might think names and locations of informants don't mean jack.. I think they do

I've pretty much explained why I feel this way in previous posts.. doesn't help his top guys bailed on him either- openleaks seem to be the way things will go in the future.. I'm sure after basking in the spotlight he'll retire off all the money he's collected

he's slick I'll give him that.. knows how to make money off tricks and big oil, big banks.. when he threatened hidden info over bp and bank of america, I knew what he was all about right there

after reading this it sounds like I'm attacking nexxo.. that's not what I was after- I just feel this guy has another plan and others see it too

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  6. Nexxo

So all we've got is your gut feeling on the matter? Do you mind if I suspend judgement on that for a while?

OpenLeaks is the inevitable result of a clash of strong ego's. It has also been welcomed by Wikileaks, their reasoning being: the more, the merrier.

One thing you are right about: organisations like this are the future. OpenLeaks will just be one of many spin-offs. Eventually these organisations will become more professional, more legally savvy and displace the established commercially and politically biased dinosaurs of the news media. The future is Pulse on your iPad specifically for leak sites. News may mean something again.

In a world of Fox News and 15% of children hitting secondary school with a reading ability of a 7-year-old, leak sites are the antidote to idiocracy.

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Nexxo if you get any more sarcastic I'm going to giggle at work.

But I agree with everything you say... for once ;)

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wish they'd hurry it up already.

So far they've released 1606 cables in 19 days, for an average rate of 85 a day. At this rate it will take 8 YEARS to get them all out.

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

To be fair, most of them are utterly pointless

"LOL DID YOU SEE WHAT OBAMA DID WITH THAT PEN?!one!" isn't that intresting.

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Depends what Obama did do with that pen :p

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

he wrote "Nob off and stop reading over my shoulder you senate goits"? >.<

Now shush with your innuendo or I'll set Nexxo on you, que scene of snarling Space Marine holding back a rabid Nexxo >.<

12. Nexxo

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the pure, mutually consenting love between a grown man and his pen... Er. :worried:

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

This saga might go 1 of 2 ways, not sure if you guys will agree with me.

It might open up military and political decisions-made to the wider audience and make politicians think twice about passing lucrative contracts to buddies or invading countries, or playing a country off against another one, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Or we (public) get completely shut down with new laws (anti-terror laws anyone? ... "but Mr Policeman I'm only taking a picture of Big-****ing-Ben!") and eventually aren't even allowed conversations like this on a forum.

That hippy commune is looking more and more attractive as the weeks roll-on!

side note: what I want to happen now is that the Swedes either produce a real case with real evidence against Julian for the sex allegations, or they drop it, I'm getting tired of hearing about the 'allegations'. And the US either produce a case against Julian as being a co-conspiritor with Bradley (without water-boarding the evidence out of Bradley obviously :nono: ... let's face it, that's more than likely ...) or the US swallows their pride and moves-on.

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Bad Nexxo... in the corner :miffed:

Honestly, I doubt it. They'll find craftier and more sly ways to hide things. If you want something to be hidden, you'll make it hidden no matter the cost.

That wouldn't happen either to be honest, people in the west would go mad at the concept. Look a the outrage at the Digital Economy Act. Look at the power a group like ANON has to cripple VISA, MASTERCARD and BARCLAYS, some of the biggest names in the world are crippled by a bunch of people at home... who decided to 'speak' out against such a thing.

lol, the US swallow it's pride? Never. The US is God remember! But I think they've hit the last generation of "The Flag Waving American". Now they've got the "I've got the Internet, why do I care about America" generation... prepare for hell if they tried to silence people on the net >.<

15. Nexxo

^^^ What he says. Their reaction thus far has clearly shown that governments cannot make the paradigm shift (just like they couldn't in the War on Terror). Hell, they didn't even see this one coming (like they didn't the War on Terror --hey, wait, I think I see a pattern here...), judging by Hillary Clinton's Loftily principled "The Internet Should Be Free" speech in January.

Governments will eventually catch on, of course. Expect a lot of propaganda in response, in the form of pseudo-news and pseudo-documentaries by apparently legit sources that turn out to have shady links to government. Expect to have to become more informed about sources of info. Expect more dubious disruptions of Internet services and censorship within government networks. Expect a lot of blackballing and dodgy accusations of leak sites. Expect government pressure on ISPs and Google (in an about-turn that will make China look like an amateur). Above all, expect whistleblowers' to be outcast and vilified.

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Who said Anon is the good guy? From what few discernable patterns there are in this flashmob-mentality, I can see only that Anonymous fights fiercely to defend the internet against censorship as a consistent theme. See, for example, attacks on the Australian Parliament after they discussed censoring the 'net over there.

To be honest, just about every other thing they have been attached to has been incidental to that goal. Attacks on Scientology? Not triggered by a dislike of a morally reprehensible cult but by attempts by the Scientologists to coerce YouTube into removing videos of Tom Cruise giving motivational speeches - censorship. Attacks on MasterCard, Visa, and PayPal? Not triggered by attacks on Assange but by the way these companies have refused to handle Wikileaks' business - economic censorship. They don't pick a good cause and support it; they align themselves with causes when it suits their general defence of the web's integrity.

I don't see that Anonymous has, does, or is likely to play by any set of rules or moral code. They aren't the 'good guys' any more than they are the 'bad guys' - they're just 'the guys'...

17. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

He has a name Nexxington the second... Even if I'm eventually going to give you a name that has twenty four different words at the end of it.

Anyway, I already agree mate. I've seen the "report suspicious activity to the police" stuff coming, worries me how far the UK is falling to the Right again. I amazingly have (for some odd reason) some confidence in the Conservative's in power to at least try and sort something out from this without tugging on the heart strings of the USA's ragebaby acts at the minute.

Good, ANON should stand up for that mate. They're the guys who react to the voice of the internet. That's probably the best way to describe them.

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

The more I think of it, the more convinced I become that the internet is in decline. I think we need a new internet. One designed to resist takeover by governments/corporations/whoever. P2P DNS, wireless mesh - the lot.

19. Nexxo

They've got one in Tibet. Decentralised, Wifi based, wind and solar powered, built with recycled hardware and maintained by volunteers.

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Sweet! Where do I sign up?