1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BFBC 2 - Vietnam First thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nikols, 19 Dec 2010.

1. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Feels weird at first, then after getting my head shot off in the first few rounds yesterday as I marvelled at my basic weapons and the new landscapes I gotta say it quickly grew on me and I love it. BFBC2 felt like carnage, this feels like war. It really lends itself to old skool iron sights and I went from being average on BFBC2 because of this to a quick draw on vietnam. Its best in 4 squad rush imo where the tight trails and forrested landcsape with little villages really encourage you to stay close then fan out and watch each others backs. The terrain is excellent, and adds to the tactical feeling as your always trying to take back the higher ground. Excellent!

Last edited: 19 Dec 2010
  2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am enjoying it at the moment - it seems a bit more 'real' (although I have no real experience to properly make that comparison!). I love the music in the tanks and I love the helicopters.
    The battle seems more up-close and personal and I seem to die a lot more - especially when spawning to my squad who are in the thick of a firefight.

I have noticed personally that it is less of a snipe fest than BFBC2 vanilla, although the Steam forums are full of people saying the opposite - I guess people will need to make their own mind up on this.

I much prefer games like this with 'old school' weaponry anyway, so perhaps it's more up my street than the original.

I hope they make new maps soon though as it deserves a few more.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

So is this a standalone game or do I need BFBC 2 to play?

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

You need the original. Be careful though - if you have the boxed DVD don't buy the upgrade from Steam - it won't work. When you buy it, all you get is a key which can be applied in-game to activate the Vietnam portion.

There is no Single Player for the Vietnam expansion - it is online only!

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i want motion sensor, smoke screen, tracer dart and AT4 back.

don't know what DICE was thinking, removing smoke and then make 3 out of 4 conquest maps to be a linear tug of war.

the only map i would play is the Phu Bai valley map, where there are enough vehicles to be called a Battlefield game and with open enough to do flanking. but that's hardly worth £9 i paid on Steam.

on a side note, join CPC server!
    find it by search CustomPC in your server browser.

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Vitnam :D (check title)

I'll be getting it, just because it's fairly cheap and I'm willing to spend something extra if it even moderately improves BFBC2.

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I'm impressed, seems alot easier than BC2 toi get kills, but maybe thats due to the rush maps being smaller. The AK-47 is a killing machine, sniping head shots from miles away and quality in close quarters!

My only major gripe is that the choppers are easier to fly than ever before, so much so, that it's not as much fun as you feel there is little to no skill involved. The jeep was shite to drive aswell.

How do you unlock the airstrike / artillery for recon? Didnt seem to be in the weapon list for me. I've got it in vanilla BC2.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Still waiting to download it from D2D.

9. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 What's a Dremel?

Airstrike is already available, scroll to b-nocks, last in the list of weapons, when your playing.

Im really enjoying it, i like rush the best.

10. October

October Mariachi Style

Am i right in thinking all the content for Vietnam got downloaded in the last patch and therefore if I went home and bought it this evening I could start playing right away?

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

IDK if it's me or the game but I think it's harder to get kills, I'm finding it hard to pull a k/d higher than 1. There is less sniping in this than BFBC2, the iron sights are cool, but I would love to see tracers, motion sensors and smoke nades.

12. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's insta-play in that it was in the last (retail version) patch so u buy a code

13. October

October Mariachi Style

I only make it past a kdr of 1 about 50% of the time, too busy rushing. Loving Cold War a lot atm but far too often as attacker there'll be 7 or 8 snipers sitting on the hill up to the left being absolutely useless. It has led to lots of rage quits lol

I'll probably be in Vietnam around 9 or 10 then, Tron and job application first :D

14. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Must admit I find it different, I'm getting kills way easier and I find that cover has become more effective. played 10-12 times now and only twice have I had a D/K below 1,5 playing as a engineer.

Tracers and motion sensors would just be out of place, but nothing wrong in adding smoke in the form of smoke Hand-grenades.

i would like to see some restrictions on the weapons as well, no M16 to the NVA and no RPG/AK47 to the US troops, so that there really is a difference between the US and NVA armies.

15. wyx087

it's already heavily lop sided with americans having advantage most of the time. Hill 137, US troops got a hole to drop onto A, Vietcong's can't get to the hole. Phu Bai Valley, Americans have chopper from the start, and all bases are closer to them.

CPC server is currently running Conquest, how many of you would jump on if it's running rush?

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yep, would be interested if it was running Rush. Haven't played much conquest.

I have also noticed that it takes an age to auto-balance the teams - this has lead to some crazy one-sided contests without it actually getting past the auto-balance warnings!

17. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 What's a Dremel?

Yeah id like it as rush, enjoyed conquest, but then taking A then runnig over and battling for ages to take B only to find A has been retaken and havnt even thought about C pffft.

Could it be rush a few nights and conquest the other, or see which is most popular after the servers been populated a bit more over the next few weeks.

18. wyx087

i'll set the server as rush for tomorrow :)

19. October

October Mariachi Style

Does it make the slightest bit of difference where I buy it? Apart from Steam, I have a retail vanilla.

Edit: the buy at Game.co.uk link on the official site takes you to the BC2 limited edition page :sigh:

20. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

What about 4 man rush... works well!

btw how do I clear up my sloppy spelling on the title of this thread?