1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-970 CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Jul 2010.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So you can run Super Pi 1M stably - that doesn't prove a thing. I can run my CPU at 4.2GHz and get Super Pi 32M to a sub 9 minute time but it wasn't stable enough for anything else. Try doing some FEA or CFD for a few hours - that'll let you know if your overclock is actually stable.

And of course, Bit-Tech could've just got a dud chip...

2. nate302

nate302 What's a Dremel?

I've run prime95 blend test for 20 minutes, no problems, however after that I decided 4.5 was the cap for my setup, I didn't want to push temps higher. under full load is was averaging 65c. Idle it sits anywhere from 33-38c

3. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Im folding on 2 970's and have flogged my 980x...

Both 1.335 v and more to go (4.2ghz) they are amazing chips..

Cant believe CPC didnt pick this up in the review...

4. TheQuadFather

TheQuadFather What's a Dremel?

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A couple of days ago they were just under £440, so they're creeping back up! I want to get one but on the other hand I think I'll be buying into LGA2011 so I may as well wait.
    Ahh, blast from the past! A prime95 test needs to be run for probably at least three hours, more like 24 to be sure. Still, as long as your PC doesn't crash regularly for your usage, all good.

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Wow, highly inappropriate from a site/mag worker.

7. Samsite

Samsite What's a Dremel?

I am shocked!

Disclaimer: I don't work for Intel

I agree ,

As some members pointed out, I must stress the limitation of testing a 4gig processor with ram only capable of 1600mhz.

The new x58 architecture is very sensitive on the ratio RAM multiplication vs CPU Speed.

Using 920 CPU with Dominator 2000mhz can only exploit the RAM so much while the processor is maxed out by the high voltage and heat induced by the high multiplier.

Same inverse proportion for an 970 with a 1600mhz, where you need to keep the multiplier low and starve the processor.

Plus a test on one single processor cannot infirm or confirm it's overclocking capability, you need a mean average to be able to establish that. And as basic epistemology states, the more processors you will test the more you will tend to a consistent conclusion.

Testing only one and stating it's crap, it's intellectually wrong, and tells a lot on both your scientific approach and probably the quality of the ancillary you used.

Regards

Tags: Add Tags