1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Eee Note EA800 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Looks like a handy £170 notepad. Quite interested tho as I'd rather keep all my notes together and filed automatically rather than in multiple scraps of paper.

3 questions:
    Can you create templates so you can go into a meeting with a premade note sheet?
    Is there handwriting recognition software that converts my scribble to legible text?
    Can you load the notes you've taken onto PC?

3. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

where can we try one?

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

For the price I'm a bit put off but the stylus and note taking is where its at. Carrying round file blocks plus a laptop to uni is a pain in the butt and half the time my notes and psudocode scribbles get wrecked or get lost in piles of papers.
    Laptops and tablets are useless for taking notes especially at the speed I need so I'd far rather just print the power point and scribble over it.
    If it can download and handle power point files, gets a kindle "app", possibly allow me to hack it and use as an input device for my pc (just for doodling when bored). I'd defo get one. I can always just get a new phone for wifi tethering (our uni needs a software download to access the wifi) and all media necessities for travelling in and out and it leaves my netbook for when I'm actually sitting programming.
    Problem I have with a tablet is it overlaps many phone and laptop features but doesn't do them well enough to replace the need for me carrying either device. The only thing I would say a tablet device is better for is larger viewing area for media and easier to use on the bus than a laptop but other than that a phone and laptop does everything. At least the eee note removed the need for pens and paper and helps keep things neater. I'm torn too if I should get this........time to play with it in shop I think

5. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

Hmm. If they can come out with an upgraded version soon enough which adds colour, better wifi etc., this could be an invaluable asset to me in the future as I am aiming to study furniture design. Good note taking- and decent drawing capabilities in one small device might allow me to leave the laptop with added mouse and digitizer in the bag more often.

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

erm... what happened to progress?
    this is similar to notepad devices from... oh... let's say... 2000?

still could be useful for note taking in classes if it's that cheap, am tired of using my wacom tablet + laptop for note taking there... (yes, I'll always prefer a pen-style system over my own bloody fingers) :p

7. tseax

tseax < >

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I have a feeling that the relatively high price might be because of the Wacom digitiser... they're not exactly known for low cost...

9. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

Javaman have you heard of livescribe smartpen? I think it might be a better option than this notepad for university note taking.
    Iv been using mine at Uni and I'm so used to it now that I cant go to a lecture without it. lol
    As for PC input, you can do that now, but with app you have to buy.

oh yeah and something the smartpen has over this is the wow factor people see it and they freak out and think its magic :D

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I know it is a bit offtopic... But I saw the site and somethings weren't clear for me. Do you need a type of notebook with all those drawings in the botton to make it work correctly? Because i live in brasil and importing notebooks would be a pain. How potent is the microphone? do i need "to smell" the teacher to record something he is saying?

Anyway, I will buy one of these two, so any help would be nice. Thanks ;)

11. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

The paper has microdots which can be recognised by the infra-red camera in the pen.
    You can print off your own paper but I found it to be too tedious and requires an expensive postscript compatible laser printer to work, although I think people have come up with ways to print something that is usable with an average black and white laser printer.

The microphone is surprisingly good, and has three sensitivity settings which you can set according to room size. I can sit half way up a large lecture hall and get clear accurate recordings.
    hope that answers your question... and sorry guys for going way off topic.

12. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

He said wacom style, not branded wacom, and if it was wacom it would make it worth it since wacom makes long lasting quality products in my past experience, but again he merely likened it to the wacom.

13. Peterk

Peterk What's a Dremel?

I just want a device I can take to meetings and mark PDFs ppts and other documents and save them to evernote. I am astonished that these devices have been so slow to come to market.

Tags: Add Tags