1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great design, and fabrication work Waynio! This is gonna be Epic when it's finished :thumb:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you so much Bill appreciated :thumb: & merry christmas to you & everyone else here :), probably be between christmas & new year before I get the jig materials.

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I had to catch up now, and I gotta say, nice work. I agree with Bill that it will be stunning when completed. Maybe another MOTY nominee. Congrats! :thumb:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Razer mate :thumb:, I won't get my hopes up for anything & then if anything good comes from it then it's a bonus, just made the optical mount but might need to relocate the drive mounting holes 3mm back.

Can't wait to get started on making the jigs :rock:.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you can improve on what you've already done, then why shouldn't it make MOTY again. Air cube was a good build, I loved it, this ones showing all the signs of being even better with all the fabrication going on..

So there's no pressure on you then...lol

6. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

the detailed fabrication is in a class of its own! super work!!

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Jeff mate, arrrrgh the pressure :D.

Thank you infekted :blush::thumb:.

Woooo hoooooooo produced an update in the freezing cold :brrr: :D.

Had to re do the optical flat mounts as I did it so the optical were sticking out by 3mm by accident (I'm blaming the cold :D)

So got all the bottom storage bits done, :) hmmm maybe not, still need to shape the flat bar clamps.

I'll work on getting it all cleaned up & brushed nicely later, just focusing on getting the basic form first, that is definitely it until I get the jig materials & on the 3rd jan I'm painting the house so that might take a few days.

Anyway it feels good to have made a little more progress :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

there ya go! looks very solid. good work.

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

We want moaaaaaaaaaaaaar pls!!! ;) Blame the cold always too bro it will never say anything back lolz :) Amazing as always!

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good progress again!

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb:.

:hehe: steady progress feels like a distant memory, been itching to do more but still not been to the diy store, I keep asking if they will give me a lift but they too busy browsing the net or watching tv :wallbash::lol: & they want me to paint the house in a few days time arrrrrgh :lol:.

Thanks mate :thumb:.

For those that want MOAR Here's a picture to show the clearance between the fan holders & the optical, thats all for the time being.

[​IMG]

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I have those fans, but my haf 922 doesn't have fabrication like that.

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I don't know why , but for some reason I thought this project was going to quite big, similar to Air Cube, just taller.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:duh: Difficult comments make for difficult replies :lol: :D.
    A retail case wouldn't without a high price :), but I'm sure everything would be 100% spot on & very well made, if case manufacturers used thick aluminium most consumers would laugh hysterically at the cost :D which is part of the reason why I like making them myself, building a tool collection costs a little to a lot to a heck of a lot but once you have the basics you can build a nice case that is beyond high end for a mid range price & could be very cheap to do SFF cases, but another thing about scratch building it's giving me heaps of skills which can be applied to so many other things :).

My office chair busted, the chair arm that holds the back piece on snapped in half about a year ago, with my mod ability I bolted an aluminium flat bar to join it back up & it's still good & strong so saved me having to buy a new chair :).

I have a lot of free time but even busy people sit & watch tv or read books or play games or you get the picture, most people have at least 2 hours spare in a day in some form ;), but sometimes there are real limiting factors like nowhere decent to mod, like if I lived in a high rise flat I would have to change the material I use to something that wouldn't require noisy tools or go the expensive route & design all the parts on the pc & send the designs to fabricators but this for me would really void the nice & cheap factor in making my own.

It keeps me busy mentally & physically which is good :).

I like developing skills.

I like making cases as much as I like gaming maybe more so :D.

low end case usually between £10 & £60

mid range case £60 to £160

High end £160 to £300

Super deluxe £300 to £500 or maybe more but Level 10 @ £500 is the most expensive one I've seen at retail in the UK.

The materials for Stealthlow falls into the high end price, Air Cube fell into mid range & so did the stack unit.

It is, but not a wide load :D I'm going vertical with this :) 235mm wide 392mm deep 747mm high without case feet so probably about 770mm at the highest point with feet :thumb:, I might even make a stand for it too, I just like not having to put a pc on a desk & think it's good to have it stand on it's own but don't like putting a pc directly on the floor, suppose if I really wanted I could make the stand to be a radiator holder for some mad water cooling :naughty:, ok I'm getting way ahead of myself now so I'll shut up :lol:.

15. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

coming along super nice! working lots of alloy is a pain I know... ;)

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb: I swear the disc sander really speeds things up with slimming down pieces to precise size, it's been a massive helper so far, just need to keep a bucket of cold water near by so I can cool the pieces down when they get scorching :D.

And I found out I'll be getting to the diy store on wednesday so if all goes well I'll be marking up the wood pieces for the jigs I need ready for cutting on thursday :thumb:.

17. NavidsonRecord

haha I used my 12" disk sander too, and a bucket of water lol

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn I need to stop by here more often man! this is looking awesome

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Don't forget the towel also to dry it off before putting it back to the sander ;).
    Just glad I wasn't wrong about getting the sander, still on the 1st sanding disc :), used to cut to rough size & have heaps of filing to do so just getting straight edges took a lot of effort before now.

:) Thanks Ed :thumb:, might have something else to show tomorrow, depends on if I get stuck in on the marking/cutting/drilling of the wood, can't help but wonder what stage this case would be at if I already had the jig materials.

20. NavidsonRecord

Yea I just shake dry it. Make sure you have hook loop pads! changing disk it a dream then. I have metal 100grit on mine and it works a treat!