1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows EVE - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AndyGoldie, 27 Dec 2010.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

I quit WoW way back as I found it amazingly boring and extremely linear but now I kind of miss games which involve heavy player interaction and are basically impossible to complete. From what I've seen of EVE, it looks lovely. Never played it though so I really have no idea what it is like in-game. I don't want to play any other ancient themed games like Guild Wars or Aion so i'm considering EVE.

So my real question : If you play it, could you tell me about it? Is there a steep learning curve, is everything balanced, what's the main point of it, does it revolve around teamwork, is it buggy, is there hackers. All the norm stuff. Any form of feedback in appreciated. I'm going to go google about it just now but I always find a view from someone who has played it is far better than any other source :)

2. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

is it any good? Yes, yes, YES and yes.
    is it for you? maybe, maybe not.

I been playing it for a good year+ now and i wouldn't dream of going back to wow after playing this.
    The learning curve has gotten alot softer recently and as long as you stick to high-sec for a bit you shouldn't have much problems. Trick is to find a good corp (same as a guild in wow) who will show you the ropes and get you on your feet.

From a balance point of a view its like any other MMO, 1 patch one race/ship is imbalanced, the next patch its a completely different ship/weapon system. Nothing however is unbeatable.
    Eve promotes team work however you can get a lot done by yourself if you feel like it, just don't expect to be conquering parts of space by your lonesome.

Cheaters/hackers wise its pretty sound, sure eve has some but compared to any other MMO it is so so small in comparison, however people ripping each other off is pretty much expected game play, so is suicide ganking among other things, you just learn how to avoid it.

Its the opposite of wow in just about every single way.

3. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I'm heavily considering getting it now I've watched a few videos and read up about it + what you've said. Just out of curiosity, what are the graphics like on max settings? If its very pretty chances are ill be a sucker for it. I love space and galaxy's when they look amaaaaazing.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I played Eve and it was a complete shambles, Most people on Eve have been playing for years and just smash you to bits in seconds.

Oh and i found it boring mining, questing exc,

Each to their own though.

5. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i played guildwars, and thats pretty linier, i think eve is much more open. i tempted to try it, but do i need another gaming addiction?

im also meh about openworld games

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It's a real disappointment if you go into corp and alliance stuff with massive battles as it's just a slideshow lag battle. Small scale combat and PVE stuff if good though.

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Yeah, eve is one of the best looking MMO's on the market. (age of conan looks pretty good too)

It does have a steep learning curve, and I found it a bit slow.
    I've only played eve for about 5/6 months total (a couple of month long bursts normally) and in that time I don't think i've ever teamed up with someone, but that's more by choice than anything (was in a nice active corp)

It also has a 14 day trial (21 days if someone refers you) And is on sale now on steam for about £4 anyway.

one more warning: You can't really explore in EVE, as it's not freeform movement, it's more like plotting courses, which is one of the things that sort of ruined it for me.

As for other Sci-fi MMO's theres Star wars galaxies, but it's pretty terrible (went from a good game to trying to copy WoW).
    Anarchy online, which has a free program and worth a shot (looks ugly mind, and has a fair learning curve, and a terrible tutorial)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

EvE isn't an action-game to start with. You don't really actively control your ship like in Freelancer or Privateer.

EvE is all about tactics, good preparation (setups and gathering intelligence) and good knowledge about the game-mechanics.

The real sellingpoint for EvE is it's 100% playerdriven economy and the player-politics.

If you're looking for a more action-oriented game with good PvE then EvE won't be the game for you.
    If you're looking for a slow-paced PvP game based on social engineering then you'll love EVE.

I'm subscribed for nearly 6 years now, but I've taken my holidays from EvE now and then, as this game will burn you out pretty fast, once you're in a leading position of a null-sec alliance. This game can be pretty much a second full-time job ;)

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

If you are curious about it, pick it up on Steam, its on special today for $4.99 US, includes a month of subscription time. Jump in and try it out, you might love it or.... well, you might not lol.

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Also, something that i haven't seen mentioned (i think at least):

Character progression is completely separated from play time in that in order to fly bigger ships (and fit them properly) you need to train certain skills to certain levels. These skills take an arbitrary amount of time (ranging from a few minutes for low levels to several days for higher levels... sometimes even a month to max out a skill).

You can make the time shorter but even then you won't cut them by too much. It stops the "grind" feeling of levelling, however you soon either realise one of two things:

- The grind for levelling is merely replaced by the grind for money... the easiest way for newbies to do this is either by missioning, mining or trading. The latter two involving very little input and the former can get very repetitive since there's only a pool of about 10-20 missions you can get assigned.

- You odn't have to play in order to advance. Currently since there's not much to do for me all i do is log on to change over a skill to train and spin my ship in station... other than that it's only fun when you have people to roam with imo.

11. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I always wanted to play it but I heard it's a grind fest. Even more than most MMORPG's.

12. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Been playing eve on a off for a couple of years now and it is a brilliant game, though if you want to play on your own it's probably not so good, to get the most out of it you really need to find a good corp (equivalent of guild).

The learning curve is rather steep but the tutorials have improved massively recently, and even brand new characters can be useful quite quickly in pvp if you want.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

EvE really is more of a grindfest that almost any other MMORPG (i say almost, i'm looking at you here stupid 'exploreeveryinchofworldforpoxytitlesupdate' Guild Wars!). Graphically it is very very good and the player driven economics do give it a great feeling of being part of something much much bigger than a simple guild but the amount of time you have to invest in EvE to get anywhere is staggering. I alwasy found EvE to be the MMO's equivilent of Player Manager football games- its mainly the management side but you can have a go if you want to.

I know you've stated you don't want to go down the fantasy-hacky-slashy route but in your position i would try various MMO's since nearly all have a free trial and alot are now free to play in a limited fashion with micro-trannies.

Lord Of The Rings Online is great for PvE, one of the best, but don't be expecting much PvP at all. Warhammer Online is nothintg but a PvP rank grindathon. Age Of Conan is largely dead anyway but is also nothing but grinding for your guild city. Champions Online is great fun but extremely shallow. Lego Universe is aimed at kids (even though i really really enjoyed the beta just for the nerdy novelty).

Star Wars:The Old Republic looks to be fantastic and may suit your needs but we're still a ways off release. Guild Wars 2 looks awesome but again, miles away.

And Diablo 3 (not strictly an MMO but meh) looks like it will never get released.

14. nukeman8

Very pretty looking, certainly one of the best, if not the best looking MMO out there.

That is partly true, do not expect to play for a week and kill people who have been playing for years. With that said thou i think that is true for any MMO?

True - 1 thing to note thou is that they are constantly improving on that, at the last count they can support 800 people in 1 system or something similar.

Pretty much does a way better job then me about summing eve up :thumb:
    Although i would argue the slow paced bit - small ship battles are very the opposite.

Its the opposite, as Bufo802 said you can be useful to the largest of alliances from day 1.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I remember quite a while ago they seemed to have it fixed(ish), then the next update buggered it up again and it's been terrible since.

16. nukeman8

yeah when the latest expansion came out they broke it again but fix it and improved it some more since.
    O thats another thing all eve expansions are free.

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

[​IMG]

Well worth it though, provided you have plenty of free time.

18. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

[​IMG]

eve is an awesome game. played it a couple of months, gonna play it again when i have the time to invest in an mmo. there are a bunch of ways you could make money (apart from the regular mining / mission grinding). and since piracy is a huge part of the game there are very few hackers (compared to other mmos). there are a few isk spammers (equivalent to gold spammers i wow i suppose) though, but after a months play (when you are no longer allowed in the noob chat) you're rid of them.
    there's nothing like the thrill of scanning down battlecruisers/battleships/marauders in dead space, warping in and steal their loot! making millions in a couple of hours! being a ninja is the way to go (for me anyway).

edit;
    i've just been ninjad... big time... crap... curse you xenophobiak!

19. nukeman8

the ninja gets ninjaed :D

i think thats a big appeal for some eve players, the chance to really play the bad guy. Alot of games try to offer it but usually fail.

20. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

That's another thing about eve: if you can do it and isn't explicitly banned then you can do it, whether it's stealing loot, baiting people into fights in high sec, scamming (there have been some seriously impressive bits of corporate theft in the past) and the amount of effort the community puts in is huge.

There are also so many more things than just fighting to do from starting/leading a corp, exploring on your own or in groups, trading, mining and there is currently work being done on introducing being able to get out of your ship and walk around space stations, along with increased planetary interaction (combined with being connected to dust 514).