1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Any parts i can get while i wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan-ere-07, 30 Dec 2010.

1. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to be building a pc next month (waiting for sandy bridge) and i was wondering, is there any parts i can ger now before the VAT goes up?

I was thinking HDD, 2 of these: Link

SSD, Maybe this: Link

Maybe memory? Link

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  2. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Sandy Bridge (1155) uses Dual Channel memory, not triple.

I wouldn't buy Memory unless you're certain you will be going sandy bridge. If you decide to get an i7-950, for example, because Sandy Bridge wasn't what you're expecting for whatever reason, you'll want triple channel memory, not dual.

3. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

From experience I would say wait until you know what you want and buy it all at once.
    Some suppliers only give you 7 days to find any incompatibility issues with your build.
    I had a nightmare with Aria and ended up RMAing my PSU back to the manufacturer, which was a major pain in the butt.

4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't bother with an SSD, as 3rd gen Intels should be out in Q1.

The F3 is a good choice, as is an F4 2TB if you have lots of media. I would look at a case and PSU personally.

You could get memory, but even though it'll be compatible, I'd rather get that with a mobo and cpu. Which is just silly, but it's my way.

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Case, PSU, Optical drives.

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The VAT rise is only £25 per £1000 spent so it's not going to be massive savings and hence not really worth the bother.
    A PSU and case and HD are all safe to buy now, and duel channel RAM if your sure your getting a sandy bridge.
    Graphics, it's likely that there be a price drop greater than the VAT rise in the next months with the release of the 560 in the mid range market.

Any peripherals/windows you should get now.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

True, that's why I bought a 12K car this month. I didn't want the gubmint to get an extra 300 of my modding money! :thumb: