1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming iPhone Preview: Dead Space

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Hmm, lengthy single player games are my favourite thing. The iPhone already has far too many little puzzle type games that I can play while waiting 10 minutes for the bus, so I really want more proper games. One of my best so far is The Quest, but a shooter would be nice too.

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Good god, Dead Space in your pocket, whatever next.

I can just imagine somebody playing this on a crowded train and who ever is next to them seeing some necromorph dismemberment when they sneek a peek or if the person playing has the volume level at typical iphone/ipod levels.

4. ghost55

ghost55 Needs More Jiggawats!

I just want a handheld gaming device with dual ANALOG sticks!

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

But can it run Crysis?

6. sausages

ME TOO! I usually dislike playing iPhone games that has a virtual analogue pad. It hurts my thumb and it feels weird and I just really dislike it. That's why I try to only buy games that involve touching the screen with my finger tip - which luckily is most games.

But even if the iPhone just had one real analogue stick on the left, I would love that. There are some good iphone games that use the virtual analogue stick and I can't buy them because of that :/

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

You remember how for so many years the great challenge of any new hardware was "Can we run Doom on it?".

Crysis is the new Doom.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The problem with running "big" games on these rather small devices is that, however technically great both software and hardware is, you lose the immersion by looking at a 3-4" screen. Ok, the iPad has a larger screen, but it's still not enough in my opinion.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The biggest problem is that the battery turns to jelly :(

10. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Gaming device with dual analogs? Hows does this look:

http://www.openpandora.org/

Little ugly and a pain in the ass to order, but it's.... oh god, I almost wrote "impressive".... DOH!

11. sausages

I actually got really nicely immersed in the two big RPG's I've played on iPhone. The Quest was great and really memorable for me, and I felt like I was there. I hold the screen quite close to my face so that helps, but really I love gaming on the iPhone, and that game in particular.

I think with proper games though, I'm always going to play them on my PC first and experience them 'properly'. To then be able to play them on the go is just a bonus.

As for that Pandora box, I really like it. If it can run dosbox and play my old favourites then I'd quite like one. The problem is that it's not a phone and it doesn't play films and music (I think). So I'm still going to have to take my iPhone with me everywhere, and I would have to take that in addition. My phone has one pocket and my wallet and keys have the other pocket, so if I had an extra device like this, I would have to carry it, and if I was going to have to carry something extra, I would rather just have a good laptop. Once these little pocket portables finally evolve in to an all-in-one device though, I can say goodbye to my iPhone. It's bigger and less slick looking, but being able to play dosbox games would make it worth it, to me.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  12. StoneyMahoney

I must admit, I am kinda of torn between the Pandora and the 4th gen iPod Touch. App and game support on the iPod will be far better but the Pandora does have the analog sticks and dual SDHC cards... I'm also unsure about the Pandora's video playback capabilities. I haven't seen anything about how well the decoding features of it's chipset (which IIRC is the same one the 3rd gen iPod Touch uses) are leveraged, but it would be pretty cool to stand a Pandora on the train table in front of me on my epic commute home instead of awkwardly balancing an iPod somewhere. I don't have any problem carrying lots of little devices around with me, I like my phone and games console to not share a battery. ;)

Still, that Pandora is very hard to get and *expensive*...

EDIT: One Google search later, I find VLC has been ported to the Pandora. Still need to find out what res/complexity H264 it can handle.

EDIT2: It has trouble with 576P h.264 unless you overclock it. I think I'll get an iPod Touch.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2011
  13. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I see a problem brewing here ... if any games last longer than 10 minutes on the iPhone or any small mobile device, are you going to mark them down?

Maybe you need one of the team who spends more time commuting to review the bigger stuff?

Would it be any good on a 12 hour flight?

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I have an hour-long commute, actually :p

It's not a matter of how long the game lasts anyway, but the details of the saving system. If a game is developed for a multi-purpose and obviously mobile platform then it's surely not too much to ask that it be designed with a save-anywhere system?

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Totally agree! In this day-and-age it should not even be called a feature, more so a basic requirement!
    :hehe:

16. StoneyMahoney

I guess the DS has the feature that the Apple devices need to ape somehow - you close the lid, the game is paused and it goes to sleep on the spot. Perfect for changing trains or getting on/off the bus.

Tags: Add Tags