1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Not necessarily, they are aimed at different markets. Some people want larger cases to cram more cooling into. Having a large case can be a good thing as long as you manage the space wisely.

2. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Good luck with the second stage of the competition guys... some awesome designs have got through :thumb:

3. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Ah, that's not quite so big then, and yours is probably a more manageable depth as well.

Well, I don't think the voters are likely to check the actual size... if they factor size in to their decision it will more likely be based off the pics - a horribly inaccurate way of judging it. I've had people tell me both that my design looks too cramped and that it's too big/too much space inside, just depending on what components were loaded :sigh:

Maybe we should have a line up of all the cases showing relative sizes at the end of the round? Just an idea.

Razer2007 likes this.
  4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We definitely need to talk about size so everyone should talk about the basic specifications and dimensions of the case, if only to see if it can be made smaller. As I've said before the cases are going to be big. But there are always ways of making a case a bit smaller and a bit more convenient to use.

Specifications and dimensions will also be included in Stage 2 voting.

Razer2007 likes this.
  5. Combatus

As far as 200mm rads go, if you can fit three single 200mm rads in the roof then the Antec Big Boy 200mm fan is pretty good. We tested it a couple of years ago - not as good as a good 120mm fan, size for size but it's not far off and was vastly superior to anything else. I doubt we'll see triple 200mm radiators any time soon though, which is main issue anyone would have if they were thinking of buying the case.

Maybe you could look at designing some universal adapters which would allow you to fit any size radiator in the roof, like the Cooler Master ATCS 840 does? That way you get great airflow for the rest of the case but if there's room for a 4 x 140mm rad in the roof too then this makes it much more flexible and less cluttered.

6. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Could have everyone submit images of their design in parallel view from all sides, sort of like I did in my exterior views pic. Have everyone include a constant-size square around their model which you can use as a reference to resize the images to. Then present them side-by-side. I'd volunteer (could do it easily), but I wouldn't want anyone worried about me cheating :worried:

Alternatively, you could have everyone send their models to someone with a beefy machine with a ton of RAM (not me :sigh:), to line them up for precise comparison.

Or, just use some generic color-coded boxes of the right size for each design for a visual comparison.

In all cases, a known case or two should be used as a reference (e.g., TJ-07, 800D).

The reason I think a visual comparison is important is that it tells you intuitively at a glance the relative size of each; expecting voters to scrutinize specs and attempt to form an accurate mental image of the relative sizes isn't realistic.

Heh... you did read my post and/or look at the pic, right? Quad 140/120 support is already there. I just wanted to know if I should drop the triple 200 and SR-2 support to save space.

Three single 200mm rads in the roof won't work; the extra length of the rads from the end tanks/fittings is pretty significant. Dual 200mm rads will fit fine though.

That Antec fan is an odd size - 250mm on one side (edit: 225mm I guess). Would mean there'd only be room for two in my design, but if there's only two 200mm rads, then maybe that's okay. Hm... I could make the case 40mm wider but... nah.

I wonder if those 180mm Silverstones make good rad fans...

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  7. Roboduck

Depending on what everyone is using I'm sure we could find a case that is modeled in everyone's software? I modeled a TJ07 in SolidWorks using a TJ07 modeled in SketchUp for reference. I don't know what everyone is using but between the two modeling softwares I'm sure we could get a model to everyone that would be the same size.

I would still love to see someone line up all the cases for a massive render of awesomeness :rock:

8. Combatus

Will see what I can do! I need to find out all the dimensions first!

9. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

Stage 1 entry -

Phobya V Cool by Zukomonitor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current spec

Atx support
    all cable routing behind motherboard tray
    2x 120mm case fans
    1 140mm case fan exhuast (not pictured)
    enclosed psu
    2x 5.25 bays
    dual 360 rads
    dual EK multi option 150 res's
    2x removable hdd bays 3x hdd's in each bay (6x total hdd space)

Last edited: 9 Jan 2011
  10. Roboduck

Here is the start of the solution for those of you who want front facing drive bays. It will be removable just like the full radiator bay but will allow for 3x 5.25" drive bays as well as dual 2x 140mm or 120mm radiators. Its kinda ugly at the moment but I will work on that as I go. I want to stress that this would be an optionional attachment so you can choose from the full radiator bay or this one. This option could also free up the space taken up by the side facing drive bays, allowing you to mount the pump and res under the center divider for an even cleaner look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feedback?

11. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Offering it as an option would be a great idea :thumb:

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Only if this option comes at ZERO additional costs for the customers, i.e. is part of the base-price.

13. Roboduck

The parts required are very simple and shouldn't add much cost. It would be up to Phobya to decide if they want to offer it as a package with the case or as an additional add-on to be purchased separately. Also the case could be offered as 2 different variants, one with the full rad compartment and one with the front drive bays. Either way you are paying for the flexibility so yes the cost would be increased a small amount. Again that choice would be up to Phobya not me. Thank you for your feedback.

14. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

You know... I had never really deeply analyzed your design before - to be honest I was a little put off by the bent-metal-and-rivets look of it, no offense. No accounting for taste ;)

So I've been sitting here looking at and thinking about it the past little while, and my thinking is that it's basically a TJ-07 with the drives and radiator positions exchanged, and honestly I'm hard-pressed to say that there's any advantage to this layout vs. the TJ-07's. Meanwhile, there seems to be some distinct disadvantages - namely, the problem you're now trying to address: the front bays.

You want my opinion? Flip the whole thing 90' onto its front. Front becomes the bottom, bottom becomes the front. Rotate the 5.25" bays so they face out. If necessary, flip the motherboard so longer 5.25" drives/their cables can fit without running into long video cards. Leave everything else the same. HDD exhaust is at the top front now, along with the PSU, which can be recessed to run a right-angle cable to the back of the case. You'd need a cover up there to keep it decent looking. Front panel stuff could go there as well.

Maybe that's too radical a change at this stage? But OTOH, all you're basically doing is switching the rad locations with the drives/PSU, which sounds like it's within the rules.

That's more than you asked for, I'm sure, but that's what I think I would do with that layout after a bit of thinking on it.

Other than that, I'd switch out the feet for round Lian-Li style ones. I'm not a huge fan of the slim ODD hump; I guess if I were to keep it I'd ditch the bends at the sides and make them planar with the side panels. I don't like see-through grilles on the front/sides of the case; obviously, I tried to address that preference with my design, and that's something that would be partially addressed were you to switch the rads to the bottom.

/my $0.02

15. Roboduck

No offense taken. :thumb: To each their own. I really like the angular industrial look with the exposed screws so I am going to stick with that. It may not appeal to everyone's taste but its what I like so thats what I'm sticking with. :D (oh and there are NO rivets in my case, only screws. Rivets are my mortal enemy :miffed:.)

I actually started with a design similar to what you are describing but I wanted to move away from that because it seemed like everyone was doing that style of layout. I am more going for the "to stand out you have to be different" approach. What you describe is essentially the TJ11 thats in development. I admit that my design has its flaws but it is something different that (as far as I know) hasn't been made available for purchase. I also wanted to try something different with the removable front bay which wouldn't really work if it was on the bottom. Who knows though, maybe I can work that layout into the existing design so you can choose from either a horizontal or vertical layout?

I think I will switch to round case feet but I want to keep the top bulge. Im not sure about the grills yet either. I may switch to smaller round holes but I don't know yet.

I appreciate your comments and It does help give me a feel of what others are thinking. :thumb:

16. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Yeah, a lot of the entries boil down to TJ-07 variations... a bit hard to do much different if you're going with the side-to-side rad approach. But now that we're in stage 2 the field has narrowed a lot, and standing out maybe isn't important as making a highly functional design. And besides, you've got those awesome rendering skills to stand out :hip:

Well, someone has to take over that idea now that it's free ;)
    Seriously though, it was one of the most functional designs here. Pity how it went.

17. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

18. Roboduck

I did, it's just a wider angle and has a different background/floor. Check my first post, second image.

BTW Razor what software are you using?

Edit: Comparison shots to TJ07. Mine is about 20mm shorter from the top of the bulge and 50mm shorter from the top panel. About the same length and 15mm wider.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Congrats guys on making it to the 2nd round!

I will be commencing work on the design once I find the file again (oh noez!). Just started a new job and have longer custody for my kids now so my time is truely limited.

Razer2007 likes this.
  20. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Helo there fusis :D Hope you get time to work on it!

I use Sketchup + VRay.

I prefer the previous feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.