1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft denies Kinect for PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2011.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

For what it's worth, the "adult" world is already developing games for the Kinect. Apparently they have the imagination to see where motion sensing controls can be used. Considering the same market, I can see why Asus might be interesting in such a device for the PC. 3D camera setups and motion tracking take webcam shows to a whole new level.

Related to the whole Microsoft vs the world discussion, I think it's bad form to just bash Microsoft for not immediately developing the Kinect for PC when my PS3 still lacks the native ability to play PS2 games. It only does everything my ass.

2. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

So, the pattern here tends to be this:
    Rumor: the kinect is going to be awesome!
    Microsoft: no. its not going to be awesome.

3. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

who cares about playing ps2 games with all the great games out for Ps3? You can buy a ps2 for 50 bones, and even less now. Hardly the same thing, at least Sony supported the PS2 a long time and never dropped it like MS dropped the xbox like a wet rag.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I have several games for PS2 that I enjoy, and they are not available for the PS3. If they were available for the PS3, I would not want to have to buy them a second time. I have a PS2, but I'd really rather do all my gaming from a single console, rather than having to switch back and forth between the two. It's the same reason I don't use my old DVD player anymore.

My point is that adding backwards compatibility should have been easy considering the PS3's relatively decent hardware. It's not like it was a case of a physically different cartridge. Instead, Sony offered partial backwards compatibility up through the 80gb "CECHExx" model, and then made a business decision to remove that feature with the subsequent models. Microsoft aren't the only big corporation making business decision based on economic factors.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I think our concensus in this thread must be not to reply to mastorofpuppetz reply's as these seems to be mostly for trolling :-/

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I disagree. So far Microsoft hasn't killed anybody. Coca-Cola and Nestle have, through direct action as well as neglect. Companies like Eli Lilly and Merck have deliberately hidden research that shows some of their medications are harmful and occasionally, lethal.

Your petty grievances are luxury whining. On the other side of the world people are dying through the (in)actions of big companies the products of which are daily household brand purchases in your world.

8. mastorofpuppetz

U say you disagree yet do not offer one example? LMAo, outside of windows, MS has done squat, and just throw ridiculous cash around to try and buy their way into everything. For a company with as much cash they have a terrible track record. I never said anything about harming people. LMAO. it the tech industry MS are one of the worst.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Nexxo wins here mastor, Food companies are infinitely worse than all tech companies, if not for negligence then for being outright greedy.

Just look at the US beef processing methods.

10. mastorofpuppetz

He wins by talking about something no one else was? Its not even relevant, no one was comparing tech and food companies, LMAO.

11. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

Looks like we have another Warrior_24/7 (starts on page 3)

12. Nexxo

Well, you know what they say about arguing on the internet being like the Special Olympics... :D

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  13. Elton

Merely pointing out that you are overstating how unethical Microsoft is. Food and tech are multi-billion dollar industries. By saying Microsoft is THE WORST(or rather unethical) is quite an overstatement.

Enron anyone?

14. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i'd love kinect for my pc.

dancing with the girlfriend on a tune, but the next song in the shuffle is no dancing tune? wave your hand. no more jumping for the media buttons you can't see in the light of a few candles... and here is hoping the kinect has a limited infrared range:p

and i think the technicalities of the kinect are a non-issue. if you want finer control, stand closer to the camera. place it on top of you monitor, while sitting a meter from it, and it could probably track your eyes...

imagine, surfing with a cup of coffee, laid back in the chair, and pointing with your eyes to the links, blinking twice to click them. some voice to text software and you can even troll on your favo forum without moving a finger. easy for clumsy skating enthousiasts, with their always broken arms!

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GOOGLE IT.

You are justifying your offense of Microsoft because of its track record in products? At its use of wealth? It's not like it developed nuclear arms for North Korea, used slave labour or outright killed people. Unless you have MILLIONS OF SHARES in Microsoft who cares if some/most of its products are less than magical? Simply DO NOT BUY THEM. There's always an alternative.

And yes, I would ban you for saying "M$" because you sound like a 12 year old from 1998.

Your attitude of "HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH ME? YOU ARE STUPID" is at best, unconstructive, and you're not making your points valid because they are so heavily biased and opinionated. You've had your say, now I strongly suggest you stop replying and go read another thread because you're pissing many people off, if my reported posts indicator is anything to go by.

EDIT: And for the record, I've tried Kinect and I'll never buy it for a console or PC or otherwise, but I understand that it's an innovative interface people can mod and use for their own ideas, beyond what a keyboard or remote or mouse offer us.

16. Elton

The resounding note of a hammer rings.

17. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

If I were more compos mentis right now, I would happily join in the new warrior debate. However I just came along to say if there was support in Windows for Kinect hand / finger tracks, as well as voice commands, I'd buy it. I know you can do all the hack and such, but some solid support would be nice.

Yes, just for the Minority Report style control.

It would be awesome for video and music editing. Not for fine control, obviously, but for general control. I'm sure that with a bit of tweaking and training, you could happily be able to teach the Kinect sensor various commands. For example, perhaps you want to record some vocals. The non-ideal is being in the same room as all your computer gear. Sensitive recording mics pick up a lot of electronic interference, and even the quietest of computers can sometimes be heard. The ideal is being in the next room (possibly) with the mic and such, and then being able to command the PC to start recording, maybe go back, try again etc, without having to go back and forth.

I'm being stupid, of course. A USB extender and a keyboard would do the same thing. But it would be far less cool.

And that's why we all have computers, right? For the cool? Whether it be power, or flashy lights, or just simple elegance, it's all about the cool. :D

Elton likes this.
  18. Nexxo

Hell, yeah! :cooldude:

19. mastorofpuppetz

Never once called anyone stupid..............

Offense? i do not take offense to MS, try not to assume, I simply do not like them as a company, NOTHING wrong with that, and I am hardly alone on that front for a reason. Companies like MS would stifle competition and innovation in many areas if given too much control, as we have seen already, GOOGLE it.

people are reporting my posts because I disagree with them? WOW, I stumpled across the kindergarten forum, seriously, nothing i said was offensive, i'm aloud to voice an opinion. People reporting me because I don't agree really need to grow up. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you without getting butt hurt, good luck getting through life.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Well, I will say this - at least it wasn't an anti-Apple rant this time. It was actually a bit refreshing defending Microsoft for a change.

Tags: Add Tags