1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'm loving this! What an intuitive cooling solution that actually looks good for once... Mod on!

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hehe, nice to hear that the theme is appreciated. I was actually thinking of making the case look like the first Mario character but thought the 1up version would be a little bit more fun and look nicer.

Haha, "ultra premium mushroom case" nice, I've always wanted one of those. Thanks

Well I'm glad you like the looks of my way of cooling since it's deffinetly not the most effective one. I'm pretty shure it breaks all the rules of heatsink designing there is. hehe but thats what makes it so fun

3. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like your cpu cooler, your solution is very cool.

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks. I hope it will cool as well;)

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

The next thing I was planing to do was to drill all the holes in the backplate. But since I don't know the exact position of the holes for the heatpipe-to-backplate-blocks until they're made, I'll do those first. I could have calculated the holeposition in the CAD model and hope that it'll fit in the end. But at this stage I prefer to rather build one piece at a time and to make shure everything fits because there is always the possibility of human error when using a manual mill.

And I got a taste of that human error at this stage. This is the piece that is supposed to connect the heatpipes to the heatsink. The plan was to make two similar pieces. But tired as I was, I managed to screw up the holes on one of the pieces so I only managed to finish one of them.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the screwed up piece, holes are shifted 3mm to the right and I didn't noticed until after. But anyway I show this because I didn't take a picture of the good piece at this stage.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The initial plan was to have the bottom sliced part threaded and therefore the top part would clamp down when screwed. But I realized that since the bottom sliced part is actually thinner under the hole and tightening the screw will only result in the bottom piece bending upwards instead of the top. The contact surface wouldn't therfore be totaly flat. So I decided to make the threaded hole in the heatsinkplate instead. A long description for a tiny thing.. but anyway.

Tokukachi likes this.
  6. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Awesome work!!! Will be awaiting the finish :D

7. McTw1st

McTw1st Rebirth of S-K-Y-N-E-T

Pah stop doing such a nice job lol no really lookin awsome bubbah :D

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop: Must be awesome being able to make your own heatsinks & it certainly looks mighty fine :rock::thumb:.

9. robump

robump Minimodder

This is looking so good! I wish i had the machining skills/the opportunity to do something like this!

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha thanks. Actually I don't think I'll ever stop doing this as I got atleast 5 more sketched ideas I want to make a reality :)

Thanks..Yes it's a really nice feeling holding the finished pieces and thinking back of the days when I only had acess to a Dremel and some woodclamps.

Thanks.

McTw1st likes this.
  11. McTw1st

McTw1st Rebirth of S-K-Y-N-E-T

haha thats awsome! will be waiting for them aswell ^^ +rep for this one!

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha thanks.. they'll get their own log here for shure. But I'll have to finish the current projects before I start something new. Wouldn't have started this one if it wasn't for it being so small, in contrast to some of the other ideas.

13. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Very nice. I like the simplistic-ish clamps. I would have done something like this:

_/\_

On both sides and then clamped the two together (if you follow that in the least).

Edit: Seriously this forum hates having letters with multiple spaces in between. Argh!

Last edited: 6 Jan 2011
  14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks.
    About your idea, do you mean to mill down the top pieces to make them flex more? Somewhat similar to what I did with the CPU cover in this pic:
    [​IMG]

BTW. Anyone got any info regarding my touchbutton question in bottom of post #96? Basically, will an anodized surface work as the direct contacting surface for a touchbutton? I'm assuming that the non conductive properties of the anodized surface will not make it possible, but I've never played around with DIY touchbuttons so I can't confirm this.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2011
    asura likes this.
  15. lakisss

lakisss I know what a dremel is...

Very nice work so far!
    Why didn't you use copper for the blocks?

16. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Copper is very expensive, Aluminium is easier to machine and more cost effective. and he'll be anodizing it, you can't anodize copper AFAIK

17. lakisss

lakisss I know what a dremel is...

I agree, but copper transfers heat quicker than aluminium to the heatpipes.
    That 's why it's used by manufactures at the blocks.
    Also copper can be chromed.

Another advantage is that you can solder the copper block and the heatpipes in order to achieve better transfer of heat, better than using thermal paste.

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks.
    Yes I could have used copper for the heatpipe blocks, you are right, and I was thinking of doing this. But I have no place to buy copper and the only copper I have was to small for the CPU block. So I decided to save it for the CPU and GPU blocks of my ProtoHype project. Soldering the pipes would have been the best I agree, but I hope that thermalpaste and alu will do fine for the pretty low heat output of this mboard.
    Thanks for the feedback:thumb:

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I said intuitive, and now we have precision drilling, detail and heatpipes! Have lots of rep.

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha thanks..I like details :)

infekted.one likes this.