1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lenovo demonstrates monitor with 3D webcam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

all i can say is pointless

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Ah you obviously haven't had a video chat with a hot naked hooker :D This will have its uses.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

lol clearly your mind is more wise than mine

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

... just think of all those long distance relationships that would benefit ...

6. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Motion sickness anybody?

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm starting to wish all tech news sites had an option to filter out certain news tags.
    '3D' would be at the top of my list for filtering, followed closely by 'tablet'.
    Maybe a generic filter for 'near-useless tech industry fads' would be best..

I for one cannot wait for this industry obsession with 3D to end because frankly I think the companies behind it are more excited about it than the consumers.

8. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

just wait till 3d tablets come out! that'll make your day!

9. varun

varun What's a Dremel?

A couple of years ago, a little-known company (Minoru) from the UK launched a 3D webcam at CES - they received a lot of attention. But - to the best of my knowledge - the product failed. It's hardly surprising... to see the video in 3D, the person chatting WITH you needs the glasses. So, not only are YOU, the consumer, paying for someone ELSE to "enjoy" seeing you in 3D (which means there's zero benefit to the buyer), but, worse, you need to send over a set of glasses to the other person.

The ONLY real-world use-case I see for this (albeit a bit geeky, I admit) is home monitoring, using a free service like GotoCamera. Leave the software running on the computer, put on your glasses, and see your home / dog / what-have-you in "glorious" 3D. That you'd end up looking just a little bit geeky when you dig out your phone on the subway or at work and put on the glasses is besides the point... ;-)

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

While I'm not sure what I'd actually use a 3D cam for, I do see the appeal in owning one for its gadget value alone. :D

However, as a person who love the 3D stuff that's been coming along lately, I am excited by this.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Great, now you can look stupid in your 3d glasses in front of other people.

Tags: Add Tags