1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First car - what colour should I paint my wheels? Mk2 Golf Content Pg. 8

Discussion in 'General' started by ry@n, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Most want 1ncb I believe.

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I have 0 NCB, makes all the difference, sadly.

Those pics were taken the day the wheels were fitted. I have since washed them with soapy water which have cleaned the tyres up a treat. I will try some Meguairs Gel, thanks :)

^ This. I have got a lot insurance quotes over the phone and online, including Quinn and Adrian Flux and the cheapest was Admiral as my parents are with them (multi-car policy). Untill I have at least 1 years NCB, its stupid money.

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Same car with more mods, at 18 with 0ncb for me was £1900.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

When was this? My quotes were all with 2 parents as named drivers (with 15+ years NCB each), the area I live in isn't that bad either.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

November 2009. Mine was with parents as named drivers and me as main.

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i came here to recommend you paint them pink, imagine my disappointment after seeing the pictures :(

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Well that is daylight robbery about the NCB. You shouldn't be paying anything for cosmetic mods. Performance I could understand.

Just if you fancy it, try Brentacre in Swansea and ask for John. Just see what he has to say if you get 5 minutes.

And post some pics of tyres with the gel on, it'll look 50x better - promise. You've got the makings of a nice looking car there :)

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You don't pay for the mods. You pay because they believe a person who has modded their car in any way will become a boy-racer and crash.

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Cheers for the tip, I will give them a ring :thumb:

Im trying to get hold of some colour coded trim and door handles from a breakers (to match the front bumper), Ill get these and give it a propper clean and get some decent pics up.

This is true sadly, some brokers charge more if the cars kept in a garage as people claim for things falling onto the car etc. All down to statistics :(

10. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

It's also based on the look. If it looks heavily modded (Fast or not) it's more of a liability for being stolen etc. If it looks fast they'll charge as if it goes fast.

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry guys, but what you're saying just isn't true of proper enthusiast insurers. I've had modified policies for 6 or 7 years now and I've NEVER paid for cosmetic mods. Mainstream insurers will charge you for all sorts of bollocks, even just "alloys", but Adrian Flux, Chris Knott, Green Flag, Sky, Herts and the like shouldn't do. I've even had zero NCB on a modified policy, but I was 24 at the time.

If you're paying extra for cheap aftermarket alloys, begs the question what all of your insurers would've charged me for 8" wide genuine Porsche rims with hub adapters??

12. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

When insuring my car they only asked if the wheels were a Genuine VW wheel upgrade or 'after market', they didn't care what they were which is clearly rediculous.

Im going to shop around as you suggested because I have a few more (tasteful) mods planned :naughty:

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

+1 to gun-metal grey but leave the rims silver as they are. Personally i wouldn't go for the BK set but i have a personal hatred of small diameter multi spoked rims, just doesn;t look good to my eye and the 7 spokers are a nice design barring the colour.

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Good for you. Don't let mainstream insurers bs you and just because you're young, doesn't automatically mean everybody knows better. A lot of people don't.

As I said before, you've a solid base there and you should enjoy it as much as you can :)

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Its been a couple of months but I did eventually get my insurance down to £1400 which is cheaper all of my friends so im happy!

I also decided to ditch the BK wheels in favour of some RH Cups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How it should look when its on coilovers, minus the pedro bear and 'private plate'

Last edited: 22 Mar 2011
  16. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

WIN!

17. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Black BBS Type lattice. I had something like that on a G40 Polo in the 90's. The best go faster mod is weight reduction, often, free, shouldn't invalidate your insurance.

Once, Endsleigh insurance quoted me £400 more if I fitted a roll cage to my mini. That is like instantly giving you jobseekers allowance because you logged into fish4jobs. Or maternity leave if you buy some nodders.

18. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Don't forget to do your calipers. The following look particularly fetching...

[​IMG]

19. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I heard such mod adds 5-10bhp!

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Rollcages add more, as they believe you will push a car much further, and if the metal is bare, and you bash your head you're going to be knocked stupid.