1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Congresswoman critical after nutter gun man lets rip at political event

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 8 Jan 2011.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

What is it with assassins and the name Lee...

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'd like to ask that the thread title be changed. She survived. Also, at this point we no evidence that it was an assassination. It could just have been a crazy guy out to kill people.

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

At the same Time I'd like to ask for a couple of crumpets with butter and a large cup of tea :)

Forget the tea the Gf is making one. I still need the crumpets though :(

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

How is Obama doing a **** job? He has already fulfilled more than half of his campaign pledges.

In recent history he is actually one of the most successful US presidents in terms of objectives achieved. If the US population didn't want him to achieve what he set out to do then why was he voted in?

As for this thread, there is no proof it was an assassination attempt and the Congresswoman is alive thank god, though in a critical condition

6. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Indeed, it's quite disturbing that almost immediately the political left, the political right and as you say some Pakistanis and Muslims jumped on this news as propaganda.

7. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Hey! Palin would make a GREAT president!!1exclamationmark!1!1 After all, america has to help their north korean allies.......

Back on topic....I see she's in intensive care ATM. Hopefully, she survives.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think it's quite funny how a lot of politicians and reporters here are suddenly going: "Damn! Pakistan's actually got quite a lot of extremist sentiments, really...". Yeah, well Duh! Have these people been living on the same planet as the rest of us?

As for Jared Lee Loughner (and yeah, what is it with assassins always having a middle name, and Lee always being in there somewhere... Forget about "Mohammed". Hillbilly names is what we should worth about) I agree with Furymouse: lunatic. Of the inadequate variety.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2011
  9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

=E yeah I heard her say that in a radio interview.. she is going to run but I don't think she'll be nominated (well hoping)

sad man.. I wish her and her family the best, and the others that were shot :grr: wth is wrong with some people.. not like he even knew this woman- what is the point? that kind of thing is beyond me.. he needs to be sent over for some bearded justice

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Off topic: I'm still not convinced Palin will run. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to sell books (or promote a new "reality" TV series - read: propaganda outlet), it's the winking nod at a White House bid without ever publicly committing to it. Look at her past, and look at the niche she's carved for herself. She gets paid very well to say whatever she wants whenever she wants, and because she's hired only to provide commentary she never has to take responsibility for her thoughts. If she was President she wouldn't get paid as much, wouldn't be able to say whatever she wants, and would have to think twice about posting things like a map with cross-hairs targeting select government officials.

She's the perfect fundraiser for the conservative right, so the Republican party won't let her get the nomination. In my opinion, the Tea Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of the conservative right of the Republican Party, so don't expect a Tea Party nomination for Sarah, either.

I'll refrain from commenting on the story at hand for the time being. The whole thing is still too early chaotic to trust any of the facts released at the moment.

11. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Off topic: What is it with American's saying Obama is to blame for the current situation in the US, that'd be the previous administration (not just Bush). They left a huge mess that is going to take a long time to clean up. Oh wait, it's not immediate....that'd be why.

On topic: Gun nuts....right to bear arms, it will bite you in the ass at times.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

kinda the same situation the UK is in :/

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Well, the façade of bipartisanship was fun for the 2 minutes it lasted. It seems all of the various parties are back to blaming each other for the gunman's actions. The sad thing is that they're all right to a point, but none of them will ever own up to their share of the responsibility.

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I don't know enough about the US government's state of mind. However, speaking to an American Cop who I play games with... it scares the crap out of me that people would kill because of a political idea in the US (especially after the JFK stuff years ago).

I feel sorry for the victims, their families and this congresswoman.

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

This isn't a time of mourning but of celebration of the rights and liberties given to each and every citizen, both young and old, rich and poor, by the Constitution of the United States of America.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Which one particularly? The right to bear arms?

...I'll get my coat...

17. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

yup, the second ammendment is basically about overthrowing unjust government by force.

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I hope you're being sarcastic.

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This is looking more and more like it was an apolitical act.

What's interesting is that so many of us (myself included) immediately assumed that it was politically motivated because we tend to see so many things through the "us vs them" lens.

While the causes appear not to have been political, the results may be, and I hope they are. I would very much like to see a decline in the anger and vitriol that so defines American politics today. In so many cases the ability to respectfully disagree has been lost. This act has brought this verbal violence into the public discussion and perhaps some good will come of it.

I understand that a lot of people are angry, though I have to admit that I'm not very clear as to what they're angry about. Some of it does make sense. The economy sucks, a lot of people are out of work, and things aren't going to get better quickly. What's interesting to me is the anger this is generating. Perhaps it's just my imperfect grasp on human nature, but both who's getting blamed and the intensity of the anger baffles me.

Some of it seems to be simple human resistance to change. There are significant social changes taking place in this country dealing with fundamental social structures such as the acceptance of gays and non-traditional family situations. We now have a very visible example of the changes in race relations that have taken place over the last century and a half, and we are also dealing with changes in the United State's role in the world. Personally, I like the direction most of these things are headed, but I understand that many people don't.

Still, given all that, the amount of anger, even hatred, that these changes are eliciting baffles me. :sigh:

No, he's not. That was indeed the intent of the second amendment and many, myself included, think it's a valid consideration today. I fully recognize that the level of gun violence in the US is related to the availability of firearms, but so far the populace seems to be willing to accept this level of violence as the price of maintaining the right to bear arms. Pick your battles, as it were.

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Using your right to arms, to try and throw over an elected government is the stupidest idea in the world. Your right to accept the level of violence ended a 9 year old girls life. A girl who was incidentally born on 9/11