1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Anyone tempted by a day one Sandybridge purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 3 Jan 2011.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I just phoned up scan and asked them when am I going to be able to buy a sandy bridge system, and in perticular will they have systemboards?

In said they will basicly have around 10 to 15 different types of systemboard, and the full range of sandy bridge CPU's and all matching memory.

Was told to check back "early next week".

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Depending on the final pricing of the i5-2500k i think i might take the plunge with a day one release (for the first time ever, im normally middle of the life buyer).

Overclockers have the Gigabyte UD3 at £112 which seems reasonable (assuming Gigabyte UEFI is ok?!) as i normally buy gigabyte.

I might also plump for a 6970/50 at the same time if i feel brave.

3. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

So now I have the difficult decision of scrapping my plans for an 8 liter overclocked 1155 gaming system, or go 1155 ITX without the overclocking. Any word if Z68 is going to have unlocked overclocking in the ITX fomat?

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I believe the NDA on the motherboards has been lifted - IE you can buy them. On Scan's website they have the mobos now listed. But they won't ship them until the 9th. The CPU's wont be listed or available for purchase until the 9th either.

5. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

He says -

Gigabyte currently offers unique patented dual bios technology which offers the end users many benefits. The two main features of the UEFI is that you are able to boot quicker and also 3Tb support for hard drives. It is already possible to overcome the 3Tb threshold on using the current Gigabyte dual bios and Gigabyte are working ways to make extra unique improvements the UEFI bios and will implement in the near future, when the technology is ready and tested.

I'll let you know when I hear more..! :)

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Love it :)

murraynt likes this.
  8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Very cleverly done, ain't it?

9. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

H67 boards don't overclock, where does this leave the ITX side of things?

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I would wait until Z68 at least. Overclocked with the ability to fully utilise the processor's enhanced media crunching capabilities sounds much better.

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Mine's not! She's still going strong and does everything except game. Win.

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

48 minutes after launch. Ordered Gigabyte P67A-UD4.

Am I a horrible person for choosing it over the Asus P8P67 Pro based solely on how uber-sexy it is? Probably. I gave up fancy EFI bios, firewire, bluetooth, 2 extra SATA 6gig ports, a USB3.0 PCI bracket, and a nicer I/O plate for an awesome matte black PCB with black everything.

Still gotta head to Microcenter to grab my 2500K, though. They have these ridiculous in-store discounts on Intel CPUs, so it is only $180 down from a regular price of $250. That's only 116 GBP.

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

$542 is all now that is between me and an i5 system. Curse you wallet and your lack of having $542 in it. Now to watch it on newegg like the OCD paranoid person I am.

14. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Not at all - it looks much better IMO too and gigabyte boards are generally pretty decent.

You sir make me feel sick.

;)

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Am in the same boat as Altron - but cannot make a decision to save my life.

Toss up between the Asus P8P67 Deluxe with all its fancy bits and improved power design or the Gigabyte UD4 with its vastly superior matt black looks but slightly less rich feature set. I did see a review or two where the deluxe OC's slightly better and am worried if I go for the UD4 I may regret it down the line...

The deluxe would be the max I am prepared to pay for the mobo - circa £180... but the UD4 would give a few more pennies to spend perhaps on bigger SSD :p

Lol what do do?!?

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm in the same boat. The UD4 is just so dam cool. :wallbash:
    But will the max overclock effect it? Are you going to push it to 5ghz or over?

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Initially planned a mid range 2500k build but after mulling it over and over have decided to take advantage of Scan finance and build a higher performance rig.

Looking at i7 2600k, 4GB Mushkin Redlines, EVGA GTX570, 128GB Crucial SSD, mobo and new case. Still undecided on the last two - always wanted a TJ07 but its a little too much, so am leaning towards a HAF X.

On the overclock, I had planned a WC setup but want to wait to see if WC has any real benefit on OC. Would love to see 5Ghz though :p

If the Deluxe was black it'd be on order now, am just sick of blue mobo's - thinking of a UD4 and see what it does, can always shift it on if it doesnt get where I want it too.

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Humm Tasty. The raven case is nice.

19. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Am having as much fun with the case as the mobo to be honest - one minute a HAF X, next an Obsidian, next a...

Raven is sexy can't believe I have overlooked it and can get a triple rad in the floor - mmmmm. Need to check how long the EVGA 570 is as that limits rad space if the card is too long.

Nice one though cheers :thumb:

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I don't think you can :(
    The FT02R is even better if you can afford it.