1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Anyone tempted by a day one Sandybridge purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 3 Jan 2011.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Because I have a nice case mod, and I will be looking at the insides.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

People tend to look at the screen instead into the computer usually :hehe:

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Jumped in on a day one purchase, already updated my sig.

Why the MSI board? Fits my needs, in my budget, my second choice after Gigabyte (wanted the EFI BIOS). And Bit did their overclocking article on the very similar GD55 so I have a handy guide, and they were obviously okay with its performance since no special mention was made.

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Screw that. I'm so pro that I can pwn n00bz all day without even looking at my monitor. I sit under the desk and stare at the side of the case.

In all seriousness, none of the P8P67 PRO features are that important to me. Third PCIe x16 slot? Nope. Firewire? Nope. EFI is the one nice thing, but that's just as much of a cosmetic difference as the physical mobo appearance. Do I want it to look purty when I go in the BIOS once to set things up, or do I want it to look purty when I open the case once to install it? I also have quite a fabulously beautiful case mod, if I do say so myself.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Huh, I could use a 3800 X2 :D (see sig)
    Though the 3700 is probably faster in single threaded stuff... (games)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what did you have before? got any overclocking results?

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just ordered. 8GB or DRR3 for 88 pounds isn't too bad :)

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Very tempted by their £438 2600K bundle.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

CPU + Memory Combos
    CPU + Memory + Motherboard Combos

what about most people who already have DDR3?

wait, it's here: Mix it.
    £401.99 for Asus P8P67 Pro + i7 2600K.

hum..... £200 for a sandybridge upgrade..... not worth it my head tells me....

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Just went though the whole process settling on...

2600K and P8P67 Pro bundle, 8GB Vengeance Ram, Corsair Obsidian 700D (will mod side panel at least) and an EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked... Decided on the Pro in the end as it is the best feature set for the money - head ruled heart!

Got to the finance page and realised haven't got any sodding ID with me at work - misses not answering phone either GRRRR! WIll have to wait till I get back home now!!!

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Stop tempting me with my own Sandybridge purchase!

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Do it, you know you wanna :D

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Finally got it ordered woohoo - have to wait for finance documents to sign though booo!

Changed the case for a TJ07 - always wanted one, even though there a lot of them around I still love the look, and a lot of scope for modding down the line.

Now for the worlds most impatient man to wait... :thumb:

15. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Thanks very much, was going to wait until the weekend to buy as my PC is at work at the minute and I won't have it home till then but you just saved me some money!

16. Cyber

Cyber What's a Dremel?

Judging by reviews and sutch i'm super tempte by a i5 2500K, Asus P8P67 PRO, Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz and a Corsair H50. Would certainly be an updrage from an Athlon 6000+ with stock cooling :D

17. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

@Cyber, that's exactly what I bought (minus the H50) but I chucked in another 4GB RAM as it so cheap! Happy days

18. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

Yes, shopping now for mine. Going for the i5 2500K and thinking about the GA-P67A-UD4 mobo. Can't find a decent review of that mobo though - anyone know if it's ok?

19. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

That's pretty much what I am aiming to get. I have the H50 waiting already. I'm not sure whether to go for the normal P8P67 or the Pro yet....I don't need SLI (as I only run 1680x1050 at the mo), but it's only about £20 more.

Now I just got to wait for Amazon to get the stock :wallbash:

I'd normally get hardware from Scan etc. but I have vouchers for Amazon which means all I can do is wait. Motherboards are out of stock, and no sign of the 2500k at all. :sigh:

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For Sandybridge? I haven't even gotten the MSI one from the postage yet! Just overeager about the sig :D

But my experience on other sockets and other people's PCs that I've been hands on with is that MSI has put out good products. I've never even seen an ASRock board before so they were out of the question (I've heard some good reviews, but nothing better than any other brand out there), ASUS has left a bad taste in my mouth. Two of my housemates were recommended ASUS boards for their machines and I'm not a fan of the quality on either. Gigabyte I have now for my 775 machine and quite like, even though it doesn't OC quite as high as the EVGA board before it (but also cost ~$70 less). Also built and OC'd a machine by request using a Gigabyte X58 UD3R and two Gigabyte GTX460s. Everything worked smoothly and even though one of the cards failed it was promptly replaced. But they have the boring old BIOS! And the MSI has a dual-BIOS which I like my Gigabyte board so much for! So MSI it was.

OT: Newegg has a little intro video on Youtube with an Intel rep talking about 1155 and P/H67. Kinda funny how much spin can be put into one video. Integrated graphics for mainstream gaming! Hah! This is why we end up with so many console gamers, they get lied to about performance then end up with a bad PC gaming experience. Also found it interesting how 1155 was frequently referred to as mainstream while 1366 was brought up as what enthusiasts should be buying. I'm sorry but no and no.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011