1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Worst purchase ever?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elton, 10 Jan 2011.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm just curious as to BT's worst hardware purchase ever made, that and i'm quite sure some amusing stories are to be had.

Mind would by me P4 2.8GHz Northwood and my X1550.

Why? The X1550 was $100 for god knows what reason, and it was merely an X1300 that was rebranded.

As for the P4, well...AMD was around when I purchased that.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

E6750 when the E8-series was already out. Then again, I NEEDED the CPU right then, and there was no word of the Wolfdale availability.

Can't really think of anything else.

EDIT: Oh and MSI K8N-Diamond. Crazy expensive motherboard for no apparent reason. Didn't even get the WLAN-version, as I choose the wrong from the list! (Right one would've set me back another 2 EUR)

Last edited: 10 Jan 2011
  3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Umm 8400Gs thinking i could game on it :sigh:
    It was soon replaced though :D

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My 9800GX2 was a flop, as at the time, nVidia's drivers didn't let you drive two displays and enable SLI, so I was stuck playing on half the card all the time...

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

9800GX2 on release, cost me £420 i think, regretted it the moment i orded, sent it back for refund 2 days after, got a 9800GTX instead and was much happier

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

honestly i think my worst purchases have always been when i have tried to save £20 here and there, i would be much better off just spending that little extra cash

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

a kyro 2 video card. ugh.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Pretty much every time I try to save money, I'd say. We all have those purchases though. If we're talking about bad decisions...probably my X1950 Pro. It was a choice between E4300 with X1950 Pro, or E2160 and 8800GTS. I picked the wrong choice...come to think of it, I don't even know why I did in the end.

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

My first PC purchase was the worst - Pentium had just come but still went and bought a 486 DX/4 100 as I thought Pentium would be overkill for a while. Cost me £700 and was worthless within a year as Pentiums rapidly went from p75's to p133's :wallbash:

Sensible Soccer ran flawlessy though lol!

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Yeah I remember when my parents bought a 486 machine for £1500. Damn CPUs advanced quickly then :)

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Same here and when you think about it, £1500 is a fair wedge considering it was around 15 years ago!

My worst purchase personally was a Wacom Intous 3 A4 when they first came out. Excellent bit of kit but I plugged it in, played with it for a few hours, then it sat on my desk for several years collecting dust. I still managed to sell it for most of what I paid for it though...

Other then that, I have wasted a bit of money on bad gaming mice quite some while ago when I was a bit more competitive about that sort of thing.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Xonar Essence STX

Not because it's a bad card, but because my needs changed a bit just a few weeks after I bought it.

I wanted something that sounded good, an it did, but as soon as I got more into music the card was waaay to slow to work as a input device for guitars. (And the ASIO drivers don't work very well)

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

And i thought i was spending alot on Sandy Bridge :hehe:

14. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

MSI p965 Platinum to go with my E6600. It refused to overclock what should have been a really nice processor. Unfortunately I waited about a year to try overclocking, so couldn't send it back either as it wasn't faulty, the mobo just sucked at overclocking.

15. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I believed a few forum sites when I bought my last laptop. The dumb thing I blieved was that integrated Intel GPUs were finally capable of playing current games... So I saved 200 bones over a similar model with less RAM but a high end Nvidia M unit... and couldn't play anything current except for peggle.

I did seriously get back into the classics though via GoG.com and fired up a lot of my MAME and NES library, so it wasn't a total wash. It sure made Iraqistan a lot less enjoyable not having current gen titles though.

16. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Would have to be an Nvidia FX5950 Ultra which was massively overpriced and thoroughly trounced when the 6800 and ATI's X800 range were released a few months later.

It's now one of the main reasons why I'm not an early adopter and stick with the mid range.

It's all coming back to me; I replaced the 5950 with a 6800 which was killed a few weeks later when one of the nylon clips on my wc loop cracked and leaked fluid all over it, killing it.

That was replaced with a X800, not sure why I didn't just get another 6800.

Anyway that was an expensive month.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011
  17. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

nVidia 8600 GT passive cooled. Never going that road again.

18. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

I paid £1000 for an SLI set up from Cyberpower as my 1st gaming rig.

This was about 5 years ago and featured 2 7600gt's
    Im not saying this was a bad set up (was awesome at the time) just i wasted my money by not realising it wasn't even running in sli mode for 2 years. Sold the complete system for £300 after that and went for the 8800GT which was awesome

19. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Have to be my last computer. I had a cheap-ass generic PSU, an athlon x2 something am2, some foxconn s*** mobo that couldn't oc at all, a radeon 4650, some other stuff. The worst bit is I tried to revive this f***ing s*** by getting a 'decent' PSU (blew up in my face about a week or two ago), the Lian Li Silent Force 650w, Titan Fenrir (that was one good choice) , an XFX 5830 (this was about 2 months before the GTX 460 came out) and I didn't get a new case. When the parts arrived The PSU and GPU didn't fit. I had to get a bigger cheap-s*** case (the NZXT Lexa, pure pain in the arse). A couple of months later, replaced with an i3 System. I actually struck lucky and got a batch that can (with persistent fiddling) hit 4.7GHz on air, although the temps are worrying.

20. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Buying an Nvidia 8800gt when i already had an 8800gts 640:blush