1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li PC-V1020 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jan 2011.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the effort! I've been poring over the pictures over on the Lian-Li PC-V1020 product site as well. Still, there's only so much you can learn from pictures.

2. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

They've ruined the V-series Imho. :-(

3. ehume

ehume What's a Dremel?

This is the kind of data that is very important.

How about measuring the distance behind the mb tray and reporting it? Ditto the mb tray cpu cutout.

Overall, though, a nice review. I always appreciate the temp comparisons. Too bad that Lian Li falls prey to the airflow orthodoxy, where air flows from front and low to back and high. With the top fan located so far rearward you cannot use it for an intake. A top intake brings fresh, cooler air to the heatsink. A case designed like this one brings air to the cooler only after it has been warmed by the HD's and the mb components. Now which part of a system is more in need of fresh air? The mb? Or the heatsink? This is an expensive dinosaur of a case.

4. ooey

ooey What's a Dremel?

Just picked the PC-8FIR from aria for £88 (brand new on their super special web deals). An absolute bargain! iT SEEMS TO BE BASICALLY THE SAME CASE AS THIS. Normally they sell them for about £115. No one except an idiot would have paid over £200 for it i'm sure...

So how would you rate THE PC-8FIR at under £100 then?
    I'd say value 8/10
    and overall 9/10.

Features only 6/10 (are you kidding? - its one of the few to have 2 top-accessible usb3 ports)?
    At least features 7/10.

Also, the psu can suck in air from the bottom of the case, as there are slits in it and it sits on legs.

5. ooey

ooey What's a Dremel?

Following on from the above, if you just stick a roof fan in the PC-8FIR then im sure you'd get about the same cooling as this case provides.

6. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I response to the wheels, I have a v1000, and you can remove the wheels from the inside of the case via screws, I notice Lian li make feet that will fit many of their cases (saw them on overclockers for 4.99). Hope this helps....

azrael- likes this.
  7. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Anyone got and able to confirm if a Thermaltake Frio will fit in the V1020?

Thanks

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks a lot.

I know you can remove the wheels and I know you can buy case feet in several (ok, two) sizes from Lian-L. I just don't know if they're meant to be compatible with the V-Series cases. As I'm not much of a modder I'd like to know if they are instead of ending up ruining an expensive case. :)

9. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Right, I had a look at the case once I got back to work (that was me who posted earlier but on a friends account by mistake). Sorry its taken so long to post a reply - manic week.

Essentially the 1020 is compatible with Lian Li feet. I even took some feet off another Lian Li case we had lying around to make sure.

The foot

[​IMG]

The case it came off

[​IMG]

It attatched to the 1020

[​IMG]

The two holes on the right are where the wheels were screwed too. The left hand hole is the screw hole for the foot and the smaller hole (to the right of it without a thread) is for the plastic prong part of the foot that stops it rotating.

[​IMG]

Most Lian Li cases come with a little mini catalogue of the extras they do, you should be able to pick any of the feet listed on there, all should fit.

[​IMG]

Fingers66 and M7ck like this.
  10. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Hope that helps make you certain about whether you want to buy the case or not

azrael- likes this.
  11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Wow, +rep for going beyond the call of duty there Material, well done sir!

Material likes this.
  12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks a lot! That was exactly the information I was looking for. Funny thing is, Lian-Li often have a page/tab on the respective product page listing optional accessories. The PC-V102 has one too. Alas, it only lists a cooling kit and as much as I love Lian-Li, their cases are just a bit too expensive to buy on a whim. :)

As it stands (no pun intended :)) I could very much see a PC-V1020 in my immediate future...

Material likes this.
  13. ColdMist

ColdMist I own a Dremel. Do you?

Not sure if this has already been answered or not. I have this case now. The wheels are held onto the bottom of the case by 2 screws. You can easily remove the screws and replace them with other feet.

Cheers.

(oops, I didn't see all the pics on the 3rd page.)

azrael- likes this.
  14. ColdMist

ColdMist I own a Dremel. Do you?

I have a PC-V1100 case that I really liked, although it has some issues with cabling, etc. I bought this case (I love the Aluminum cases). I had a 2x120mm rad in the top of the PC-V1100 that worked out ok, and wanted to do the same with this case.

Word of warning: It was a lot of work, and I don't recommend it for those not wanting to really get into the cutting spirit. The aluminum box that holds the 140mm fan to the roof is nasty to deal with. Cutting through the hole pattern on the top was not too bad, but cutting holes for the bolts to go through was a task.

I'll try to take some pics and put them up somewhere, to show other people what I did.

I don't recommend this case, if you want to put a rad on top. Much more difficult than most cases, even when I had planned for a tough job.

But, it's a beautiful case, and the slide-out mboard tray makes building the PC a fun thing to do, instead of working inside a box.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the effort. Repped! :)

16. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

stunning looking case, always liked the lian-li stuff but it always seems to be just out of my price range when i go for a new case

17. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Scan is selling these for £168.97 ex VAT, £202.76 inc VAT at the moment; this price is *much* less than the stated review price.

Tags: Add Tags