1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Looking most excellent my friend!

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks a lot :) Btw.. its ben a while since your last update. I'm eagerly waiting for your next update.

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Got some more work done in the workshop this weekend. First off I had to make another one of the heatpipeblocks I made last update since I failed on one of them. So now I finally have two. And later on you'll se some drilling of the backplate.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The following photas are just to test the alignment of the different parts. Nothing is screwed tight at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I read in Hannes thread here on the forums that he had used a monitor as lighting. I had to give it a shot and here's my litle attempt at making a new photobooth. My computer monitors are mounted on swiwel arms and I just rotated them 90 degrees and displayed some white background and woohoo all those nasty shadows are gone. Works pretty good for these smaller pieces atleast.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Also played around a bit with some colors in the CAD program and this is how the cooler most likely will look like in the end.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Hope you like it

4. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

SO COOL

5. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This is looking too sweet. I never thought of the monitor idea. Very original. I finally broke down and bought two softboxes off of Ebay to use for taking pics. I may still pick up a smaller light tent for stuff like this.

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks. I would like some real softboxes/tent aswell since the monitors aint that superbright. But I think my weakest link is my cam at the moment since Im still using an old compact cam.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Crazy awesome :rock::jawdrop::thumb:.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

thanks a lot:thumb:

9. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

I think i want one :) this case is going to be sweet and i cant wait to see its done :D

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks man, but I'm sorry, you won't be getting this one :D

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I don't think you should have colours, the clean, smooth look is way too cool to not keep.

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

No colours? Then I don't think it'll be obvious that it's a mushroom. It would more look like..uhm.. a bunch of cubes.

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Time to show what has been done lately. All the 20 heatsink parts need to be mounted on to the heatsink plate. Therefore I need to drill holes in each piece an also thread these holes manually. As you might guess this took a while since there is more than 50 holes, and since this procedure is pretty repetitive I cut down on the action pictures.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

It feels really go to be able to start mounting stuff even though this is only a testmount to check the alignment of the holes. Here you can see the mushroom outline and all the "spots" mounted using M3 hex screws.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The rest of the parts mounted aswell. Note that the parts are not aligned perfectly since this is only a test, and some of the cubes might look out of place.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

You might have noticed that the heatpipes are mounted in this last picture. I will show you that in the next update since there is still some more work to be done on the backside. *off to dig some 8-bit tunes*

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

It really looks like you're building some kind of a satellite death ray device! I must confess I'm trying to skip all the text in your build. Just watching the pics unfold is sending nice jolts down my spine. What will he do next?

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That's a lot of tapping especially in thick alu :dremel:, shame white anodising can't be done but it could look great polished up or even just silver anodise, still really looking forward to seeing the finished piece & it would have to be the coolest looking heatsink ever :thumb::clap:.

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Satellite deathray device... sorry to tell you, but that project is on hold since I'm still having some funding issues ;)

Nice to hear you like the moment of surprise, since that is kind of the plan. Att first I intended to show some proper sketches and renders of the finsihed piece, but decided not to since I guess It might have ruined some of the fun.

thanks :thumb: Actually as far as I know a close to white anodizing can be done using oxalic acid instead of the sulfuric acid. However I think the grey/silver natural anodized color will look god so I'll stick to that.

17. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

this looks really awesome !
    i still don't understand how the rest of the case is going to look like though :worries:

18. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This is looking awesome. Very nice work.

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

thanks...well since the rest of the case is not suposed to be seen it will not be as eye catching as the heatsink but I hope there is no reason to worry.

Thank you very much der woodmeister

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I still stand by my choice of no colour, but this looks great. Non nom nom.