1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First STALKER 2 details emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

Wicked, been a massive fan of the STALKER franchise! Cant wait to see this. hopefully not as buggy as the past versions!

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'm hope they're right in saying the PC version won't suffer as a result of the gaming being multi-platform.

4. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

as its multi-platform and most certainly a bigger budget will be required. This means *fingers crossed*

a larger percentage of bugs that plagued the first games will be ironed out due to larger financial backing and

the console companies issues with patching multiple times.

5. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

I want co-op in that game

6. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

+1

It definitely needs a co-op mode.

7. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

What is about that the word 'multiplatform' that makes me wanna sit in a corner and sulk...

8. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Except your wrong because Call of pripyat was one of the most stable and big free games the year it came out, it makes Fallout and others look like crap.

Also, console companies issuing patches ? LMAO, are you serious? Stalker had 9 patches, not all for bugs mind you. Consoles if anything limit most games to 1-2 patches. They are more tightly controlled if anything, sometimes thats good, sometimes bad. Also, multi-plat means squat when it comes to bugs, see fallout, mlb 2k, etc......

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

IIRC, one of the main reasons why multiplatform console games don't have a lot of patches is because Microsoft charge the dev/pub if they release more than one. Which isn't exactly conducive to fixing games if they're broken. I'm not sure if Sony do the same.

The days of console games being bug-free (or close to it) are long gone - they were becoming buggier in the PS2/XBox/GC days (some nasty savegame bugs in some of the later Tony Hawks games) but as soon as consoles gained the ability - nay, nearly the requirement - for internet connections, the QC dropped like a rock.

Call of Pripyat was stable in the release the UK received because it was version 1.6.0.2 - the original release in Russia was apparently extremely buggy.

10. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

The russian relase was not extremely buggy either, I am a regular on the stalker forums. It had a few , but not many, was more bug free and stable then most major multi-plat titles.

11. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

ooh, so long as it`s not tailored to consoles.

12. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

How about, design it for PC and then just set all the settings to "Ultra Low" on the console versions?

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Doesn't account for the different UI though. Gamepads are not KB and mouse.

Isn't the PS3 supposed to be a b!tch to program for?

EDIT: Still waiting for a Stalker MMO

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011
  14. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Another one bites the dust.

To be honest, this is one of the few games that gets multi-platformed that I can imagine still retaining most of what makes it good. Call of Pripyat was too good for me to assume otherwise. I hope so anyway.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well some multi-platform games are indeed decent enough. Let's hope this one is.

16. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

All hail the dawn of the new era! The C-consciousness beckons... wait, no factions? Okay, can the role-play.

If I could reach the Wish-Granter, I would wish for a stable game. It took most of last year for the GPU market to offer cards that would play CoP at decent settings/frames/resolution, and even longer for CS to be playable. Hopefully, they have learned and have the ability to fix the issues that made my now-favorite series such a headache sometimes. I mean, I really wanted to turn my Vintar into my mouth and pull the trigger. How can such extasy come with such agony?

I'm super excited about this, but I'm also watching with a wary eye given the franchise's track record.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Has a vision of you being crushed to death by a falling mass of video cards.

18. ForumNameHere

ForumNameHere What's a Dremel?

It's funny how developers/producers automatically understand that "multiplatform" automatically means it'll be crap for the PC. So much so that the issue is addresses prior to it being officially raised. The dollar signs (or insert appropriate currency here) are just to big for it to matter. Omelets and eggs, ya know?

19. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Im glad to hear they are making another Stalker game, I'm very partial to its story and backdrop so I'm excited to see what happens, however I will say that I had to wait years to play the 1st game as It didnt work on any machine I have owned or had access to.
    I only finished it towards the end of last year thanks to my huge new system and now Call of Pripyat gives me grief. I had the original disk for the 1st game and made good in the Steam sale by buying the Stalker bundle, Despite my high end specs I cant get this game to look or play to any decent standard so I gave up on it. The only good thing i can see coming from it appearing on multiple platforms is that it might be a bit more stable. However I have no confidence in the length of the new game being as consoles have too many limitations in terms of data restriction.

Tags: Add Tags