1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Lovely! Thanks! :thumb:

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Anyone got a Silverstone Sugo 05 modeled allready?

Doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but the measurements should be somewhat correct.

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Just added Cronicash's model.

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Does anyone know how one can change the two colors of the default material that represent the front side and back side of a face to two more distinguishable colors like red and green? I find it extremely hard to tell them appart at times.

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Window->Styles->Edit->Face Settings(not a tab, but 5 cubes immediately under the tab)->Front Colour/Back Colour are both there.

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  6. Aterius Gmork

Ahh cool thx.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As I got nothing really to do today I spend the better part to model a Sugo SG05.
    It's not 100% accurate as I modeled it based on tons of pictures I found in reviews and the Silverstone-homepage.
    The file got rather big because I went a bit far with the details :D

14.6MB hosted temporarily on MediaFire until jezmck has it processed.

[​IMG]

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Thank you sir :thumb:

10. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Beautiful! Thanks:rock:

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

@cronicash: I've cropped and resized the preview image you submitted and added the item, but can you reduce the filesize at all? 15mb seems a lot for a low-poly model.

http://scc.jezmckean.com/item/493

12. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Cronicash, you need use components for the bits which are the same.

13. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

Make them components then. Not bothered...

Average working files are over 60mb averagely for me, bit hard to have more detail whilst keeping the poly count down....

14. Aterius Gmork

The H55N-USB3 is no low-poly model. Every corner is rounded, every pin modeled and everything. 15 mb are okay.

However the model is unusable as it is, unfortunately. The board itself is rotated slightly, way to big and almost no dimension is correct. Also the added paper on the side and the background will add to the filesize as well while being and annoyance for anyone using the model to plan his build. It seems as if cronicash wanted to create a model to be exported and then rendered (a task in which he succeded, obviously) and then just uploaded it to the collection. Unfortunately that is not the purpose of the SCC.

Shame, the ammount of detail is awesome.

EDIT: Doh, you're talking about the pump. :duh: Still, the issue is there...

15. cronicash

Unusable for what? Rescale & rotation is easy.... Every corner rounded yes for rendering (my initial intention)...
    People asked for it so i put it on. Bet i could find heaps wrong with other models :wallbash:
    Says high detail so you did know ( i believe there is a low poly version on there too)... I dont make models to spoon feed people that cannot manipulate the models to their desire...

AKA they're talking about the pump. If you look at the render the vertex smoothing still shows flats instead of curves....

Last edited: 13 Jan 2011
  16. Aterius Gmork

The rounded corners and the ammount of detail is great. What I meant is that the file size is just fine for the ammount of detail.

But the size is not right, and the board is rotated. While easy to fix for most people these problems should be fixed before the model is uploaded, as they are no little mistakes, but quite serious flaws imo. Most models can be imported into your virtual build and used as a rough estimation as they are. That's the point of the collection. Complaining about that isn't exactly asking to be spoon fed, especially as the problems are so easy to fix.

17. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

If you wish to create work for yourself then that is fine, one of the main reasons for using components is to cut down on the work you do (and of course file size). Take the four bolts, each one is a group, if you needed to alter them, then you would have to alter all of them. If it was a component you alter one and all of them alter.

Same goes for your two pumps in your drawing, alter one the other stays the same so you then have to alter that if you want it identical. If they are identical then you may as well use components, simple.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if you don't wish to learn, I'm just trying to be helpful.

18. cronicash

If you were smart you would just alter one (then make it a component if you want) then use it to replace the others in position. I couldnt be bothered tbh. It is what it is. Someone asked for it so i put it up. If it isint up to some unknown spec then dont download it or add it to scc. Theres allot of poor models on there. My stuff is as is where is, was not intended to add to the scc. I dont use components too often as with rendering, each bolt in real life would be slightly different with imperfections. Plus im lazy. Surprised i even added it to begin with (sorry)....

Thanks for the components 101:duh:

19. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

wow... can't you take some suggestions and criticism ? :blah:

20. cronicash

I kinda thought people would already assume its not what most would want, just kinda get tired of peeps stating the obvious. Cant make everyone happy. I could go on a criticizing rant and call it constructive, but im sure it would annoy most cause my personal preference for models is quite diff. I say peeps models are nice when they are and help when they ask. We all have different methods and reasons for them. If i didn't know the models were too higher poly and not to scale then I would'nt put "not to scale & large file" in the comments. Nice to have people reiterate that to me...
    Im sure if I tried to teach you guys how to suck eggs you wouldn't really appreciate it either....

Last edited: 13 Jan 2011