1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

@Razer2007,
    @Trance,
    @GuilleAcoustic,
    @ixmatal,
    @Roboduck

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :thumb: I still have a lot to learn though!

I used rectangular lights. Should I be using IES lights? Lol... something I'll have to look into I guess.

The window isn't in this version yet because I didn't want to bog down the file with a bunch of large components while I'm working on it, so there's nothing much to see inside right now anyway.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

My computer just kneeled yesterday. Tried to make a perforated top with many holes .... and I just got a "not responding" when I tried to extrude it :sigh:

My GPU died a few month ago, and didn't have to money to replace it ... the integrated GF9300 doesn't help with high poly model.

Keep watching, the external design is incoming.

I have a question to ask you all. Do you think I should keep supporting SR-2 mobo ? Or should I shrink down the since and "only" support up to E-ATX modo ? TYAN, for exemple make E-ATX mobo that supports dual XEON and 7 PCI-e (8x) if people really needs up to 12 cores (but I think it's kind of useless, except for heavy CPU computing like maya or lightwave).

EDIT : by leaving SR2 support, I could shrink from 112L to 78L (350mm x 350mm x 640mm). I think it's worth the try ; )

EDIT 2 : just an attempt to shrink down the case and a sneek preview of the external design. I'll add detail and vents / window. Keep in mind this is just a first try. The white box has the dimensions of a TJ07 (thus you'll have a betetr idea of the my case dimensions)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a try of case feet design. I'l work on it to make it easy to build.

[​IMG]

Any comments are welcomed. Just to mention it, the case is 78 L and support E-ATX board.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Maybe I should make an appearance again. Everything is going kinda well.

I don't think SR2 support is necessary, but maybe XL-ATX.

@ subtec:

Rectangular lights?do you like, just insert it and move it where you want ti, and edit the intensity? Or do you load a file, like IES lights?

That is VRay right?

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Rectangular lights in V-Ray works best imho. I usually use 3 of them to light up a scene. A big one to cover the whole scene and two smaller ones to get rid of (smoothen) unwanted shadows or to highlight a part.
    Oh, and I allways turn off global lights.

IES- and spot-lights are only good for architectural stuff, to realistically light up a room etc.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  5. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I like the new changes. The new feet look great to!

As promised here is the 5x HDD drive bay (with vibration dampeners). It's a tight but it fits! :dremel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Razer2007

@ JRS: oh ok. thank you. I'm trying it now, and I'm getting good results. might put on 3d render thread later. :)

@ Roboduck: WOW. You stuff is always wow. Nice work. Is there still space between HDD's for ait to move through?

7. SnowyOwl

SnowyOwl What's a Dremel?

Hummmmm.....maybe black would be nice...wa do ya think ? Lot of nice case are black not very original but....it does look mean.

[​IMG]

@Roboduck : the space between you drive bay and the Hd look tight for all those fragile sata cable.

@GuilleAcoustic : I think supporting SR2 is nice it's a feature not many case here have. As for who or what will be needing this mobo who knows...all the case in this competition wont be cheap because of the low production.

@Subtec : don't appologize for your render that thing looks sooooo real:jawdrop:

@ Combatus : Why didn't you post up the stage 2 on bit-tech front page ?

8. Razer2007

Snowy Owl, The black looks cool, but I prefer the white. I also don't like the screen. The exterior of your design was better. Sorry :)

I know it's not nice to hear that the new thing you just added isn't as good. That's why I removed the camel hump on my case :)

Yeeeah? It would mean more views and possibly more feedback! :D

9. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

SnowyOwl - wow, that black comes across way strong, I would say that it takes away from the actual design of the case itself, it is harder to perceive the overall details, To me it was more appealing in white

Guile - as the style of your design comes together it is looking much better, and the feet are a cool idea, be careful with complex curves in SketchUp it can be a real problem - I am finding out the hard way :sigh:

Roboduck - nice change on the drive cage, but you are way too fast on those updates and renders :lol: - what hardware are you using for renders!? and is that vray or maxwell?

10. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

So I hear the new Feser Admirals are modular... quintuple rads anyone?

[​IMG]

Up to 575 x 220 x 655 (HxWxD)/83 liters with the top compartment expanded for sideways mounted rads.

Original for comparison:

[​IMG]

Not sure how i feel about it. I think it makes the front panels look a little disproportionate. Definitely screams "water cooling" though.

Opinions?

11. Razer2007

WOW, I LOVE it! do you get rads like that?

You have a beautiful design. LOL I don't think there much I can do to compete against you and Ducky. Design-wise.

12. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I don't even water cool, lol (shh... don't tell anyone)... I just design cases for gits and shiggles.

But yeah, those Admirals look interesting. I could imagine their modularity being a strong selling point for niche builds where you might want a non-standard rad size. But OTOH, their performance is a big question mark right now and if it's significantly less than similar rads it's going to be bad for Feser. Make-or-break time for them really.

13. Razer2007

LOL me neither. never touched watercooling in my life.

I got rid of the camel hump, and put the DVD drive there next to the rad. I also put in a fan filter that you can pull out there at the bottom. I still need to make a decant mechanism for that.

[​IMG]

14. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I'm not sure I understand how that works. Shouldn't the fan filter be in front of the front fans? The way you have it it looks like the filter would be along the bottom and slide out the front.

Does your design have any 5.25" bays right now? Have you explored maybe dropping to a quad+triple rad setup and using the space on one side for a couple of 5.25" bays? You could make it an optional set up with a removable cage and ventilated bay covers so you could still have a pair of quad rads there. Just thinking there's probably still a lot of people that would want to have that option.

15. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

@GuilleAcoustic

Reminds me of a bigger version of the Silverstone FT03. I could see some people going for that.

Based on the footprint and overall layout, dropping SR-2 support is probably a good idea.

I think for a case like that I'd actually prefer casters. I'm not sure why that is, exactly. It just seems like something that should be rolled around, lol. Maybe because it seems like it would be harder to move otherwise.

16. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Arg! Everytime I try work on my design something happens.. PC overheats, crashes or just laggggggs. Or I have to get something else done urgently. Deadline is coming wayyy too fast!

17. Razer2007

The filter is in front of the fans :/

I'll see what I can do for the optical drives.

That's a pity. do you think you'll be able to get it done?

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

No idea Razer.. My time's kinda booked out over the next few weeks but I shall try. Will get my quadcore opty beast downstairs rendering overnight at some point.

Here's a SU based update:
    [​IMG]

19. Razer2007

Good to see you got some work done.

And now, for the most popular question in this thread: Optical drives?

And also, got a good exhaust or vents to get the hot air from the rads through and out?

20. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

The top and front of the case is just a grille, this is a very open design.

Optical? Who uses those these days? (Will be a laptop style one somewhere)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.