1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 hacker defends console jailbreak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Jan 2011.

1. BabyJhonny

BabyJhonny What's a Dremel?

and then he wonders why he gets cought, he shouldent tell other people about it lol

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Once you buy something it's yours to do with as you please. Companys shouldn't be allowed to dictate what we do with our own belongings (they can try but they will fail). Good luck to him.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You know that all of this was around before this recently announced hack, right?

It is possible for atleast a year to play copied games on the PS3 with a USB-dongle.

Nevertheless, it's still our own decision, what we do with our legally bought hardware. Hotz didn't copy, used, sold or bought any pirated software, but only tweaked his hardware to run Linux on it in the first place.

If Sony want to protect their software, then they should do it by copy-protection-stuff like DRM or online-activation etc.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Great example, and great snack suggestion! :D

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I'm aware this stuff was around before the recent hack. However I believe the removal of the OtherOS option from the PS3 was itself a response to Hotz initial hacking of the PS3 in the first place through the OtherOS abilities at the time.

I understand that we all purchased this hardware thus it is ours to do with as we please. However that doesn't mean that just because I purchased my Ipod, I am within my legal right to circumvent the DRM and iTunes by way of illegally torrented CDs downloaded and synced to my Ipod. Just because I OWN my Ipod, does not make it legal for me to side load games downloaded from the thousands of websites that offer paid app store games/apps for free after I jailbrake it (and lets be honest. Jailbraking is mainly for accessing App Stores other than Apple's).

I fully support Hotz desire to hack the PS3 for his own curiosity and hobby, however, releasing the encryption keys and thus fostering the community of so called "Homebrew" it is once again allowing the circumvention of Sony's already in place DRM setup to prevent piracy. I'm not saying that the homebrew community is nothing but piracy, but piracy (as I have seen) tends to hide behind the legitimate homebrew community. Doom for PSP/PS3/IPhone is not Homebrew just because you throw the word Homebrew infront of it after you port it (And yes Doom was ported to the PS3 to be run as homebrew under the OtherOS function). Piracy is still piracy, and Sony would rather close the door to legit homebrew than allow further piracy by the community claiming to be homebrew. I see nothing wrong with it as I can't imagine that you, or anyone else in this thread would like the idea of their game (if you were a developer) being backup to one person's PS3, copied to USB, uploaded to another PS3, and launched. All done within the OtherOS function.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Pirating software or media is bad, I agree with that, but if I'm not pirating anything by hacking my hardware, then why sholudn't I be allowed to do so?
    As said many times allready, Hotz won his case against Apple on the topic of jailbreaking the iPhone, which is basically exactly the same.

You have to draw a hard line between hacking hardware to use it as you want and between pirating software/media.
    They're not automatically tied together like you want to make everyone believe there, but they have to be investigated apart from each other.
    You're not automatically driving too fast breaking the speedlimit, just because you chip-tuned your car either.

As for circumventing DRM on your iPod...
    In most european countries (UK is not one of them surprisingly ^^) anyone is allowed to make a private copy of a copyrighted material for oneself, and the source copy does not even have to be legal. Making copies for other people, however, is forbidden if done for profit.

7. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Actually we ALL should sue $ony for provides us an INSECURE device in first place !

Since they AD all over the place that **** was secure.

8. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

No people having ANY say so in what mods I can do on my legally bought hardware ... not on my truck, not on my PC (can you imagine??? ... you can't run such & such operating system, you cant run such & such companies graphics cards )
    This shouldn't be any different

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

If you can't jailbreak a PS3, then I say you can't volt-mod, overclock or mod a pc in any way as this clearly violates the original intention of the hardware manufacturer, and we should surely all bow to the intentions of amoral corporations as they obviously know better than we how to best use products within our own home.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

To continue the breadmaker analogy, this would be the equivalent of the company selling the bread making machine at a loss and trying to make it up on overpriced packets of mix. In this case Sony is trying to sue someone for making bread from someone else's mix in their machine, or for figuring out their recipe and making your own mix based on it. in either case, it's MY machine and I'll make whatever bread I want with it.

And since this is such an excellent analogy, you should all bake me some nice doughy sourdough and send it to me :lol:

11. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

Consoles are turds anyways. The pace that desktop technology is going is far outpacing the slow and outdated console market. Just about everything about PC gaming is better than console gaming, and if you're over 16, there's really no need for consoles unless you wanna play console-only games, or just take a break from playing PC games. Despite claims that consoles are cheaper, sure, the systems may be cheaper, but you're also getting boned by being able to only buy ESRB/PEGI approved games, and when new releases are $60 a pop, it adds up quick, especially considering there's no staying power in buying console games. If you purchase content on Steam, you'll have it forever, and it won't be obsolete in 6-7 years, and not only that, you'll have access to third-party modders who keep the game alive through modding and what-not.

/offtopic rant

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol do go there mate or we'll get gamer24/7 or what ever he called himself back

13. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

why isnt the simple truth enough for people,
    why did he do it?
    for the chalange and bragging rights ofiously

besides there have alterations to the dcma so that backing up your own content isnt ilegal, this anoys sony and others but they cant do anything about it

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Kind of goes beyond the bread making analogy or car modding. It's well within anyone's right to mod their car, bake their own break, jailbreak their own systems, or mod their own PC. The problem is when said mod mainly supports illegal activity. Car shows, drag strips, official sanctioned races exist for the car mod community that fosters the true hobby. PC modding exists for people who like to personalize their computer, maximizing the power. Modding your PC (overclocking, aftermarket parts) does not enable or support the piracy that occurs. My video card, or CPU has nothing to do with my ability to go and torrent the latest PC release. However jailbreaking a console while well within anyone's right to do so as their hobby, mainly fosters the piracy that occurs. When one person, or a team cracks said console, they fulfill their hobby to do so. Nothing wrong with that. But when they release said methods of doing so to non-hobbyist majority of the time it leads to piracy of the video games on the console. I don't think anyone can honestly call a backup manager installed on their hacked PS3 with a backed up copy of Assassin's Creed II to be a "hobby".

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Faster cars lead to overspeeding just aswell, so it's exactly the same analogy actually.

Only because it's possible to pirate software with this hack doesn't make Hotz a pirate automatically.

If we generally rule anyone verdict, just beacuse he has the possibilities to do illegal stuff like pirating software, then every PC-owner worldwide is automatically guilty for pirating software.

16. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I'm seeing it differently. Like I said. His hacking of the PS3 is his own right. I'm not disputing his own personal hacking of the console. It's his releasing of it, knowingly to a public of "hobbyist" who mainly deals in piracy. You are right, as I have said, that it is our right to do as we please with our consoles. I'm just mainly disputing the idea that anyone doing such is now a "hobbyist" when most of the people who will use his hack, do so with intent to pirate console games. As depicted by the communities built around not only the PS3 hacks, but PSP, Dreamcast, and any other console.

Doesn't matter if your car is modded or not. The ability to speed is there. Hence modding doesn't automatically mean you have a desire to illegally street race. Modding your Honda, doesn't somehow allow you the ability to aquire an NSX free of charge. His hack, while great for the homebrew community will be overshadowed by the overwhelming pirate community. And Sony has to protect it's revenue.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

when you buy a ps3 or most modern consoles, and you agree to the terms and conditions associated with said console. you have agreed to a contract, if you then break the conditions to that contract, expect to be sued. Hotz has essentially broken the t&c by doing what he has done, so sony has the right to sue him.

if you dont agree with the t&c of something don't buy it, or if you bought it already, return it.

18. Meridicus

Meridicus What's a Dremel?

This guy is obviously technically gifted, instead of persecuting him, Sony should employ him to tighten-up their clearly flawed security.

Good luck to him, hopefully the judge will throw the case out.

19. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

The US courts have already thrown this argument out with phones. Let's also remember that Sony removed functionality from their product after you had purchased it, using their T&Cs for cover. I can't think of any other industry that tries to control what you do with a physical device once they've sold it to you.

20. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

But what if he used a hot crossed bun, a bun traditionally associated with toasting... what would sony do then lol?!?!

Tags: Add Tags