1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Android Owners: Hear my Cries

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jan 2011.

1. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Yes full root is needed, the guides on XDA are the best there is, they've never steered me wrong. I've a Desire HD myself and I had no issue rooting, s-off and then installing my own roms.

2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

For a nandroid backup you need to install clockwork, and the process of installing clockwork roots your phone, so you don't need to worry about rooting it separately. TBH i think a custom rom is the best thing to do :)

A nice rom to flash would be the cyanogenmod rom. Adds a lot of functionality :)

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You guys are hardcore. I'm too much of a ***** to root my Desire. The 4km long list of guides just discourage me

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This might sound stupid but is it not just a case of imaging an unbranded Desire HD? This all sounds rather complicated! :p

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

That's what I hoped it would be but I guess there are just too many different versions on the market or something

6. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

There are a lot of steps and before you do it it looks very daunting, but once you've done it you realise its actually quite simple.

To de brand, its easiest just to root or soft root (normally just install an app and reboot or press a button), then installing Titanium and uninstalling everything you don't want.

If you just want to load the image of a debranded stock phone, you have to go through the same preparatory steps as to load any other rom. Whatever the rom, you comy it to the SD card, reboot the phone into clockwork (just hold a button combination during boot) then select install from Zip - takes a minute or so to load the rom and then you reboot.

If you've got that far, you might as well install a custom rom, as they tend to be better in some way than the stock. normally optimised for speed, have added features (eg. cyanogen), are more stable, etc...

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

8. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I think it's the process of installing clockwork that the hard part ;)

Although, i should mention - theres a new, much easier method coming... i don't follow other phones much but for the orange SanFran (ZTE blade) people are starting to use total phone transfer (TPT), which gets rid of all the complex stuff, and just allows you to copy the file to your SD card, and boot into fastboot. It does the rest automatically, but this method overwrites everything on the phone, including bootloaders etc, so if something goes wrong, albeit rare, you could brick your phone, which is almost impossible with the clockwork method

9. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I had the same thing with my new orange San Fransisco, So much orange crud installed :(
    But all you have to do is install ClockWork Recovery and stick a nice clean version of 2.2 on the phone :)
    So Rom pre rooted, phone unlocked, no more orange stuff and upgrade from 2.1-2.2. win, win and cheesecake? :)

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Just a small note - most of the crap comes directly from HTC - Amazon MP3, Peep, Quickoffice, Reader, SoundHound were all part of the basic install.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't mean to hijack Gunsmith's thread and I only have a regular Desire anyway so I won't ask for help here.

It just seems so freaking complicated... and worth it. My phone keeps warning me it has low storage space left and it's getting very annoying.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I got full root earlier, now I'm reading up in installing clockwork. should hopefully have it all sorted by the end of the evening :)

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

update:

ClockworkMod is on and running. im assuming from this point on i can simply use it to flash whatever image i want onto?

update 2:

interesting, it seems everything ive used that's needed root is now crashing on startup. hmmm

update 3:

ie appears the uid's are incorrect due to the flash, no biggie.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2011
  14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

so many terms I don't know. That's the scariest part

15. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

1) did you take a backup first thing? (PLEASE SAY YES - although not the end of the world if you didn't)

2)whats crashing, and when? Is this on your old rom or a new one?

3) i'll admit i've never had to deal with UIDs (didn't even know what they were) until a quick google now... is this with a new rom? It looks like this often happens after you change your rom without wiping your data partition first...

Edit - Was update 3 to tell us its working again or another problem?

That reminds me - i really should have told you to back up apps that have data or settings you want to keep with titanium before installing a new rom - it makes the transition easier, and i don't really think about it anymore - hence forgetting to mention it. my bad :( sorry

an evenings googleing fixes that :)

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i havent changed the rom, all i did was install clockworkmod and reboot.

ive since cleared off the data partition and reloaded the original rom on and reinstalled what apps i was using, seems fine so far so.

cant decide what version of leeroid i want on.

17. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

from your post i thought it had messed up :p glad to know its working :)

in T.I backup, you can do a batch backup (menu button) - speeds things up.

as for leedroid... latest? :p

If your undecided, its pretty quick to load one, restore TI and give it a go, then do a backup incase you want to go back to it and try something else.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive thrown you a pm gryphon, go read.

ta

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

For future reference, the crashes you were getting after installing clockwork mod may have been fixed by doing the "fix permissions" in clockwork.

My process of updating a rom is. Titanium backup to backup the current state of my apps, I generally only backup user apps, as I have had a few issues when backing up system data and going between roms. Then do a nandroid backup from clockwork mod. Flash the new rom, restore your settings and apps from titanium, if all goes to hell, restore the entire phone back from the nandroid and it is like it never happened.

I quite often use Rom Manager as well to flash a new rom as it simplifies the process by booting in clockwork and can do restore and wipe for you.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeh i tried the fix permissions thing in clockwork, didnt do anything.

ive nothing to backup as the phone is <4 days old so ive no user data to care about (contacts are still on old phone.

so to clarify i just toss the zip for leedroid on the card, boot into clockworkmod recovery and whack "install zip from sdcard"?

just clarifying before hitting the "go" button

oh yeah, is there another way of accessing the clockwork recovery menu without doing it through mod manager? im just thinking incase the **** hits the fan