1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding@HomeAdditions

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by penryn 2 hertz, 17 Jan 2011.

1. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

hi i just started folding for custom pc and bit tech 4 days ago and im finding it to be very addictive to say the least checking my scores and points at 3 hour intervals and feeling so full of guilt when i stop my gpu cpu client's even finding myself looking through ebay for gpus and sli mobo's i have an old athlon 64x2 54000 2.8ghz and some new kingston hyper x ram 2gb ddr2 800mhz and i have a spare corsair tx650w so im going to buy an am2 sli mobo and 2 9800gt's for a dedicated folding pc so do you have a folding addition ???.:D

2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Welcome to the team I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun :thumb:

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Welcome to the team, loads of great people hrre that will be able to help with any questions. So post away!

4. paddi70

paddi70 What's a Dremel?

aaah, my friend this is where it all begins. Welcome fellow folding brother. May the fold be with you :rock:

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Welcome to the team.

Give me a shout if you're on the lookout for 9800GT's

6. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

Welcome to the team! :thumb:

I started in 2004 and didn't bother much about things in the early days, partly because there were not many active folders anyway. I guess I was spurred on to try harder after my mum died from breast cancer in Dec 2009. I find it very addictive and upload my stats to my personal webspace incessantly. I cannot compete (at the moment) with phoenicis or benniboyuk, but who knows! It's got to the point where I think that if I won the Lottery what would I build :blush:

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Conversly, I am actually losing interest in folding. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great cause, but I'm getting fed up of having lacklustre equipment to do it and feeling like I'm not even worth bothering with the hardware I do have.

As it stands, I'll probably end up running the hardware I do have until it breaks, then stop and move on.

8. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

[Tedious grown-up advice] Ah, well now, it's one of those things - if you put in a bit of effort, you'll get more out of it. [/Tedious grown-up advice]

... but I know what you mean. I've got to the stage where I no longer obsess over every little detail of the set up, and every point earned. The economics of folding 24/7 are beginning to take their toll, but having friends and relations with the diseases gives me a desire to continue by some means.

9. narwen

narwen narwen

Ph4lanx half million points a month. 110th in team in a couple of months top 100. thats pretty good going.:clap::clap::clap:

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

narwen, like I said, it's not that I don't think it's a good cause, but it's just that I'm outstripped on so many levels by other people with better hardware. Rather than the two machines of low spec I run now, I'd rather just one high-spec machine and let it run, but I can't afford to do that.

I did consider splitting apart my folding rigs, selling the parts and buying a single more powerful rig, but I just don't know.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Every little helps
    For ages I was just folding on a 4870, getting approx 3k PPD. Didn't stop me, it's both for a good cause, and nice to be part of such a good group of people :)

12. narwen

narwen narwen

Ph4lanx your still in the top 10% of producers.

13. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Welcome to the team mate, this is where it all starts, I started off with a pair of 9800GT's and now, well we wont go there but 6 rigs later and I still feel like I need to improve on hardware!

14. houch

houch Minimodder

it is very addictive, i had pushed me ps3 very hard over two years of folding and im still not happy. if i had the funds i would have so much better stuff <---which pisses me missis off , someone said about winning 10k and i started talking bout the pc id build she stopped me and said "i thought ud want to go back to disney" i was like "but id love a pc to fold on" lol

15. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

same here i spend all my time when bored trawling through the internet drooling at 980x's and SR-2 rigs, knowing full well i wont be able to afford one for at least 2-3 years :sigh:

16. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Don't give up Ph4lanx!! your PPD is much higher than mine. You and all the team members are making a valuable contribution to the science which is the main point after all.

The bar has been raised so high in terms of a 'top 20' finish of late that it is now completely out of my reach with the resources I can deploy (I may add a SandyBridge set up later this year however) :D

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Asus P8P67 + 2600K would be the sound basis for a folding rig and capable of crunching bigadvs.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Mm, SB can knock out crazy numbers with bigadv, 40k is probably doable without going mental on the volts.