1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I think this is clearly intended to be a competition to design an enthusiast case. "Water cooled case design contest" should tell you everything you need to know.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

My DvD drive died a year and a half ago .... and I just bought a new one last week to make some backup of pictures.

I've installed Linux and windows through USB drive. All linux distro and even windows 7 offer an utility to create bootable USB drive from iso files. Most games, software and OS can be bought online and downloaded.

There's still the question about LCD screens, bay res, fan controller, HDD racks.

Fan controllers and LCD are short devices. HDD racks are usefull only if you lack HDD native space / cooling. From what I see, every case here has HDD on rail with fan to cool them.

Optical ... I keep thinking they are perfect when external. This is not something you use everyday and it is really a big device. USB2 transfert rate won't impact the drive speed since they are slow from the beginning.

But I can trully understand the need of 5.25" devices ....

EDIT : Side vents and bay window attempt, which one do you prefer ?

Version 1 : Big window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 2 : Narrow window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both version have the same size, but version 1 feels shorter and wider, while the version 2 feels taller and narrower.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2011
  3. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I can see the argument for optical drives but I think the optical drive is on its way out. Everything is shifting away from physical media and Id rather be the one pushing the change than the one left behind. With the advent of products like Steam and Netflix, as well as the fact you can now install an OS from a flash drive, I think we will rapidly see a shift away from physical media. Just look at all the net-tops out there without disk drives. People are increasingly seeing the benifit of streaming media. As for the 5.25" drive bays, I think those will stick around but (hopefully) won't be limited to the traditional front mounted position.

Being that this will be a very short production run, Phobya doesn't stand to make a great deal of money off of these cases. Our shop does a lot of very short run (10-50) "prototype" parts that we often end up only making a small profit on or simply break even. The Idea is to get your foot in the door for larger more profitable projects.

In the end it all comes down to personal preference anyways. I am not looking to designing a case for Phobya to make a lot of money off of. I'm designing a case that I think should exist in the style that I like.

Just my thoughts. Thanks!

4. GuilleAcoustic

I have nothing to add ... and for backup, there are NAS. You got my vote roboduck, I like your design ! And I like Razer's one too, and same goes for Subtec's :D

I hope I made the right choice with my design. This is very different and not easy to configure for ease of use. I think I did not too bad, just made it the way I want it. Even if I don't go to 3rd phase, I think I'll build it for myself :)

5. Roboduck

Thanks!

I really like your design as well. Its unique and creative, and as long as its what you like then I say stick with it!

6. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, I appreciate :blush:. Which windows size do you prefer ? I was wondering if I should made an adjustable one. If the bottom part was slidable vertically, it would allow to adjust the window size. I'll give it a try tonight, with hardware installed.

7. Roboduck

I prefer the smaller window, but that just me. You may want to leave it without a window though. It already has a very clean look to it and if someone wants a window it would be very easy for them to mod the case to add their own. Just my thoughts. Either way I like it :thumb:

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Thank you for making everything on optical drives clear. I feel more confident now! Gonna be hard to choose the best designs.

I'll go with the narrow window. It looks more serious, like a frown, rather than a big gay smile. :D

9. Roboduck

Don't take my word as right or wrong it just my opinion, thats all.

oh and "big gay smile"? :eyebrow:

A little off topic but I saw this a while ago and thought it was interesting: People attracted to cars with angry faces

Kinda pertains to what Razer is getting at.

10. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've just read the original thread about this. I don't think they plan to do a short production run in fact it reads:

'the new case will form part of a new line of water-cooling-inspired cases made by Phobya and will be sold around the world...'

From that I would say they're aiming at a large market.

11. GuilleAcoustic

Nice link, very funny.

Thank you guy's for your comments. I did try a narrower version :

[​IMG]

12. Roboduck

The case designed here will be part of a line of cases made by Phobya. But the winner from this competition will not be made in large numbers.

Edit: I just want to add that in no way am I saying the contestants should shoot for some crazy expensive idea. I still think the case needs to be easily manufactured and "reasonable" in price. Ive tried to keep my design as simple to manufacture as possible and I believe most of the others have as well. Most of these guys are not engineers and don't have any experience in manufacturing so I don't expect "production ready" designs from anyone. It will be the job of Phobya's engineers to transform the design concept into a case that can actually be produced in small numbers.

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Ah, thank you. I missed it. I hadn't realised Phobya had said that.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Making a production-ready design isn't that hard actually. The design I've shown in the first stage would be production-ready for example.

All you have to think of is: can you manufacture the case easily yourself using a CNC, laser/water-jet and a press-break.

The contest is just not setup the right way, with too little involvement of the people who are actually manufacturing the design/s in the end. They're the ones to clarify on all these questions, not the users of these forums.

15. Roboduck

I have a 2700 page Machinery's Handbook that begs to differ. There are a lot of things that may not be so obvious, especially to those who have never used any of those machines before. Its hard to understand if you don't work in the industry but there are a lot of little things that can make designs very easy or very difficult to manufacture. There is also a big difference between making 1 prototype and making 50+ production cases. Any secondary work you have to do after the 1st operation is multiplied buy the number of cases and can add up to a lot of extra time and cost.

Trust me on this one, even big name company's get it wrong sometimes.

All I am saying is that not everyone is at the same level of expertise and should not be expected to have the same knowledge. Thats all.

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Look at the cases you've bought so far and you'll get a pretty decent picture of what is possible to do with sheet-metal and the machines mentioned. That's all.

This isn't rocket-science after all, but simple mechanics.

17. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

GuilleAcoustic:
    Your case has certainly morphed the most this round. A slim tower is what I had in mind for my own scratch build. I'm glad you dropped the SR2 size. Anyone who needed that many cores and cards would have got one by now along with a suitable case/bench-table. That's before SandyBridge made it mostly obsolete.

Saying that I hope you have not completely shelved your MATX design. I'd love to see some of your current evolutions applied too it.

The 'radbox' is crying out for QDC's between it and the main chamber. They should be nicely accessible and hidden from view too. Though super handy I tend to find they look horrible dangling in full view. I'm looking to incorporate them as bulkhead features in my build. Tidy and hopefully not too much of a space hog.

On that note might it be worth while investigating the ball-bearing rails in the Coolermaster ATCS840? Could help with so many heavy slidey bits?

Any idea as to fan filters? Personally I'm partial to the Corsair 600T's pop off/on style and Lian-Li's X2000 monolithic slide out one. Both don't require dismantling the case or pulling them out at an awkward angle which is a massive plus.

Unfortunately neither of your windows really tickle my fancy. I like the idea of the wrap around but the shapes will need some more auditioning to get a feel of it.

You have certainly caught my interest. Keep it up. :thumb:

Razer2007:
    The side ODD bay is much nicer, and the filter is looking good. Although I like that you have brought the fillports back, I don't like where you have positioned them or that they are not hidden. I'd move the HDD cage towards the back and bring the ports under a flap over the front chamber.

subtec:
    Also still looking good. I really really hope you consider sparing the cm or two height for a filter. Please. That's all it needs for near perfection. :eek: It literally looks the business. :hip:

Also I'd be interested to see a study of your case replacing the 140mm fans with 120mm and overall shortening it. Could still be quite neat when used with a bay pump/res.

SnowyOwl:
    Also still looking good. I prefer the white.

====
    On 5.25" bays, I still think they are too prevalent to do away with. Its not just for ODD's but a case with this many fans is for not without a fan controller (I've yet to see a good integrated effort and even then what to do with breakages) and at least 2 manufacturers have brought out stonking single or dual DDC/D5 bay res's so far. I'd vote for keep.
    ====

If I had to pick one right now I'd still go for SnowyOwl. Then it's a close punch up between subtec and GuilleAcoustic. Frankly I'd be happy with either 3 as they are already better then anything on the market, inc the likes of DD and MM. Good work!:dremel:

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

10 days left and all I've done is move the rads/mobo. ><

19. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

Im not being funny but your comments as far as this competition go, are all negative. I know your not happy with how the comp has been setup etc and I loved your design, but..... as my mum used to say -

-if you hav'nt got something nice to say (or atleast constructive) then dont say anything.

"All you have to think of is: can you manufacture the case easily yourself using a CNC, laser/water-jet and a press-break."

- Yeah just give me a few years so I can go and learn what can and cant be done with this machinery, then Ill come back to the competition yeah.....

No it is'nt rocket science but professionals either have years of education, are time served, or both.

looking at my case - CM 690 II. (no real product manufacture knowledge)

Molded plastics.... how do you do those on the above machinery??? and there seem to be alot of 'pressed'/stamped parts... lip forming.... oh and we need a mold for the feet.

that doesnt say 'press brake' or 'bending brake' but with either piece of equipment Ive only seen upto 90degree bends... my case front currently has an acute 25.9 degree angle in there.......

Bit of a rant I know, but come on....

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

A sheet folder is nothing else then a press brake. Excuse me for not using the term mentioned by Nitrix. :rolleyes:

And why should people not critizise something, but shut up instead? If you can't take the critizism, then I couldn't care less about that.
    Mature up buddy, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.