1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPad 2 Dual-Core CPU Rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Jan 2011.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What would be the point in a 12" iPad? It does everything it's supposed to do perfectly well in its current format, and the additional screen size would not in my opinion add any benefit, whereas it would make the thing more unwieldy. I'd be very surprised.

Didn't know Facetime was nailed on, but glad to hear it. 5MP on back sounds a bit wasted - can't see many people using an iPad as a camera (I think it would be pretty awkward to use as one), but I guess it means you can use the switch function of Facetime to show what you're looking at rather than showing your own face. Still seems an odd inclusion.

iPad mini could happen - I bet Apple is considering it, depending on success of devices such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab. at between 6 and 7 inches it would be usefully bigger than the iPhone but not far off portable sized. As an eBook reader it would make a lot of sense (I just got a Kindle, which is probably similar in size to what a 6-7" iPad would be, and in my opinion it is perfectly sized as an eBook reader). As a portable video device it would be a nice compromise between smartphone size (just a fraction too small for my liking) and full sized iPad. I think it's a possibility. By no means certain but I'd say more likely by an order of magnitude than a 12" iPad.

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I've been looking at tablets long before the iPad and the issues have always been: (1) Too expensive, (2) underpowered &, (3) poor battery life. I'd buy one if Apple can solve all three (power is still an issue for me). Unfortunately they've added (4) too restricted.

That concerns me as well but I don't think they'd release one without keeping the battery life at least close to the last generation.

My name is Tyinsar and I (whole-heartedly) support this proposition.

True but I get annoyed by "butt calls". It's just not my thing ok?

3. kempez

kempez modding again!

As has been stated above, I've not seen a tablet out there that has the features and build quality at a price point near an iPad. Apple price high, but their products are quality. There is no tablet out there for a good amount less than an iPad that compares well to an iPad, at the moment. If there was, I would be looking very hard at buying it.

So laugh away and next time back your one line post (plus an edited quote), up with some fact :nono:

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

why are people not saying "wow nice res!, now gimme that on a real laptop and you can have all my dollars!" "+ my wife"

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I think that the iPad is one of the best price/performance tablets out there and for an Apple device it's not that expensive compared to what it is capable of.

6. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

would make a nice 2nd ( or even 3rd ) portable touchscreen monitor if you could sync it in ok.

7. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Really don't get what all the fuss is about. I'm not an Apple fan at all. I remember when everyone was like buy a MAC they crash less than windows no viruses. Well obv cos they have a tiny market share compared to windows so much less likely to have a virus written for it. As for crashing i'm sure windows could write a stable system if they limited it to certian hardware setups. Apple is so stable because they try to force you to use predefined hardware set ups. Windows you can run on just about anything.

Just find they are often inferior to other products that are cheaper and more fit for purpose. Don't get me started on the retina display! Resolution is NOT higher than the eye can make out.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Pure Win, I'm buying two.

9. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

While I'm windows all the way for proper PCs (.pages not able to be opened in open office or word? I mean really?!) Apple products are not really that much more than if you are to buy a system when you look at the components. A mate of mine just bought a 27" imac, the ISP panel accounts for about half the price of it (looking at the dell ISP monitor).

Mobile though apple really do offer competitive rates and their products just feel well built. the iphone 4 works out at about £100 or £5 a month more than the samsung gal S (back when it was lunched). I've only briefly looked at the samsung, but I'd say I made the right choice with the iphone.

I've been looking at getting a tablet, the basic ipad and the Samsung tablet come in at the same price. the ipad with a better and larger screen or the samsung with 3G.

Also as far as battery power goes, I'm sure it will be fine. The iphone 4 has double the resolution of the 3GS, a more powerful cpu and manages 40% more battery power.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Two things;

1.) The Dell IPS monitor is far better than the current 27'' iMac screen. It's not glossy, it's not using off-white LED backlights. For people actually using the screen for creative purposes (rather than messing about in iPhoto) these things are VERY important.

2.) 5 years down the line when the Mac and PC you're comparing are ready to be replaced, the PC user just buys a new CPU, motherboard and RAM, usually a sub-£500 upgrade even if you're going for real performance kit. The Mac user has to buy a whole new iMac, inluding a new IPS monitor because they're bolted together. THAT is why buying an iMac is a damned stupid idea.

Back on the iPad thing... I don't understand why they'd go for this resolution, why not stick to 1920 horizontal pixels in a 4:3 format? Nobody needs more than that, especially on a tablet. It doesn't seem sensible to make a tablet that will have to upscale HD content to display it properly on the screen, especially when the iPad already feels sluggish.

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, WHAT? The iPad is the least sluggy tablet I have ever tried. All the Android tablets with their fancy "I canz do flazzh" lags like no end whenever I browse the web. I'd much rather have an iPad for webbrowsing and day to day use than an Android tablet. My only gripe with the iPad is that it defaults to Apples very "locked" stance on basically anything.

12. Yslen

Oh, I don't have any other tablets to compare it to. It feels slower to use compared to my desktop or even my 5-year-old (ubuntu) laptop though. There's a notable difference in the time it takes to open a browser and load a web page for example.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

-.-' That's like saying, "HEY, this bicycle is crap because my Ferrari is faster". Afterall the CPU speed of the iPad is much lower than either your laptop or your desktop.

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Mine is almost instantaneous, perhaps its your internet connection thats the problem.

15. Yslen

Yeah, but that would be a perfectly valid argument to make if the bicycle cost more than a Ferrari. My laptop was cheaper when new than an iPad is now, so it's a very valid comparison. For reference my laptop CPU is 1.6GHz, so there's not that much in it.

It could be an incompatibility between the internet here and the iPad, yes. I have noticed that it is much more demanding of bandwidth too. For example, if someone is using the majority of our connection streaming video (we have a slow connection, BBC iPlayer uses most of it) then the iPad simply fails to load any web page. Other people in the house using Windows/Linux have no such issue - there is a delay of perhaps 10 seconds due to the lack of bandwidth but they do actually load the page. If I actually used the iPad myself I'd look into it, but as I don't I can't be bothered.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Well maybe a dual core CPU will allow for REAL multitasking on the iPad 2. I haven't touched an iPad in a while so is it still limited to non-multitasking?

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yeah 4.2 added multitasking

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

My prediction is:
    *same(ish) size screen
    *higher resolution
    *same battery life
    *faster processor
    *thinner
    *lighter
    *same(ish) price
    *front-facing camera
    *possibly thinner bezel around the screen

Either way I'm going to pre-order it. I don't see android tablets being able to match it within the year - they're still lagging behind the existing one. (Plus I hear the Tesco app for iOS is excellent - brownie points with the missus :D)

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I can't recommend it because I've never used it, but I read about this app 10 minutes before I read your post:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idisplay/id363500805?mt=8

And I can see a use for this too. Certainly for stocks-tickers.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lemme check the mayan calendar again

Tags: Add Tags