1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dawn of War: Retribution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 8 Jan 2011.

1. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Oooh Beta. Time to find my old DoW1 disk, reinstall and link to steam. I avoided DoW2 as I was told it wasn't all that, but I'm all outta games now, is it worth a purchase or is it better waiting for Retribution?

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Feb... say good bye to life, you've got Warhammer to complete.

That'll be me pre-ordering the Space Marine pack ;)

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

4. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

It's different to what i thought it would be. Space Marine's are advanced humans with heavy armour and big ass guns more or less, which is all well and good but i don't seem to share your love for them :D
    Some of the ones i do find very interesting don't seem to be to developed lore wise unfortunately.

5. Phalanx

Name what you're after, I can help :)

6. nukeman8

just read up a bit more and it appears the 2 lots im interested in have 2 different problems.

Kroots - relatively new lot apparently, which would explain the lot of info. Maybe have been thrown in the with the Tau?

Squats - awful name but interesting lot, seemed to have be removed from the game and apparently slowly eroded away from the lore to, so in essence i guess at some point they won't even exist.

7. Phalanx

The Kroot are an avian species who were found by the Tau Empire and joined them. They are most commonly used as auxiliaries by the Tau, useful for their stealth, speed and cunning. They also have mercenary tendencies and are know for their tribal ways. They have a special ability to evolve based on the DNA of things they eat. So for example, if they kill an Eldar and ingest flesh, they could end up developing psyker powers.

This also puts them on a dangerous footing, as many people would consider them along the same lines as Tyranids, due to their ability to evolve based on a pattern, and far quicker than normal.

The Squats I would suggest you forget about. Dwarfs in space. They were dropped by Games Workshop many, many years ago, retconned into lore that the Tyranids devoured them :)

8. Phalanx

Blademrk likes this.
  9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have it, plus the expansion, and I'd agree with whoever told you 'its not all that', but then there does seem to be a big fanbase here. Wait and see what Retribution brings is my advice.

10. nukeman8

Tis a shame i got a soft spot for dwarves, seems a bit sloppy to just try and erased them out like that thou.

Kroots are indeed an interesting lot, sort of like Tyranids but not hell bent of devouring everything that moves. Rumours of secret underground factories and their ability to absorb others DNA is right up my street. Shame they are lobbed in with the Tau, they seem to be up to no good. Every time i read about the "greater good" i cringe.

*edit - what's the first warhammer 40k pc game? Looking on steam for 1.

11. Phalanx

Bear in mind that not all Kroot converted to the greater good. Many of them are mercenaries working for Inquisitors, Imperial armies, running their own warbands or even joining Chaos. They're possibly the most open race in the whole of 40k. They fight for what THEY believe in, not for what their RACE believes in; whether that's survival, money or religion is up to them.

The Tau Empire has more than two races in it also. There is also Demiurg, Galgs, Humans, Nicassar, Tarellians and Vespids. The Tau Empire is a belief based on a choice, rather than the Imperial Creed where it's a belief forced upon you :)

The Tau and the Tau Empire are two different things ;) There are also faction splits within the Tau themselves, with rogue commanders and the like.

The first game is just called Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  12. nukeman8

Ah its all good then, steam has Dawn of War - Platinum Edition for a tenner so im gonna get stuck in that :thumb:

13. Phalanx

Add me on Steam if you need a hand with anything 40k nukeman8.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/catachan/

Happy to help with background or any questions (I own pretty much every 40k reference book or novel ever written, and I write for GW).

That offer also goes for anyone else on Steam who wants to talk 40k ;)

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  14. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

I am very excited about this!

Unfortunately I will be waiting for a PC upgrade so that I can play it at max settings (currently struggle to get 25fps at min settings on DOW2).

The recommended requirements (from steam) are:
    Processor: Any Core 2 , Athlon X2, or better
    Memory: 2GB RAM or higher (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
    Hard Disk Space: 8.5GB space free
    Video Card: 256 MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Nvidia GeForce 7800GT or any Nvidia GT200 series or better, ATI X1900 or any HD3600 series or better

These are pretty much the same as DOW2 but since my system just meets these I wouldn't recommend anyone buys it expecting to play it at medium or above with these specs...

15. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Shush your heretical mouth. They're fantastic. Barely human, Genetically enhanced, Medically Enhanced, Walking tanks! I've always apprechiated the father of Gears of War and Halo machines. I.e. Space Marines are the precursor to just about every FPS for the past 10 years!

Damn you Phalanx... don't make me set the Inquisition on you for stealing my ground.

16. Phalanx

Would they be accompanied by mercenary Kroot? :p Mate, I know you're heavily into 40k too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was just stating what I know, as I have a closer relationship with GW than most people, so I'm always happy to help out.

17. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

*Nods to Space Marine standing behind him* Xeno-sympathiser.

Granted mate, it's a joke on the behalf of all 40K's her who understand the Inquisitions insane ways of operating.

Always great to find other 40k players who are into the lore and fluff behind each race. A close friend knows alot about the Eldar, I'm a Space Marine idoliser by nature aswell as most parts of the human side. People seem to focus on different bits. But as a whole 40K is fantastic.

18. nukeman8

Exactly, complete Halo and you already done the whole space marine thing lol.

How many games do you see DNA assimilating bird-aliens? I assume there aren't many vegetarian kroots :D

19. Phalanx

You really haven't :) Space Marines are something entirely different, and they have essentially been dumbed down for Halo/Gears of War people :) If you read just ONE novel with Space Marines in (40k Space Marines, that is), you'll understand. Master Chief would be torn into little pieces before he could even strike one of his manly poses :) And that's coming from a Halo fan!

There are NO vegetarian Kroot (Kroot is plural as well as singular) :) - And now you begin to understand why Warhammer 40,000 is considered one of the best science-fiction backgrounds around.

20. nukeman8

There's also no squats :worried:
    I know i have been interested in this for all of 1 day but i hope they officially do something more than "they were wiped out by the Tyranids and theres maybe a few left working as mercs".
    I know they are just dwarves in space but eldars are basically just elves in space :D