1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ac4155

ac4155 What's a Dremel?

At the moment a politics/ history teacher who can't teach for toffee, yet thinks he is funny.

So not really that bad at the moment for me. I just hope it stays this way.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'd make the switch but.... I doubt you'd want an OCZ Gladiator Maxx and I'm also pretty sure the noctua wouldn't fit in my case anyway :hehe:

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Ice dams.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

And you're a canadian...

Aboot!

5. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Insomnia.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Never said aboot in my life :thumb:

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I don't really have anything ruining my life right now. More of like a few minor annoyances.

1) My stupid Explorer. For the 4th year in a row I am spending 3/4ths of my tax return to repair it. This year it's the brakes. I'd get rid of it if I had the credit to get a half-way decent interest rate >.>

2) I'm broke. Spent a wee bit too much on Christmas gifts this year. I don't care because everyone loved their gifts and it made me happy to see how excited the were to receive them. Oh well, only 9 more days until payday :p

3) I suppose the last one is that my schedule at work changes every 2 weeks, but that is OK I suppose.

EDIT: Ha! Only took me 6 years and some change but I finally hit 1,000 posts. w00t! :D

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

French Canadians pronounce it correctly. Regular Canadians, not so much :hehe:

9. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

My car was impounded last night. I apparently never updated the registration(expired in march). I specifically remember doing it though. I remember writing and mailing the check and having the paperwork in hand but I was in the process of packing and moving out of an apartment and I thought it got misplaced. I went through every bit of paper that I could find in the house and couldn't find it. I knew I'd be OK if it came to it and the police checked. apparently no. I got home last night and went to the basement and played around on guitar for a bit. a little bit of WoW. I decided I needed to eat and wanted to get some crackers to go with Chili that I made. I went outside, car: gone. I heard nothing.

$300 and two hours late to work today and I've got the car back. Yeah, it's my mistake, I should have made sure. Still ****. Also pretty sure it wasn't a random check and the ******* that keeps partially blocking my driveway called it in.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

My "check engine soon" light has come on. My brother said he could help but that fell though. Now at short notice I have to get it fixed.

11. October

October Mariachi Style

I thought getting cut to 20 was bad...well, from 40 when there's bills and rent to pay it is :grr:

Same story in my place, hired three people just over a month ago then slice the hours in half, ridiculous.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Can't sleep, at all, I've got an exam in the morning, and everytime I shut my eyes I see equations, numbers, circuits etc... It's a bloody pain!

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

good :thumb:

I've had one for two years and no one wants to help me. Apparently oxygen sensors killing a catalytic converter because of bad air/fuel mix is no big deal

pfff

(by no one I mean my father and brother and I don't have the cash to take it to the garage)

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

depends if it is the front oxygen sensor or rear oxygen sensor.

the front one will affect your air/fuel mix and can cause horrible fuel mileage. the rear one generally makes no difference.

my dad has a code reader and on my car it sometimes shows the rear one is bad.

the code reader was just under $200.

may seem pricey but after my sister had to take her car to the dealership and pay $50 for them to tell her the engine light code was because the gas cap wasn't tightened all the way, we decided it was worth the cost.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have to finish ALL my psych HW that I haven't done in weeks.

mvagusta likes this.
  16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It turns out that my car meets California emission laws which sucks considering I'm in Wisconsin. The exhaust system has an air pump so the C02 coming out of the tail pipe is "cleaner" which makes no sense because the same amount of CO2 is coming out maybe even more considering it needs power to run the pump. GAY GAY GAY, I hate California GAY GAY GAY.... so my mechanic just cleared the code and now everything is fine.

17. automagsrock

My computer is only seeing one of my hard drives right now. I know the second drive works fine because I put it in a different computer and it works just fine. This upsets me because Steam is installed on that drive and now I can't play any of the games I have.

Before you say "just reinstall it and download them" I have crappy 1.5 Mbps DSL. I don't feel like waiting until Friday to play Bad Company 2 >.>

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I have swapped SATA cables and also tried every open SATA port on my board. My poor Mobo is dying on me :(

18. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

If you can somehow access that other drive, install steam on your current working one and then copy over the BFBC2 folder from steamapps/common/ on your non-working drive over to the working one (via the wizardry of external hard-drives or other such backuppery). Then no need to re-download!

As for what's ruining my life - getting a blood test this morning then almost boaking everywhere. Also my shower broke so I'm going to have to spend all evening doing some somewhat dubious DIY, which eats into my precious gaming time. :nono:

19. automagsrock

I wish I could do that b0ng0, but I don't have an external drive :(

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah automags, ports/buses is dying usually a sure sign that the board is on it's way out. My advice to people seeing those sort of problems is usually to get everything important on the machine backed up as soon as possible because you never know what will happen when the board eventually dies. Maybe it will go with no fuss, just not boot for you one morning, but it may also fry a SATA line and damage one of your hard drives. It's better to be safe than sorry - back that sucker up!

What's ruining my life right now is similar - one of my own i7 machines is giving bother. It's randomly (really randomly) switching off, as if someone's pulled the plug, then a few seconds later, booting back up again. I've spent literally weeks trying to diagnose the fault and cannot find what is wrong with the thing. I've had as many as 30 temperature sensors and thermal IR probes hooked up to the interal components whilst running stress tests to see if it's an overheating issue (which it seemed to be as my first diagnosis). After that returned no "off the charts" results, I pulled the PSU out and ran a full battery of tests on that. Nothing - the PSU is solid as a rock. Then I got desperate. I pulled the whole machine apart, reseated everything and ran it again - same result. Finally, this morning - over three weeks after the problem started - I have resorted to component swapping to try and identify a faulty component in the machine. I abslutely hate identifying intermittent faults. Even more so when it's my own equipment :grr:

Also, I have to go and pick up another faulty machine later today - I have already identified the fault with it - the OCZ vertex (v1) SSD is dead in it. That's two in 6 months. The Vertex SSD's have the words "excellent MTBF (mean time before failure) compared to mechanical disks" on the back of the packaging, among the advertising blurb. Excellent MTBF my ass, one of my own Vertex disks failed last year and one of my customers' last week - thank goodness I had them set up with weekly OS mirror backups.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011