1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs On 1378 KM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Jan 2011.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I am familiar with the experiments Cthippo mentioned, but I suspect people can learn to apply conformity in a more selective fashion if they are presented with adequate opportunity to experiment and develop the judgement skills required.

I'm not saying that playing CS will prepare you for the reality of a gunfight, but being faced with simulated situations where an authority figure orders you to behave in morally objectionable ways may help make people better at dealing with such situations in the real world.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What's the motivation behind these groups? What would they like the world to be like? :confused:

one thing I found out reading the wiki about the Milgram experiment is that the results varied significantly by country. 92% of subjects in the Netherlands went to full "voltage" while only 40% in Australia did. Form your own interpretations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment#Replications_and_variations

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

So...how does it actually play? I mean, what do you have to do? Is it multiplayer? And how does bit-tech rate it?

4. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

5. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I tried playing it... from what I can tell there's 3 fences with one hole in it *somewhere*. as a runner you have no weapons and just need to run through.

Haven't played defender.

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Very interesting - I wasn't aware of all the different variations. I don't think anything can be said about the effects of gaming from those results as countries where gaming is a popular pastime have some of the highest and lowest scores. The precise type of games played by each individual would likely affect the results anyway.

Looking at that table it seems interesting that only 10% of participants went all the way when two other "teachers" rebelled. This suggests that if a strong sense of morality over authority could be imparted even to a small proportion of the population, it would make a difference to the number of people conforming to a course of action they know to be immoral.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Mostly they'd like to be alone in their country I suppose.
    Not known for their great thinking, though :D

Dispie:
    if you are the white, blue-eyed one, there's places in Rotterdam you shouldn't go to at night alone...
    There's certainly places in Amsterdam where a white kid is not accepted at night.

Probably this feeling also influences right tendencies.
    Interestingly, in Germany, the most open right-wing-extremists are in the part of the country with the LEAST amount of foreigners. So I really don't know what the heck they want.
    Don't really want to know either though.

8. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

I live in a neighbourhood that is marked as a place were i should not walk at night, but i feel safer there between al the multi colored people. We all exchange food in summer we do bbq with the street and we look out for one and other just like it use to be with but white people lost there friendlyness long ago in this country.

Im more scare of stupid people like taughtless Nasi's we had some in our street for a while they were to scare to say anything to black people so they picked on me for being a alternative person sad really.

Thats way overrated thats just hate proppeganda about amsterdam i been in the worsed neigbourhoods there at night drunk and all and never had a problem.

We have the same in holland the most rightwing extremist live in places were there are no foreigners, but thats just it there afaired of what they don't know.

9. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I can think of a much better way of doing this that would provoke rather more thought and a little less simulated mass slaughter of digital civilians. Recreate a section of the Wall in the atrium of the Tate modern. Put a mannequin of a civilian sneaking around nearby and another of a guard on top of the wall taking aim with a rifle at the potential defector. Then let people walk around it, experiencing both viewpoints.

Every medium is suitable for different messages. Given the current reputation video games have in some quarters for mindless violence and disrespect of historical events, among other things, I'd say now is not the time for this particular video game.

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thou hath got point...

11. omicron

omicron Baud.

The whole thing seems to have been one enormous publicity stunt.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

That's your experience, i've been chased out of "Nieuwendijk"street 10 minutes after the shops closed, beeing called at, spit at, threatened just for beeing white.
    ("Nieuwendijk" is a very touristy shopping street in Amsterdam that runs right into the main town square)
    Those who can't give tolerance shouldn't expect it.:grr:

Tags: Add Tags