1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

theres a difference between 'constructive criticism' and 'criticism'

a sheet folder does exactly what it says on the tin..... but it doesnt tell you whats in the tin...

a press brake and a sheet metal bender/folder are two very different things. (im sure you know this)

you dont like the competition.... I get it. :sigh:

I am enjoying it regardless of a lack of technical knowledge, or a lack of input from Phobya.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks a lot :). I did'nt have much time tonigh to work on my design, but here is the new things.

I did work on the side filter. I already had in mind some monolith filter and here they are :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made some screenshot of the case window mk1 with hardware inside :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will keep working on the window shape and make something to really isolate back cooling zone from front hardware zone.

A question, what is QDC's ? Ball-bearing rail, good idea. I'm gonna try it :D

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

A QDC is a quick disconnect, normally sold by Koolance :)

they allow you to change hardware easily!

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

A QDC is a quick disconnect, normally sold by Koolance :)

they allow you to change hardware easily!

5. GuilleAcoustic

OK, I just found it on internet. I didn't knew that type of fittings. I had in mind to use threaded pass-through with standard compression fitting ... but I was searching a way to have a "safety" unplug system (way-valve) to prevent tsunami while unplugging filled tubing.

That's just perfect. Now I can completly seal the space between rad chamber and main chamber. I'll make threaded block to pass through it

[​IMG]

or simples bulkheads

[​IMG]

and use threaded QDC on both side (resulting in a male - male one, passing through the separation panel) .

[​IMG]

That's the simple and perfect solution to my problem. Thank you guys :D

EDIT : This is my today lunch time design attempt :). I did try another style of window, totally different. What do you think of it (sorry, this is a basic version of the case, with no hardware in it, my computer here at work has still a PCI matrox video card ... cannot hold the 90Mo sketchup file :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  6. SnowyOwl

SnowyOwl What's a Dremel?

Wow Guille that thing is really comming togheter , i love the shape it's taking i'm for the last version of the window and the smalest window you did earlier it looks like something out of the Tron Movie great job:rock:

Could you post some pics with a Tj07 to see what the size of that thing looks like

Keep up the good work

7. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I like the thin window but I'm not sure about the curly "V" shape. It looks a bit cowboy-ish and doesn't really fit the rest of the design. Don't get me wrong I REALLY like your design I just think a more angular thin window would look a little more modern. Other than that :thumb:

8. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Happy to help. :D

It's looking very swish. :thumb:

Here's a thread talking about Bitspower bulkhead fittings which are nice and shiny like all BP stuff:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253878

I've seen them in a good mod here somewhere too but I forget which it was.

And here is a very good article on QDC's:
    http://skinneelabs.com/qdc.html

In fact I recommend you read all of http://skinneelabs.com/ if your serious about your watercooling.

On closer looking I'm thinking you may need to provide more space to bend the cables coming out of the top. It looks very tight but I could be wrong or you have not got that far yet.

Another thought for a feature if there is the space - Sound deadening baffles behind the air filters. Kind of like these:
    Fractal Design R3:
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/01/fractal-design-r2-case-review/4.jpg
    Lian Li PC-B25S:
    http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/pc-b25s/b25s-30s.jpg
    Lian Li PC-B25:
    http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/B25/b25011.jpg

I don't know if they work well enough for the effort but I think its worth a look and nows the time to do it. If the fans are shrouded on the rads that should have a smiler effect on the exhaust making it super quiet.

9. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Now that you mention it, some lights under the base or EL string highlighting would look sweet on it.

Could we see a window size mid way between the two sizes showing half the motherboard?

Maybe even the small window with another mirrored a little lower down kind of like the lights on this keyboard.

Hmmm... :hip:

10. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

@GuilleAcoustic

First window style makes me think of this guy:
    [​IMG]
    (metroid work robot)

And this for the second
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, I prefer the former. Middle-sized window looks the best IMO.

11. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, here is a try of mirrored window :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry again, I'm doing this at work during my lunch time and my computer is ... hmmm ... slow :wallbash:. So this is a a light version of the case with no hardware at all.

You're right, I've noticed that and will fix it during the case top design. Right now this is only a flat panel. Trying 2 or 3 things to test the way it will be held in place and how you'll access the wires.

Oh yeah I like the robot. Reminds me of the design of the old B&W sci-fi movies :D ... and for the V I got it, I knew it reminds me of something but can't remember what. I'll keep with the angular one.

@SnowyOwl : I've already posted pics side by side with a tj07. They are out dated since I skrinked the case in both width and depth (keeping the base a perfect square) and I shrinked the feet too. I'll make another one, but here are the previous ones :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Roboduck : thanks for your comments :) and yes, I don't know what I had in mind when I designed the V shaped one :naughty:

The dead line is coming hope I'll finish everything int time. Whoever goes to stage03 will makes me happy, even if I'm not among them. Good luck to everyone, I'm glad we are all helping each other, and not fighting.

12. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I like that window design MUCH better :D. The size looks pretty good too, I was expecting it to be much larger but that could easily fit on a desk.

13. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

The case is looking very awesome Guille

14. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Guile - Can you post an updated comparison with the tj07? You have really filled-in your design and it is looking great!

As for my entry, there are no new pics. SketchUp just does not like complex geometry, at least not the free version, the description of the pro version sounds like it is more capable. I should have time this evening to put together what I have so far and try to run it through vray.

Just a note, I need to give a big "thank you" to all of the people who have contributed to the Sketchup Component Collection site run by jez!

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  15. GuilleAcoustic

Oh yeah, big thank you to all those persons.

@everyone : Thank you for all your kind words. It'll be hard to pick one particular case. They are all different and all awesome.

I think the main problem lies in the fact you canno't control the mesh at the triangles level. The number of poly grow up too much with complexe shape.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  16. zukomonitor

Thanks for that Subtec, I went back to sketchup and carried on...... allthough I've basically had to do the complete thing again! :duh: with my noob'ness in SU I had drawn things outside of active and it became so frustrating to fix my errors that I started again lol

should have some new pics up tomorrow for you guy's to critique :D

@GuilleAcoustic - I have to take my hat off to you fella, your design is awsome! I liked the 'idea' in stage 1, but tbh overall I didnt like it..... but now, what a superb use of space and good looks to boot!
    P.s I like the new mirrored window :D looks like it means business!!! I still like the idea of a full window, where you can see the hardware & tubes. Anyway, nice one:thumb:

and an apology to the competion and participants for not being as involved - sorry guy's. There just isnt enough hours in the day! and only 9 days to go! arghh! lol

and yes, credit where its due - a big thanks to the SU component collection contributors and Jez for putting the site up.

17. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot, I'm waiting forward to your new pics. I liked the idea of the V shaped dual rad.

Here are some new pics to show the window and the HDD rack cover (I'm not too happy with it, maybe I should made one where we cannot see the white HDD rails ... looks weird).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic with the outside hidden. As you can see, now the main zone and the cooling zone are completely separated. Only bulkhead with barbs allow the coolant to flee :) (thanks rocket_knight for the QDC idea, I will model them lately too replace the standard barbs)

[​IMG]

Here are 2 pics I made for fun. I'll make some at home with hardware installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incoming updates :

- I have to make the rail to help moving motherboard and rad trays inside / outside
    - I have to make all the tubing and the QDC to pass through zone separation
    - Power buttons, USB and jack connectors
    - Top cover design and how it will be removed / slided / etc.
    - Case skeleton to attach all panel.

18. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Added the fillports again, with a cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. zukomonitor

I may of missed Thursday by a couple of minutes but, as promised lol -

I originally wanted the case to look something like this - with the res's visible from the front, but the EK multioption's were abit big. so this really is my finished stage 1 entry...
    [​IMG]

and this is where I'm at now - had to go back to the start and change a couple of things.
    spec after pics :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so... Ive changed the res's for 'zern' small, fill ports connected with T's (not done yet), hard drive caddy reworked but only room for 4 :sigh: but I will have 3 drive bays -
    optical - fan controller and ssd bay adapter 'thingy ma bob'

Oh and yes the case exterior is missing from the pics, need to adjust it for new res placement and longer case length (now the same length as Tjo7)

:thumb:

20. zukomonitor

just some more tubing

:D

[​IMG]

getting good at this! (i wish lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.